Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
2016 Academy Awards
#417263 02/28/16 03:38 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have not seen many of the movies nominated and I have very little interest this year. I thought Chris Rock was funny twenty years ago. Not anymore.

Am I the only person that thought Mad Max was a let down? Why is it nominated? Tom Hardy just grunted through it. I always loved The Road Warrior and the Mad Max reboot should have been incredible.

I'll watch The Revenant someday. Maybe it's good. Dicaprio can be a good actor(great actor in Gilbert Grape) but he is mostly annoying.

Bridge of Spies was a pleasant surprise of a movie. It was good. Spielberg was actually telling a story again. It's good, but not Schindler's List.

The only performance I saw that I think truly deserves an award this year is Richard Kind for his portrayal of Bing Bong. But he can't get one.

Last edited by DarkPathSignal; 02/28/16 03:39 AM.

M3 and
M80
Re: 2016 Academy Awards
Lampshade #417270 02/28/16 03:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We watched The Revenant a couple of weeks ago. That 'they' are calling this an Oscar favourite tells me there must be a slew of mediocre films out this past year. Some good, if not excellent acting at times, but the story was long, not really believeable and somewhat boring with similar scenes seemingly played over and over again.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Lampshade #417277 02/28/16 07:47 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Hopefully this is the end of the ubiquitous 'award shows' for the season. There seems to be more & more of these needless spectacles every bloody year. Again, I won't be partaking.

The entertainment industry has to be the most narcissistic on the planet...

TAM

exlabdriver #417278 02/28/16 08:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I will be NOT be attending the Academy Awards (show on TV) this year (::imagine that I'm flailing my arms and hands, in a "Pinkett-Smith" sorta way, then bringing them back together, in a prayer position::) as there are no Italian/German/American/Senior/Gay people represented as nominees.

Let's look at some numbers. The black population of the US is 12%. Yes, that IS correct, 12%. So, Jada, if every 8th movie made were done entirely with people of color, and they were all really good, the odds would remain the same, 1 out of 8, on a completely level playing field.

It is also making the statement that people of color were excluded for that reason, which is nonsense, like that Scien... thing

If gay men demanded to be represented in 10% of everything (I have always though that # was a bit high, but...), professional sports would cease to exist, construction and maintenance would halt, manufacturing would all be foreign and everyone would be just a designer. Oh, don't worry, it ain't ever gonna happen, and we'll still help you to you look good and not have ugly crap in your house, on your shoulders, and, especially, on your arm. Just ask.

I really don't know the answer, but is any nominee Scien, Sciento, you know, thing? How come she ain't bitchin' about that? If she were here right now, I'd flip my hair at her, if I had any.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #417279 02/28/16 08:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh, I forgot. You DO know that I HAVE TO watch this, the whole fthing, or turn in my "card" immediately, like "at the FedEx office by 8 Monday morning" immediately, right?! I will watch and report back for all of you tomorrow. No, it cannot be DVR'd for any reason, except to re-watch it (OMFG)! It must be "witnessed" live, which means you have to live in EST. That alone has been, for over 45 years, the ONLY reason we haven't ALL moved to San Francisco. They have to wait 3 hours. (I know, right?)

In these days of social media, people in PST will have to wear tinfoil hats and lock themselves in bathrooms, because there will be a 3-hour stream of "Spoiler Alerts" in every media format! Ahh, To Live and Die in L.A

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #417281 02/28/16 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'll do the same thing I do every Oscar's season. Totally ignore the event.

Bob. Do let me know how they get around the 'one thank-you' thing will you?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Adrian #417283 02/28/16 10:16 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted By Adrian
We watched The Revenant a couple of weeks ago. That 'they' are calling this an Oscar favourite tells me there must be a slew of mediocre films out this past year. Some good, if not excellent acting at times, but the story was long, not really believeable and somewhat boring with similar scenes seemingly played over and over again.

First, the Oscar nominees never tell the full story of what's been put out. Yes, there are more mediocre films than good, but that's always been the case. Let's not pretend there's ever been a time where there wasn't more filler than not. And while the Oscars are supposed to represent the height of the craft, what year are you thinking of where you agreed with the majority of the choices?

I enjoyed The Revenant. Sure, the pacing isn't going to keep your blood pumping for the duration, and some of the moments that were supposed to get you there were trying too hard, but I still felt satisfied at the end. Honestly, one of the main reasons I wanted to see it is because of the way-cool shots in the trailer, and while I liked a lot of those, the most annoying parts for me were along the same lines, of trying to be too arty in the filmmaking. But hey, I'd rather a director with ambition than someone following what they think is a successful Hollywood formula.

And since someone else mentioned Mad Max: Fury Road, I'll say I enjoyed that one, too. Yes, it fell short of my wildest dreams, but I haven't tried to watch the old ones in forever, so who knows how they stand up. This new one strikes me as more of a popcorn affair. Some aspects of it were a little cardboard and lifeless for me, but then other parts of it surprised me with their goofy inventiveness. I'll probably expect more out of the sequel(s), however.

fredk #417301 02/29/16 03:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By fredk
I'll do the same thing I do every Oscar's season. Totally ignore the event.

Bob. Do let me know how they get around the 'one thank-you' thing will you?

It didn't quite end up like that, but every nominee was made to turn in a "thank you" list beforehand. If they won, those names scrolled across the bottom of the screen as they walked up to the stage. There were only a small few for whom the music had to drown them out as they were finishing.

Counting the red carpet crap, it went from 7-midnight!

Chris Rock did a great job of not ignoring the 800 pound gorilla, over and over. Others joined in the lampooning.

Yes, you are all correct. None of you missed anything. I merely fulfilled a sub-cultural obligation.

(He DID mention, rather early on, that Jada Pinkett-Smith wasn't invited to the Oscars in the first place.)

Lampshade #417314 03/01/16 02:38 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I have a rule of thumb to avoid any of that crap. Even more if it wins, then it's more of a guarantee it's ultra boring.
My wife's a diCRAPprio fan and thought the revenant sucked. Titanic is one of her faves along with Basketball diaries, To which I could have missed completely and been much happier, having never viewed.

Though there's lots of people that believe those kind of awards are to acting credentials as opposed to a popularity contest.

Lampshade #417318 03/01/16 11:39 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I am still waiting for the "Speakies" so that everyone inside the Audio Speaker design community can have a large galla televised to that the public knows what a great job they did designing speakers. I think that Axiom should sweep the "wow, they sounded so great" category. We will need to make sure there are enough of the 'black' oak speakers entered into the running to get the diversity card played. But I think that the Cocobolo should win the 'it looks so good in the room' category. But we all know how biased the judges are and will give the award to the white maple, and there will be riots in the streets.

I however will miss the award ceremony for the 'cleanies' as I think it's just too much for the Joe Janitor to get an award for cleaning toilets at the local TTC station as they do such a crap job at it anyways.

Last edited by oakvillematt; 03/01/16 11:40 AM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082