Is there any advantage to using a floorstanding center channel speaker(M60) over a smaller traditional center channel speaker (vp150). I have read articles that talk about using 2 of the vp150's for increased volume, but would it not be easier to use 3 identical floorstanding speakers to have a seamless transition. Also, I have read that the center and surround channels in dolby digital are mixed to send sound below 100hz to the .1 channel. Is this why larger more bass capable center channels are not used (because it would be pointless regardless of large/small or crossover settings for the center channel)? Finally could you turn a floorstanding speaker sideways, or would the off-axis response be horrible?

Thank you,

Christopher

------------------------------------

Hello Christopher,

I'll address your questions in somewhat random order:

"Also, I have read that the center and surround channels in dolby digital are mixed to send sound below 100hz to the .1 channel. Is this why larger more bass capable center channels are not used (because it would be pointless regardless of large/small or crossover settings for the center channel)? Finally could you turn a floorstanding speaker sideways, or would the off-axis response be horrible?"

Yes, you've figured this out for yourself, as to why larger, more bass-capable centers are rarely used. For most installations, they're impractical and since bass frequencies below 90 Hz are non-directional, it's easy to send the deep bass to one or more large subwoofers that are much better equipped to handle those frequencies than all floorstanding speakers.

Theoretically, it's ideal to use three identical speakers across the front, as they would be perfectly timbre-matched (tonally identical). However, the realities of room effects and reflections will make even identical left, center and right speakers sound slightly different, sometimes quite different!

The dual VP150 approach is one that Axiom developed (Ian Colquhoun and myself) not for increased volume (although that's an added benefit) but to address the problem of large front projection screens, where mounting a single VP150 above or below the screen sometimes causes the dialog to be localized off-screen, at the center channel speaker, which is not desirable.

By running two centers in parallel (or in series), one mounted above and one below the screen, the two centers phantom-image the dialog in the center of the big screen, and it works perfectly.

Some might advocate perforated screens to get around this problem, but they have their own liabilities (degraded video image plus spurious reflections behind the screen that may degrade center-channel sound quality) and I don't recommend them.

I would not recommend trying a floorstanding speaker in a horizontal orientation. The dispersion and off-axis problems that may ensue would, I suspect, result in tonal colorations that would make things worse.

Don't get carried away with Rives and the notion that all rooms need highly specialized (and costly) "treatment." If your room has a normal mix of absorbant and reflective surfaces, with standard furnishings--rug or carpet on the floor, upholstered furniture, drywall walls (not painted concrete block walls or cement floors!), some furniture to naturally break up reflections, then with linear speakers like Axioms, you should not have to apply room treatments at all. The latter are encouraged by the firms that sell these services. I've heard rooms "treated" by Rives and they tend to be dead-sounding and overly absorbant.

I'd also suggest that for uniform distribution of deep bass to all seating locations, you consider two subwoofers, placed at the sides or end walls opposite each other. Two subs will go a long way to getting rid of standing waves that often cause highly variable bass in different seating locations, the latter resulting from one sub operation.

Kind regards,

Alan