Standing on my milk crate

[ Flame On ]

The people at NetFlix think we are all fools and are basically outright lying to us to sell us something that they simply don't have.

Case at point. I bought a new 4K TV from Panasonic that is certified by Netfilix to work at 4K. I had heard all about the Netflix original series called House Of Cards and thought it sounded like a great TV series to watch as it has been advertised as streaming in 4K. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I clicked on the Season 1 Episode 1 and the picture looked to be blury and out right junk. So I hit the (i) button on my new TV remote to be told that the stream is coming in at 480 resolution. After about 30 seconds it bumped up to 720 and eventually got to 1080 but never the elusive 2160 of 4K video.

Perhaps it was that I was watching at 8:30 at night and the internet was congested, so I wrote it off to back luck.

So today I went and watched Episode 2. Same thing, starts off at 480 and goes up to 1080 after a minute or two. This is the middle of the day, so I go over to my Mac and pull up the speedtest.net to see what my performance was. I am pulling down at 47.73 Mbps, and I am sure that is fine for 4K streaming. So I gave Netfilix a call and see what is going on.

I am given the standard from the script questions, and assure them I am not on Wireless internet, but have 1000baseT wired connection to an enterprise cisco switch that is conencted to my router out, and there is less than 15' of cable lenght, so there is no issue with my internal network connection. I am put on hold for 20 minutes to be told that the issue is my service provider.

I hung up feeling rather let down, but if the problem is on my end then it's my problem. NOT SO FAST. I thought just to make sure, I tried pulling up a different show. They had this one on Deserts, that who knows why someone would want to watch, but it was listed as 4K. That works fine. So does, the newer released Sense8 and Bloodline, but House of Cards that was originally advertised as 4K doesn't work.

Back on the phone to NetFlix, and ended up speaking to a different rep who tells me, OH, House of Cards isn't available in 4K and should not be displayed as such on their network. Well, that isn't totally true, the first season for sure is only in 1080, but season 3 is streamed in 4K.

WHY would the first person I talked to not tell me that if it's such common knowledge. Why did Netflix advertise that show as a 4K? Why did they issue all those press releases that say Watch House of Cards in 4K. do a Google search for it and there are countless sites quoting that. Surely everyone of these news organizations would not have made this up on their own.

So NetFlix is nothing more than a total LARK.

[ / Flame Off ]

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5