I have an open great room that is approx 20 x 30 feet, which also opens into the dining room and breakfast area. Which home theater system would you suggest on a budget of $1500?

-- Curtis

-----

Dear Curtis,
Thanks for your e-mail! Your room is enormous--a volume of 16,000 cu. ft, which is almost eight times the size of an average living room (2,200 cu. ft). Consequently, your budget is way too small to accommodate an impressive 5.1-channel home theater system for such a big room. You'd need a pair of our tower speakers (the M80s or M60s) and a large subwoofer like the EP500 in order to fill the huge space with clean, transparent sound and deep bass. The Epic60/500 system at $3009 delivered would be the minimum that I'd recommend.

Actually, I'd prefer you consider the larger Epic80 v 500

However, you could upgrade gradually, beginning with a pair of our tower speakers--the M60s or the M80s, both of which are within your budget. Both have good bass output on their own. As time and money permits, you could add the center channel, the surrounds, and the subwoofer. We recommend Sherwood Newcastle and Denon AV receivers. Look at larger models with lots of power.

-- A.L.