Chainsaw recommendation
#255777 04/07/09 12:42 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

That says it all. This would be for trimming, cutting wood for my smoker and after storm clean up. Budget is around $200.

A 14 or 16 inch should be adequate.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Re: Chainsaw recommendation
Wid #255783 04/07/09 01:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wid Bunyan ... has a nice ring to it. \:\)

Rick
Our Room

smile
Wid #255791 04/07/09 01:44 AM
F
old hand
old hand
F
Get a Binford 2000 with turbo upgrade.

framer2180 #255796 04/07/09 02:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you can't find a Binford....Stihl and Husqvarna would be two quality chainsaws to look at but you'd be looking at entry level at that price range.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #255811 04/07/09 03:31 AM
shareholder in the making
I've had a Sears Craftsmen for 14 yrs, still works great.

Last edited by sirquack; 04/07/09 03:31 AM.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #255823 04/07/09 05:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Get what ever he's using.

You don't even need to use earplugs with that model.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #255829 04/07/09 07:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
A Hooters-branded Stihl, I guess. Tough to find at your local dealer ;\)

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Wid #255836 04/07/09 10:37 AM
Yet, so worth it.

Rick, there'd be no reason to expect a "clear difference"(or any audible performance difference at all) between receivers chainsaws (regardless of price differences)when their amplifiers engines are operating within their designed limits. This of course doesn't apply when processing circuits mufflers which are specifically intended to change the sound, e.g., tone controls and room equalization that cool revving thing, have been put into effect. So far as basic amplification sawing, competent and conscientious engineers apply basic audio wood removal design principles which have been well-known for years to achieve transparent amplification clean cuts, which results from audibly flat response from 20-20KHz together with inaudibly low noise and distortion a sharp blade. One of the great things about the modern audio lumberjack scene is that this has been accomplished with even receivers saws of quite modest cost and listeners users have no good reason to be concerned about their "sound quality" "brand name".

Of course, reports to the contrary abound, but these lack the reliability of a carefully controlled blind listening cutting test. In particular trying to "listen" to different receivers salesmen at a store is essentially meaningless even if the salesman hasn't taken steps to favor a particular unit. The volume between the different units will always vary at least slightly and the louder one will sound better, although it won't be apparent as a level difference, but will be described as "clarity", "soundstage" "revs really cool, like the dirt bike I always wanted", etc. This is why in blind listening tests a basic requirement is to adjust the overall levels to be identical within 0.1dB not cut off the arms of the guy next to you.

A good summary statement of this reality is found in the Audio Woodcutter's Critic article "Electronic Signal Paths Do Not Have a Personality!" Oh crap, now I've lost an arm.

DACs were Size was also brought up, and it should be kept in mind that DACs chainsaws are a mature technology, as Alan Paul Bunyan among others has pointed out several times. Excellent chips saw teeth which perform the conversion cutting without audible appendage-loss flaws are bought by manufacturers for as little as $1 each in very large quantities. The small measurable differences which still exist don't have audible wood sawing consequences.

With 100% respect,
M

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #255838 04/07/09 10:49 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Yet, so worth it.

Rick, there'd be no reason to expect a "clear difference"(or any audible performance difference at all) between receivers chainsaws (regardless of price differences)when their amplifiers engines are operating within their designed limits. This of course doesn't apply when processing circuits mufflers which are specifically intended to change the sound, e.g., tone controls and room equalization that cool revving thing, have been put into effect. So far as basic amplification sawing, competent and conscientious engineers apply basic audio wood removal design principles which have been well-known for years to achieve transparent amplification clean cuts, which results from audibly flat response from 20-20KHz together with inaudibly low noise and distortion a sharp blade. One of the great things about the modern audio lumberjack scene is that this has been accomplished with even receivers saws of quite modest cost and listeners users have no good reason to be concerned about their "sound quality" "brand name".

Of course, reports to the contrary abound, but these lack the reliability of a carefully controlled blind listening cutting test. In particular trying to "listen" to different receivers salesmen at a store is essentially meaningless even if the salesman hasn't taken steps to favor a particular unit. The volume between the different units will always vary at least slightly and the louder one will sound better, although it won't be apparent as a level difference, but will be described as "clarity", "soundstage" "revs really cool, like the dirt bike I always wanted", etc. This is why in blind listening tests a basic requirement is to adjust the overall levels to be identical within 0.1dB not cut off the arms of the guy next to you.

A good summary statement of this reality is found in the Audio Woodcutter's Critic article "Electronic Signal Paths Do Not Have a Personality!" Oh crap, now I've lost an arm.

DACs were Size was also brought up, and it should be kept in mind that DACs chainsaws are a mature technology, as Alan Paul Bunyan among others has pointed out several times. Excellent chips saw teeth which perform the conversion cutting without audible appendage-loss flaws are bought by manufacturers for as little as $1 each in very large quantities. The small measurable differences which still exist don't have audible wood sawing consequences.

With 100% respect,
M

Well now Mark, that clears thing up.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #255880 04/07/09 04:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I agree with Stihl and Husky (Husquavarna). A buddy's mom worked for Stihl when I was a teen so I used most of their line in the late 80s/early 90s. And every farmer I know uses a Husky that came over with Jacques Cartier.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup