Hi Alan,

Is it true about the "Toshiba's Case" being defeated by the Sony Blu-ray? I already purchased an HD-DVD player right before Christmas and I only have 30 days to return it. So please let me know.

Thanks,

Oscar

------------------------------------

Hi Oscar,

Sony is trying very hard to make Blu-ray players the dominant hi-def DVD format, but the situation is also complicated by which format (HD-DVD or Blu-ray) the studios that produce the films choose to side with.

I do not believe the "war" will be decided anytime soon, and we may be stuck with two formats for another year or two.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray each have strengths and weaknesses, but I think it will be the movie studios' decisions that will make one or the other the so-called winner. I can't predict how this will all sort out and it's unfortunate that one universal format couldn't have been decided on at the outset. Standard DVD became hugely popular because Toshiba, who developed it, got all the other brands to agree on one worldwide standard.

As to your own case, I believe there will be a supply of HD-DVD movies available for a long time, but Sony seems to want to win this one, after their failure years ago to establish Betamax video as the world standard. (JVC's VHS eventually became the world videotape standard and Betamax disappeared).

Kind regards, Alan