Page 1 of 2 1 2
Commercial audio / video system design
#125654 01/26/06 06:39 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Is it time for a challenging distraction in the water cooler yet? I’ve got one for y’all.

This is all in the preliminary design stages yet, and I may not even pull it off. But if I do, my target date for breaking ground is the second quarter, 2007. Doors open for business first quarter 08.

My not so silent, silent partner, live in girlfriend and I are going to build a small four star restaurant / bar / hotel. I’m trying to secure the ONLY chunk of land that I’ll build the facility on in this community. If I can’t get it, we’ll build it somewhere down in wine country. That being said, any help with this you want to volunteer, may be for naught. I’ve drafted the facility on D size paper and started layering it out on CAD, but Turbo cad pro vrs 11 and I have had a serious disagreement. TC is taking a timeout for bad behavior. When we make up and I transfer the design over, I’ll post pictures, but that may be a few months…..

I’m now putting the final touches to the business plan, which entails squeezing facility construction, budget line items. One I could use some help with is electronics (comm/audio/video/security/data interface & network). I’ve penciled in 250K for this line item.

The general layout (for you visionaries), is a modified V. Local code dictates a building height restriction of 35 feet to the peak of the roof, so the building will be two story. The entrance and lobby is at the apex of the V. To the right (as you enter the lobby) is the hotel (40 rooms). The left is the bar and restaurant (roughly 40 X 80). The bar is on the first floor and the restaurant is on the second floor above the bar. The building is a combination of timber frame construction with foam panels for the lobby/bar/restaurant and the hotel is stand alone foam panel construction.

The bar is going to be unique. It is a multilevel, combination English pub and sports bar layout with a band / dance floor area and a big assed U shaped open bar that can serve all three areas. I’m going to segregate the areas by building them in a split level arrangement so they will still be open to each other, but deferent floor heights of three feet with a common ceiling height to each level. Total floor area is about 3200 square feet including the bar/serving area. Floor areas for the bar are hard to describe as they intermingle.

The sports bar area will be about 24 X 48. Half of this area will have pool tables, dart boards and seating. The other half will have tables and a couple 60” wall mounted flat screen TV’s for folks to watch games (with surround sound).

The pub area is for folks to get away from the noise of pool games and the band for semi-casual conversations. It will be roughly 40 X 32. Seating will be high backed booth style with a few gas fire places set into partition walls. I got this idea while frequenting some of the pubs in England last year.

The band/dance area will have a raised stage for the band and DJ / karaoke above the dance floor and seating with 42” high patrician walls to provide some segregation between seating. It is roughly 24 X 32. There will be a few flat screens in this area too.

I was planning to simply run conduit to several areas throughout the sports and pub areas for pulling speaker wire and hang some book shelf speakers. But when the Axiom W series came out, I instantly liked the idea of using them and hiding some EP600’s instead. For the dance area, I’m contemplating suspending four or six M80’s and again hiding a couple EP600’s out of harms way. How I’m going to do that……well, I’m not real sure yet.

The restaurant level will have the kitchen in the center, and tables around the perimeter overlooking the sound and boat harbor with a rap around deck for summer seating. I was going to run ceiling speakers, but again, like the W series / hidden sub woofer idea.

Some of the rooms will be suites with jetted tubs. For these rooms, I also want audio with user interface tied into the main system so guests can pick some tunes while lounging in the tubs.

I’m not real sure how I’m going to tie all this together with electronics. Haven’t had the time to do any real research yet for what is available. What I envision, is to have a main hub situated in a room where security, comm., video (for the TV’s) and audio can interface with remote control pads in selected areas of the facility. I haven’t’ decided if I’m going to have card swipes for debt / CC’s in the bar area or not. I may need some means to pay for all this. Hotel guests could swipe their room cards and pay nothing. Other’s would have to pay just like using a jukebox.

For security, I’m not going to mess with this too much. I figured I’d just give the plans to a consultant. I can save enough on insurance with a BAT security system to have a pro do the design. Bars nowadays need lots and lots of cameras for when hooligans get out of control and need some ‘assistance’ leaving the building. I don’t want bouncers packing video cameras when they need to handle a situation.

Have fun with this one!! Any input at this point in the game would be valuable to me.

