Pretty Sad the state of movies
#418871 04/29/16 01:37 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have netflix and really don't go out to the theater any more. The price of a ticket is one part but mostly its because the movies they are releasing are simply crap.

I sat down to watch the reboot of Mad Max and although the breeding stock in the movie was interesting for a bit, the movie got re-booted off the screen after about an hour as i just couldn't get drawn into the film.

The reboot of StarTrek was ok but I doubt i would ever pay money to go see it. StarWars was a general pass for me.. Well Ridley Riley was a bit of eye candy but again, doubt i will pay full price. Catch it as the cheep theater on the $5 tuesdays.

I am hoping that Deadpool is going to be worth it. But what has there been on the silver screen that has been worth going to see??

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: Pretty Sad the state of movies
MMM #418872 04/29/16 01:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am with you matt. I am continually underwhelmed by the latest crop of movies. Perhaps I am getting old and jaded. Thankfully my memory is not that great so I enjoy the old movies smile I did enjoy the latest star wars though I doubt I would watch it again. Whatever you do don't watch Krampus ugh

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #418878 04/29/16 05:01 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I still enjoy enough movies that I don't consider them a dead art form. There are a variety of factors that add to the potential for disappointment for me, though. A couple of the more prominent ones:

1) I've watched a ton at this point, and naturally it's going to be harder to captivate me. The price of more sophisticated taste

2) TV has really come into its own. Feature films used to be a distinct cut above in production value and execution, but that's not the case anymore. Sure, the biggest blockbusters are still going to have the top tier effects, but the gap isn't nearly as pronounced as before. And beyond effects, TV has more time to develop the characters and the stories, and it's hard for movies to compete with that.

I'm not a fan of blanket statements bemoaning the state of this or that. It's just a rule that most offerings of anything are going to be crap. It's always been about finding the exceptions. But I can totally relate to not wanting to invest the time and energy into finding the gems. It would be easier if Hollywood, etc. would just knock it out of the park every time. We don't live in that world.

MMM #418879 04/29/16 01:00 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The animation movies have come a long way. I remember back in 94 when Pixar announced it was doing a 100% computer animated feature film. Everyone in the film industry said it would fail as there was no way they could pull it off. I knew Pixar as I had been working with their Renderman application and knew the software could pull it off.

The movie was a smash. They pulled off the same wonder for Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Cars, Incredibles, Wall-E, Up. Inside Out. But I guess for all the successes there have been some major duds too.

What I find disappointing is that many of the movies fall well short in the engaging story line and just rely on special effects to try and fill the gap.

I personally wish that Hollywood release only 1/3 the number of films but actually spent the time and effort to make those they do have something worth watching.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #418880 04/29/16 02:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By oakvillematt

What I find disappointing is that many of the movies fall well short in the engaging story line and just rely on special effects to try and fill the gap.

Ding! Ding! Ding!!! couldn't agree with you more, Matt.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
MMM #418881 04/29/16 03:22 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
The animation movies have come a long way. I remember back in 94 when Pixar announced it was doing a 100% computer animated feature film. Everyone in the film industry said it would fail as there was no way they could pull it off. I knew Pixar as I had been working with their Renderman application and knew the software could pull it off.

The movie was a smash. They pulled off the same wonder for Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Cars, Incredibles, Wall-E, Up. Inside Out. But I guess for all the successes there have been some major duds too.

I personally wish that Hollywood release only 1/3 the number of films but actually spent the time and effort to make those they do have something worth watching.

I would expect with the ongoing consolidation of the companies in the industry, you have essentially the bean counters pretty much running the operations now and they stay with the tried and true and with the countless sequels, milk them for all their worth. In the last few days, just further consolidation with Geffen selling out his Dreamworks studio to Comcast for a cool 3.8 billion.

There have always been independent production companies around, however, they need financing and the screens to show their films which, for the most part, the main studios control.

I can recall an interview back a couple of years ago with James Cameron, (whom has a made a successful blockbuster or two) who said that whenever he came up with an idea to pitch to the studio and the "suits", it was like he was a first time director/writer whom had never made a movie before, reputations mean little or nothing anymore in Hollywood. It took him several years from the idea/writing stage to actual production and ultimate release of "Avatar".

Adrian #418886 04/30/16 10:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Adrian

Ding! Ding! Ding!!! couldn't agree with you more, Matt.

YAHTSEE!!!!! Old movie buff here. Double meaning there. I'm an old buff of old movies. I am getting very tired of CGI driven movies. Though they may not be the best movies ever, I can find pleasure in ones that, at least, have a story to tell and are well acted (Bridge of Spies, Trumbo, etc.)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
MMM #418900 05/02/16 12:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Deadpool is supposed to be a good adult humor movie my wife enjoyed it thoroughly, Though I agree there hasn't been a new release I've wanted to see in a long time.

How many times can they release the same old crap, and remake everything before a new idea comes back to surface? or at least steal an idea from over seas.

They still have far more original plots than our Hollywoods can come up with.

MMM #418901 05/02/16 12:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bridge of Spies: solid movie. Spielberg is great when he tells a story.

M3 and
M80
brendo #418992 05/08/16 04:55 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
So I just recently noticed on IMDB a remake of The Magnificent Seven will be released this Summer. Really? Did you have to? The original film is already a remake of a foreign film. This re-re-made film I won't bother with.
My .02
/Jeff

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020