Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Red, White and Black, have I gone insane?
#357757 10/31/11 04:33 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Last week I was driving along Upper James, a street on Hamilton “mountain” known for endless road construction, far too many curb side advertising signs and a large collection of car dealers who have fled the downtown core.

I was passing by Bay King Chrysler when I noted a red Corvette convertible parked on the side. I pulled in and had a quick look at the car. Within seconds a rarity appeared, a salesman who had a pleasant demeanour and actually seemed to know something about the product he was selling.

It was a 2007, low mileage, black top, black interior, turns out it was a US model. He thought the car had been brought into Canada by a Chevy dealer (name not revealed to protect the incompetent) . Now this Chevy dealer was only about a kilometre away so I got the VIN number and headed off the see if they could give me any background information on the car.

I pulled into the Chevy dealers used car lot and went into their office in search of information. Upon hearing my story they all bleated “why are you going to a Chrysler dealer for a Corvette?"

I quickly pointed out it was because:
A) They had one for sale
B) When I was at their lot three months ago, they had nothing in the way of used Corvettes, a quick look around revealed they still didn’t

Suddenly there was a flash of white light and out of the glare appeared their oldest, most trusted Grand Imperial Salesmeister.

“Hello” his voice boomed, I am here to tell you that on this coming Saturday, we will be getting a 2004 Corvette as a trade in on a Cadillac. It’s only been driven 3,000 km per year, it’s white on red with a black top, it has always been maintained at a dealership, it has never been in an accident, or snow, and rarely rain, and it is owned by a doctor.

At this point he levitated back into office, the other sales people stopped curtseying, and one of them got my name, numerous phone numbers and internet email address with the promise to call me on Saturday as I had made it very plain I would like to see the car and meet the owner.

Well as you can imagine Saturday came and went with no contact from them at all. It was our Thanksgiving weekend so I waited until Tuesday to call them.

“Oh yes, the Corvette” the junior sales flunky replied, he didn’t come in on Saturday, he’s coming in on Wednesday or perhaps Thursday. With these encouraging words ringing in my ear I decided to complete the perfect day by taking partially full paint cans (which the previous home owner had left for us, even though the contents had nothing in common with the paint that was actually on our walls) to the dump in Dundas (by coincidence the same town that the white Corvette owner lived in).

On the way back I had to go to the bank and on the way passed by Village Auto in Ancaster.

Now I’ve known the owner for a few years, he always has interesting cars on his lot, and I can’t go by without turning my head and having a quick look.

What did I see? Well a white C5 Corvette with black top. “Hmmm” says I, I’ll check this out when I come back.

On the way back I pulled into the lot and went over to read the sign, One owner, 24,000km 2004,. “Hmmm” I said to myself, that’s about 3,000km per year, the colours are correct, could it be the same car?

Went inside to talk to them and to make a really long story not much shorter , I have to tell you that it was the same car. Turns out the doctor bought a Lincoln instead and didn’t tell the Chevy dealer. Village Auto guys know the Ford dealer and when he called them up and described the car they said they would take it. They had only had it on their lot for 2 hours when I showed up. In another attempt to end my ramblings I will say within 30 minutes I bought it, I love it, I love the V8 sound (it was what my neighbourhood needed). Sadly it’s a summer car and is presently asleep in the garage until I wake it (her?) up next spring.

Oh yes photos…….

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane?
FordPrefect #357761 10/31/11 06:02 PM
shareholder in the making
Congratulations, Wayne. Totally, totally awesome.

And MAN....am I envious!

Enjoy it, my friend!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
FordPrefect #357762 10/31/11 06:02 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
i'd like to be insane like you!

FordPrefect #357763 10/31/11 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well lucky you. Enjoy, sir smile!

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
FordPrefect #357766 10/31/11 06:25 PM
It appears to me that you have acquired an automobile that goes vroom-zoom. I believe congratulations are in order.

pmbuko #357767 10/31/11 06:30 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Nice!

michael_d #357769 10/31/11 06:37 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the comments, I currently am dreaming of spring and listening to the contractors ripping out the old ceramic tiles and making the house look like one big construction zone.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
MarkSJohnson #357770 10/31/11 06:38 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Congratulations, Wayne. Totally, totally awesome.

And MAN....am I envious!

Enjoy it, my friend!

Mark is an under-rated word-meister.

I'm very happy for you, Wayne!

And - although I certainly recognize that your weather is quite a bit more extreme than mine - I must put in a plug for "Drive it when you want to!"

I know, it's all new and shiny and hardly been used and all that. But what's the point in having the thing unless you enjoy it? Now, maybe it's just as satisfying for you to just "have it" in the garage, but I should think that driving it would be somewhat more visceral.

I have a friend with a similar Vette, and his firm "use it!" position on the matter has heavily influenced my own driving habits. It's not an "investment", it's not an "appliance", it's a Fun Machine.

Wow. Great Car!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #357772 10/31/11 06:55 PM
Wayne, TOTALLY tongue in cheek: "What? They didn't have yellow?"

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #357777 10/31/11 07:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Great car; great story!

Thanks for sharing!

Between you, Tom, MichaelD, et al, I've got some catching up to do. You inspire me.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020