Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The prodigal son returns...with questions!
#279201 11/16/09 05:47 PM
dmn23 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I used to be a semi-regular on this forum but my interests changed and I slowly drifted away from the Axiom boards. But I've got a relatively simple question and I figure you guys can probably point me in the right direction. I recognize some of the screen names here (nickbuol, kcarlile, MarkSJohnson, bigwill2, etc.) but there are lots of new faces as well. So hello to all, and let's see if y'all can help me out.

I have a Denon AVR-3803 and a cheap Phillips mp3 player. I've got a little Y-cable that runs out of the headphone jack into left and right RCA cables, but when I plug into one of the aux inputs on the Denon the signal from the mp3 player is ridiculously low, even with the mp3 player's volume turned all the way up. So at first glance it would seem that I need a preamp for my preamp. I've been completely out of the loop with respect to how technology has evolved in the 2 or 3 years since I last posted here, but I'm relatively certain I'm not the first person running into this issue. Surely there are products on the market that will do what I want (provide a nice, strong signal with minimal expense).

• Please don't tell me to get an iPod and a docking station. I want a solution that works with the gear I already have.
  • I only have one computer. No network, no Wi-Fi, no laptop, no nuthin'. I have a receiver and a cheap mp3 player.

Beyond that I'm open to suggestions.

Slightly off-topic, I had the Denon cranked this weekend and I still love my M22s. I keep saying that one of these days I'm going to break down and spring for a pair of M60s but the 22s just sound too good already. \:\)

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Re: The prodigal son returns...with questions!
dmn23 #279204 11/16/09 05:54 PM
shareholder in the making
It's a been a long time! I still enjoy the tracks I got from you during the CD exchange we did while you were still active. \:\)

I've been hooking my iPod up to my stereo the same way ever since the audio-out jack on my dock stopped working. With the iPod volume turned up all the way, I have to turn my receiver's volume up pretty far -- nowhere near maximum, but well above what I normally use for my CD player.

Are you having the turn up your Denon to near max? If not, I wouldn't worry about having to go higher than normal.

dmn23 #279206 11/16/09 05:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

First off how far do you have to go on the dial on the Denon to reach the output you want. What does the volume control on the receiver read.

Now turning up the the volume on the MP3 player is a great idea. I am not familar with Phillips MP3 players but have you checked in the settings of the player itself for any volume control adjustments that can change the volume gain from low, medium, high. If there is a setting like this change it to the highest setting.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
pmbuko #279207 11/16/09 06:02 PM
dmn23 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
-6db for music through the Denon is pretty loud in my room. That's using the CD player as the source. Right off the top of my head I don't remember where I had the volume set for the mp3 player but I think it was 0db and it still wasn't nearly as loud as the CD source. If a 10db difference equates to twice as loud then I'd have to push it significantly farther to match levels.

The 3803 has gobs of power but I just want to make sure I'm not over-extending it. And on a purely irrational level it just offends my sensibilities to turn it up that far with comparitively little resulting volume.

dmn23 #279212 11/16/09 06:16 PM
J
J
The problem is the output voltage from the MP3 player is very low so it is taking alot of gain from the 3803's amp to get it up to the levels you want. The only other way I can think of would be to try using a headphone amp inline with the MP3 and 3803 to boost the input voltage into the 3803; but I wouldn't worry about hurting the 3803 right now, if the music still sounds good with just the MP3 feeding it, just keep doing it, you won't hurt anything.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #279214 11/16/09 06:31 PM
dmn23 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The headphone distribution amp is an excellent suggestion. I live in Nashville so I'm sure I can find one on Craigslist pretty easily.

Thanks for the help!

dmn23 #279243 11/16/09 09:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Does the Phillips MP3 player have a "line-out" jack? Since you didn't mention it, I doubt it does. But if it has one, try that instead of the headphone jack. It should help.

If not, the headphone amp idea is valid. Several years ago, I had a problem with an XM Radio's line-out not being loud enough in a vehicle. I'd have to crank it up to hear it, and then I'd invariably forget to turn the volume back down before switching sources. I'd end up blowing out my eardrums with FM/AM/CD. So, I bought a Boostaroo at the local Radio Shack. It solved the problem quite nicely. It boosted the gain enough so that the XM's volume was very close to the "built-in" sources. I couldn't detect any impact to sound quality - but that was XM Radio. And since it's from Radio Shack, it's easy to return if it doesn't work out.

If I could remember where it was, I'd offer to just send it to you as I don't use it any more...

Good luck!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #279245 11/16/09 09:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Many new portable media devices detect the impedance of what they are connected to, and when a load in the kOhm range is fount they go into line level mode. So a dedicated line-out isn't so common any more. Whether the volume control still functions varies from device to device.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
dmn23 #279295 11/17/09 04:03 AM
Mike, welcome back. I'd agree that as long as you can get adequate sound level that you don't have to worry about "over-extending" the 3803 with a high setting on the volume control. The volume control is a variable resistor that changes the proportion of voltage from the MP3 that's let in to be amplified. At the maximum setting essentially all of the voltage is let through, and a setting nearly that high may be necessary with some players that have a relatively low output voltage. So, applying a high volume control setting doesn't strain the 3803 in any way, it simply lets in the needed amount of voltage for the required sound level.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020