Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
So two Axiomites come together yet miss each other
#420443 09/24/16 09:10 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
This morning and afternoon my daughter's high school was hosting the first Marching Band competition of the season in our region. My wife and I were volunteering to help out at the competition, and during the frequent down-time I jumped on to Facebook.

It was then that I saw Randy (SirQuack) post a photo of his son's band on our field. I had no idea that he would be there.

So there we were, just on opposite sides of the same football field. I responded to his post, and even tried to send a messenger note, but nothing... I know some people here would try to avoid me, but usually we are friendlier than that here in Iowa. grin

So we were so close for a handshake and quick chat, but alas, it never happened.

It is early in the Marching Band Competition season in Iowa, so maybe later in the season.

Now off to go help fill sand bags (expecting major flooding in our area in the next 24-48 hours (flood stage is 12 feet, projection is almost 25.5 feet of water). We are safe where we live, but a lot of people aren't. This is coming 8 years after the worst flood in history (for our area) where water hit just over 32 feet. Some areas never recovered from that one.

Then another marching band competition later tonight. Busy day.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: So two Axiomites come together yet miss each other
nickbuol #420445 09/24/16 11:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So close and yet so far, not even social media could bridge your football field. Maybe next time wink Good on ya for helping with sandbags, that's a tough job glad to see someone helping their fellow man for now personal gain. I will be watching the weather and our thoughts are with you.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
nickbuol #420448 09/25/16 02:19 AM
shareholder in the making
Online Happy
shareholder in the making
Yeah Nick, it has been many years since we first met and you stopped over to my house. It completely slipped my mind when we were going to be in your neck of the woods that you might be there. Sorry I missed your message as I was driving back home and you know what they say about texting and driving, lol.

Can't believe Jacob is a senior this year and in his 4th year of playing the quads. Off to ISU next year and he is thinking about trying out there as well. Would be a busy time when combined with Engineering. smile Funny, Nathan our youngest son got picked for percussion this year also, oh boy...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

nickbuol #420449 09/25/16 03:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
HMM I thought it was Axiomoes.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
SirQuack #420450 09/25/16 04:40 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By SirQuack
Yeah Nick, it has been many years since we first met and you stopped over to my house. It completely slipped my mind when we were going to be in your neck of the woods that you might be there. Sorry I missed your message as I was driving back home and you know what they say about texting and driving, lol.

Can't believe Jacob is a senior this year and in his 4th year of playing the quads. Off to ISU next year and he is thinking about trying out there as well. Would be a busy time when combined with Engineering. smile Funny, Nathan our youngest son got picked for percussion this year also, oh boy...

I still remember the time, years ago, when you posted something here about getting a drum set....

My youngest is a senior this year (she plays clarinet), but I was a drummer back in the day. Started out on snare, but moved to be the school's first, and only ever, quad player. Small town, and I happened to hit right at a massive and unusual peak in the band size. Literally more than 1 in 4 students were in the band. Anyway, good times.

If I see Norwalk in any of the upcoming competitions that we go to, I will seek you out.

FYI that in tonight's competition that we did across town, we won all of the 4A awards and got 1st place with just over 16 more points than the 2nd place 4A school. Crazy. When we come to the Des Moines area the competition will be a lot harder though.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #420451 09/25/16 04:43 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By Socketman

Axiomoes, Axiomites, its all the same to me....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #420452 09/25/16 04:47 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So close and yet so far, not even social media could bridge your football field. Maybe next time wink Good on ya for helping with sandbags, that's a tough job glad to see someone helping their fellow man for now personal gain. I will be watching the weather and our thoughts are with you.

Wow, filling sandbags, moving them 20 feet to a staging area, and loading them into pickup trucks is a lot of work. We only had about 2.5 hours onsite today between events, but we got a lot of bags filled, moved, and loaded.

Tomorrow we are going to help a single mom and her family from our church clean out their basement. The water is scheduled to get above the flood stage tomorrow as well, so we will be cutting it close, but that is when they wanted the help.

The best part of all of this has been the people. Nobody complaining, everyone just chatting away to pass the time and keeping right at it. Then again, the volunteers are pretty much people, like ourselves, that are far enough away from the river to be impacted. If my house was being threatened by a coming flood, my spirits might not be so positive right now.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #420455 09/25/16 12:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
God Bless You for helping out, Nick. That is heavy work sandbagging.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Gr8_White_North #420470 09/25/16 10:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite

An Axiomite is an Axiomoe that hangs stuff from the ceiling?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
nickbuol #420471 09/25/16 10:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By nickbuol

The best part of all of this has been the people...

The worst of things brings out the best in people. Good luck. Here's hoping the forecast is wrong and there is no flooding.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters