M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Standing on my milk crate

[ Flame On ]

The people at NetFlix think we are all fools and are basically outright lying to us to sell us something that they simply don't have.

Case at point. I bought a new 4K TV from Panasonic that is certified by Netfilix to work at 4K. I had heard all about the Netflix original series called House Of Cards and thought it sounded like a great TV series to watch as it has been advertised as streaming in 4K. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I clicked on the Season 1 Episode 1 and the picture looked to be blury and out right junk. So I hit the (i) button on my new TV remote to be told that the stream is coming in at 480 resolution. After about 30 seconds it bumped up to 720 and eventually got to 1080 but never the elusive 2160 of 4K video.

Perhaps it was that I was watching at 8:30 at night and the internet was congested, so I wrote it off to back luck.

So today I went and watched Episode 2. Same thing, starts off at 480 and goes up to 1080 after a minute or two. This is the middle of the day, so I go over to my Mac and pull up the speedtest.net to see what my performance was. I am pulling down at 47.73 Mbps, and I am sure that is fine for 4K streaming. So I gave Netfilix a call and see what is going on.

I am given the standard from the script questions, and assure them I am not on Wireless internet, but have 1000baseT wired connection to an enterprise cisco switch that is conencted to my router out, and there is less than 15' of cable lenght, so there is no issue with my internal network connection. I am put on hold for 20 minutes to be told that the issue is my service provider.

I hung up feeling rather let down, but if the problem is on my end then it's my problem. NOT SO FAST. I thought just to make sure, I tried pulling up a different show. They had this one on Deserts, that who knows why someone would want to watch, but it was listed as 4K. That works fine. So does, the newer released Sense8 and Bloodline, but House of Cards that was originally advertised as 4K doesn't work.

Back on the phone to NetFlix, and ended up speaking to a different rep who tells me, OH, House of Cards isn't available in 4K and should not be displayed as such on their network. Well, that isn't totally true, the first season for sure is only in 1080, but season 3 is streamed in 4K.

WHY would the first person I talked to not tell me that if it's such common knowledge. Why did Netflix advertise that show as a 4K? Why did they issue all those press releases that say Watch House of Cards in 4K. do a Google search for it and there are countless sites quoting that. Surely everyone of these news organizations would not have made this up on their own.

So NetFlix is nothing more than a total LARK.

[ / Flame Off ]

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: Lark called NetFlix
MMM #414827 10/06/15 02:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I gotta ask. At 12 feet can you really see a difference. If you have rogers cable your in luck they are adding 4k sports soon.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #414830 10/06/15 09:11 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I found an article which suggests season 2 onward is 4k in house of cards. Try season 2. Netflix is sneaky like that. They also call an entire show a netflix original series if they release a new season on Netflix..... Like they did for "Trailer Park Boys" and "Arrested Development." Sneaky hobbits.. Err.. Netflixers.

Does it look like this when you preview it on netflix? Didnt know netflix 4k was available in Canada. How you liking the new Panasonic anyway?

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 10/06/15 09:18 AM.
AAAA #414831 10/06/15 11:37 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By Socketman
I gotta ask. At 12 feet can you really see a difference. If you have rogers cable your in luck they are adding 4k sports soon.

Richard

Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
I found an article which suggests season 2 onward is 4k in house of cards. Try season 2. Netflix is sneaky like that.

Does it look like this when you preview it on netflix? Didnt know netflix 4k was available in Canada. How you liking the new Panasonic anyway?

I was surprised as to how much content there is out in NetFlix land in 4K, even here officially in Canada. But who would want NetFlix and not have some DNS/VPN to get worldwide to take advantage of what they offer. Canada content rather sucks but we do get some things here that are not in other parts of the world.

Now as for picture quality. That is a hard one to really say as the TV takes the incoming signal and up-converts it to 4K. So your 1080p signal is converted up so you can't really say does it look worse than a true 4K stream. Can you see the detail at 12'? On some things I would clearly say yes. A better but still totally unfair question is how does this TV compare to my Samsung 46D6450 that I thought had an OK picture. Well the difference is night and day. The blacks are really black. You can see detail in shadows as and dark scenes where on the older Samsung it is just a murky black blob. The picture is far more defined and cleaner looking.

When watching TV, or more to point sports on TV, there are some channels that are worse to watch as they transmit in 720p vs 1080i. The 720 you can see the loss in detail right away. This might be a factor of being a 65" TV vs my older 46", but I think this is more a factor of the quality of the screen than just over size.

My shot at NetFlix with the House Of Cards is on several levels. First, that their support person didn't know their own content and blamed me for a fault that was actually their own. Second, that NetFlix is advertising and promoting content saying that it is one thing to their customers when in reality it falls far short of that mark. NetFlix sells themselves as being a customer friendly service, but spent quite a bit of time arguing that the problems were all mine. I even tried to point out stupid bits like they make it 2-3 levels deep to get even their phone number and when you call they ask for a service code that at the bottom of the show listing page that takes 4-5 screen refreshes to get. Why they are not together in one spot is beyond me as you need both to be able to contact them. The supervisor just didn't get the suggestion and decided to argue with me about how easy it is to contact them.. just shake my head in puzzlement.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #414833 10/06/15 12:57 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Always remember, contract call center supervisors are the ones who control the user interface.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MMM #414853 10/07/15 07:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For the price I think Netflix is one of life's best bargains.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044