I currently have Ohm Walsh 2 speakers which I've had for about 20 years now. With current connection problems to one speaker, I am considering purchasing new speakers. I am looking at your M22v2 bookshelf speakers, but feel without a subwoofer the bass response is lacking. Is this true? The M50v2's, on the other hand, have a much better bass response but are floorstanding speakers as opposed to the M22's, thus bigger and perhaps too much for this size room. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be calling along the way with more questions. Not being able to go and listen first hand to any of these speakers makes me nervous, despite your 30-day free trial. Take care. Hope to hear back from you soon.
Geoff

------------------------------------

Hello Geoff,

Your room is just under 1400 cu. ft., so it's on the small side (an average living room is about 2200 cu. ft). If you'd like a pair of bookshelf speakers with surprisingly good bass output, get the Axiom M3 v2. It has a larger woofer than the M22 v2 and more apparent bass output.

That said, remember that the larger the speaker enclosure, the deeper the bass and the greater the overall bass output. So any floorstanding Axiom speaker will deliver greater bass extension and more output than any bookshelf speaker. Also consider that no floorstanding speaker will deliver as deep bass as, for example, the Axiom EP400 or EP500 subwoofers. If your budget can support it, the EP400 is a fantastic subwoofer, and married with the M22s, you'd have a dynamite system, capable of even deep pipe-organ pedal tones to the low 20-Hz region.

The M22 v2 has what I call "pleasant" bass, but it's not deep or powerful, so in your small room, even the EP125 subwoofer would do a fine job of extending and increasing the bass output.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/ep125_main.html
The M50 v2's would not be too much speaker for your room.

I think the best choice for you would be to audition the M3 v2's for 30 days, then decide later on if you want to add a subwoofer for greater bass extension. By the way, the M3's have good bass output to 40 Hz--that is the bottom string on an acoustic double bass or an electric bass.

The M50 v2's don't have quite as much clarity and detail as the M22s or M3s. It's subtle, but audible.

Kind regards,

Alan Lofft