Re: Commercial audio / video system design
#125655 01/29/06 03:57 PM
shareholder in the making
Online Happy
Wow, I've always dreamed about going into business for myself, but the wife keeps reminding me about my great benefits I have with my current company. I just want to be my own boss.

Anyway, I wish you well on your new venture...

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#125656 01/29/06 04:41 PM
In reply to:

For the dance area, I’m contemplating suspending four or six M80’s and again hiding a couple EP600’s out of harms way. How I’m going to do that……well, I’m not real sure yet.

Somehow I've missed this thread till this morning.

I can't be of much help with any of this, excepting the fact that I personally wouldn't recommend M80s/EP600s for a dance floor. As good as the Axioms are, they're not designed for uses such as this.

Peronally, I would be looking at Mackie 450s combined with a Mackie Sub. ....especially if you're planning on flying them.

Bren would be the real expert on this stuff, though.... if he's still around!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 01/29/06 04:43 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#125657 01/31/06 05:52 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well, like I said, this may not even happen. I’m negotiating with the city. They have a pristine view lot that’s actually a small hill that’s on the water. They want to level it and turn it into a parking lot for a cost to of a mere 4 mil. It will not generate income (no tax base). Our second choice is the developing wine country in Wash/Oregon.

So anyway, I don’t spend much time in dance clubs, or bars for that matter. Too smoky, too many idiots and the drinks are too expensive. The pool tables usually suck too. But the few that I’ve been in, all have down right crappy sound systems. Loud as hell, but horrible sound. That’s why I thought a few M80’s might just be the ticket, if I can hang (fly) them.

Even if I can’t use them in this environment, I’d still like to hide the subs. Can this be done? I’m thinking about building false cabinets with acoustical cloth fronts that have hard wood lattice to protect the cloth. Will subs function properly if they are ‘tucked away’ in cabinets?

I’ve also been searching for commercial electronics, but just can’t find what I’m looking for. Any specific manufactures that I should be looking at? I need a controller for multiple zones (up to 20). I also need it to talk to a server or PC that will have a couple hundred gigs of music files on it. And then of course I’ll need numerous amps. I’m looking at Crown right now. They seam to get pretty good reviews.

#125658 01/31/06 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The bar/restaurant next door to the factory hung 6 M80s for sound, which worked out pretty well.

#125659 01/31/06 11:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This might be an expensive option, but small, cheap PC's loaded with linux could control each zone with a dedicated amp, and be networked to the main PC for music playing.

Tell me exactly how you want the zones to work. That will help figuring out exactly what you need.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#125660 02/01/06 01:41 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Thanks Amie. That’s just what I wanted to hear. ? – can the speakers be ordered with threaded inserts for this application? I’m thinking that standard inserts would pull out of the MDF and this might be better done while the speakers are being assembled with a backing plate.

Dan….

I’m still pondering all this trying to figure it all out, so bare with me. First off, I would like a main hub/data possessor to simplify networking and media storage. IE: only do it on one machine. I would like the ability to stream satellite radio to all zones, plus media storage on the main server/hard drive.

For the hotel suites (four), I want user interface in each room via touch screen so that guest can pick satellite stations to their liking.

For the main bar area, I’d like to stream this to central touch screen that the bar tender can operate, plus a second control for the DJ. (one zone for the pub area, and one for the bar/dance area).

For the sports area, I’d like another zone for digital media stored on the server/hard drive with a card reader. To function as a digital juke box that patrons can queue up songs. I want to charge for this area.

The wall mounted screens will receive direct satellite signal.

Does any of this sound possible?

#125661 02/01/06 04:15 AM
I don't know a lot, but I do know enough to tell you that it is possible, but it would be a big bucks custom job. You need some software written, as I'm pretty sure there aren't any turnkey solutions that'll do what you want out of the box in the integrated way that you want things.

#125662 02/01/06 11:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't know if you remember this option? We hung pairs of M80s for our dock party two years ago:

#125663 02/02/06 12:41 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wow, Amie! That's the ticket! The mighty M160 with custom cabinet.

Mike, I'm enjoying hearing your story. Wish I could help. If you decide to come to WA/OR, look me up. Not that I'll be any more helpful, but I'd enjoy seeing you. You have a fascinating and compelling vision.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020