Rate Thread
My early impressions
#6045 10/01/02 04:54 AM
U
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
U
My new system arrived last week and consists of the M40ti, VP100, QS4, and HSU VTF-2 sub. I have only set up two channel stereo so far, I have someone coming to install the wiring for the surrounds on Wed. (My wife's only issue was NO wires running all over the living room!).

Everything is running thru a new Marantz SR5200 receiver. My comments are basic, I do not know all the proper terms, anyway..

Out of the box these speakers sounded great to me, but they are getting unbelievably better everyday. Today was my first "Holy S!@t" moment with the speakers. I was blown away with the soundstage (if that is the correct term). I was sitting right in between the two speakers on my couch, about 9/10 feet from the speakers themselves, and the whole room just opened up and filled with sound, I swore there was music coming from my center, and it is not even hooked up! It was truly unbelievable, something I never experienced with my old JBL speakers, I must have found the sweet spot. I cannot wait to get the sub running and see how that compliments the M40ti's.

These speakers matched with my new Marantz SR5200 are blowing me away as I write this. I was hoping for alot when I bought these, it took a few days, but I could not be happier right now! It was a bit scary buying without hearing, and I was VERY close to ordering the B&W 602.5 speakers, but I am glad I took the chance - better sound (IMO) at a cheaper price, you cannot beat that - Thanks Axiom!

I'll post more of my thoughts once the HT system is up and running.

Re: My early impressions
#6046 10/01/02 08:14 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi undecided (not quite so anymore, huh?)..

Well, I'm also a bit undecided - I was originally waffling between the M3ti and the M22ti due to space concerns, and also the fact that I personally don't like my speaker to stand out in the room... especially when it looks like I will moving into a much smaller space soon...

anyway, my girlfriend (of all people) said she wanted bigger speakers - so now it's between the M22 and the M40... since you just got a pair of M40's - could you elaborate a bit more on them? I'm only interested in 2 channel stereo - so what you've got set up right now is perfect (for me).

How is the bass response? How is midrange clarity (my main prerequisite) ?

I'm looking to get a pair, and probably won't add a sub or anything else - so the M40 seem like a good choice - I just want to hear a little more from someone else who is new to axiom!

thanks...

#6047 10/01/02 03:52 PM
old hand
old hand
I would go with the M40s... You don't need stands or anything with them and they sound great. I was amazed at the amount (and quality) of bass coming from them.

The M40s were the first Axiom speaker I heard just over a week ago, and after hearing them I ordered my M60s...

I think you will be very happy with them.

#6048 10/01/02 07:34 PM
U
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
U
nowave -

I am loving the M40ti's more everyday. I was choosing between the same set of speakers and e-mailed Alan Lofft at Axiom, here is an excerpt from his reply

"The tonal signatures of the M22ti and the M40 are rather different (check the Axiom message boards for extensive owner comments on each). The M40 is more like the M3ti, rather "laid-back", not the same degree of detail as the M22ti's, and kinder to aggressive treble-heavy pop/rock CDs than the M22tis. The latter will be very unflattering to overly sibilant recordings. But with well-recorded jazz, classical, choral, opera, and pop, as well as movie soundtracks, the M22s deliver great clarity, a wonderful 3-D-like soundstage, and very precise imaging. I use them with a subwoofer in my home-theater system, and with multichannel music DVDs and DVD-Audio discs, and they're very fine."

Also, a great review of the M40ti is here

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_millenniam40ti.htm

Hopefully that helps.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082