Hi,
I have been reading the technical articles on this site, and I'm an Axiom owner. I have an A/V technical question. Question one concerns a speaker's sentivity measured at 1 watt/per meter, which equals a specific decibel rating. Example: 90 decibels output at 1 watt sensitivity. My understanding is that to produce 93 decibels this speaker would need 2 watts, or 4 watts to produce 96 decibels, or 8 watts to produce 99 decibels. What I am wondering is how can all the different speakers on the market produce a 3-decibel increase with double the power? Is this correct or is it a "rough" guideline.
Thanks,
Stephen

-----

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your question. To put decibels in context, a sound level of 90 decibels is very loud, and 99 decibels is about as loud as most live acoustic music (except rock concerts) like a full symphony orchestra ever gets on peaks. It does get louder if you are sitting really close, in the first few rows. The other night I was at a concert of the New York Philharmonic and sat in the 6th row for a Mahler 7th symphony that used two sets of percussion, two bass drums, orchestral bells, gongs, etc., and I measured peaks of 106 dB SPL at the end of the symphony during the final crescendo. Your statement about the power increases in watts required to produce slight but noticeable increases in loudness in dB is correct. Each 3-dB increase requires twice as much power in watts, and if you went from 90 dB to 100 dB (a 10 dB increase in loudness is perceived by most as sounding "twice as loud"), you would need ten times as much power, or 10 watts.

So you are correct, but consider that most listening to music is between 75 and 85 dB SPL (C weighting), and most speakers except really insensitive ones will normally require from about 1 watt to perhaps 10 watts to recreate those levels---BUT, music is very dynamic, so some peaks may be 10 dB louder than 85 dB, in which case the amplifier would need to supply ten times as much power. If the speaker was using 10 watts to reproduce an 85-dB sound level (quite loud) and a 95-dB peak came along, then 100 watts would be required to handle the peaks. These figures are "rough" guidelines, as the distance you are from the speaker will affect the loudness and power requirements as well as the "liveness" of the room, the size of a room, and so on. But it is a logarithmic relationship, so it applies to all speakers. Also, those measurements for speaker output are done in an anechoic chamber which has no reflections from any wall surfaces, and they are for one speaker only. If you use two speakers in stereo, then that adds 3 dB to the sound output level, and walls in real rooms help, so the power requirements will be reduced. However, most of us sit at least two or three meters away from the speakers, so then the power requirements will rise significantly. I tend to advise customers to buy as much power as they can afford so you never have to worry about overtaxing your amplifiers and reaching "clipping" which is gross distortion that can damage speakers. Moreover, even before an amplifier reaches gross distortion from hard clipping, distortion levels rise quite dramatically as the amp nears the clipping point. This can add a hard, edgy strident quality to the sound before gross distortion becomes audible.

Hope that answers your questions.

Kind regards,
Alan