For Ian -- Speaker combinations
#245 08/14/01 10:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was looking for speakers to complete my HT, and I came across the Axiom line of speakers which are very well reviewed. I'm very much interested in getting the whole set (LR, Ctr, Sub and Rears) and was hoping you could answer some of my questions.

Currently, I have in mind two different combinations: M3ti/VP100/ EP175/QS4; and M40ti/VP100/EP175/QS4.

1. Do I need the subwoofer if I get the M40ti as my front speakers? Would the sub negate the bass output of the M40's?

2. You had recommended the EP125 for the M3's in another post. Would the EP175 work as well?

3. My room size is about 20 ft x 25 ft. Which combination would you recommend? I've priced both out to fit my budget. I'm considering the M40's as I would not need stands; however, I read in SS's review that the M3's sound a little clearer than the M40's. Would a M3/EP175 combo be better than the M40/175?

4. How would the M3's perform as rears compared to the QS4?

I appreciate any help that you can give me, as I live in the US and I don't have any way to audition your speakers. I would be basing my purchase on reviews. Thank you.

Re: For Ian -- Speaker combinations
#246 08/16/01 09:39 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Thanks for your inquiry about our products. Starting with the sub-woofer, I would definitely go with the EP 175 given the size of your room. For home theatre you should have a separate sub woofer since it is a designated channel and not rely on the front channel to do this job. Between the M3s and the M40s, the M40s will give you a better range especially to two channel listening in a room your size. If you are always going to run the sub-woofer then M3s would work just as well. So for maximum flexibility I would recommend the M40s but the same performance could be achieved with the M3s and the sub running all the time. The EP175 will not negate any bass from either the M3s or the M40s. If it did then you should reposition the sub in your room. The QS4s are specially designed for rear channel use. The M3s can be used as rear channels and they will work very well there but the QS4s would be the proper and best way to get the most from your system, especially for movies.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
More questions
#247 08/16/01 05:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Ian for your reply. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that this system would be used primarily for home theater, as I have my music/two-channel system in another room. I guess from your reply that the M3's would suit my needs the best, as I intend to run the sub at all times.

Another question regarding the rear speakers: I am planning to get the Outlaw 1050 6.1 channel receiver (65 watts/ch x 6) as my HT amplifier to go with the Axioms. As such, I may add another Axiom speaker for the rear center surround. Would the QS4s work well with another center surround in the middle, or would three direct-radiating speakers like the M3s be more suitable for this setup?

Lastly, the Outlaw has a designated output for LFE signals. I intend to use this output specifically for the sub and run the other speakers from the other designated outputs in the receiver. If I do this, do I need to deactivate the crossover in the sub and receiver, as presumably the LFE output on the receiver will only have bass frequencies?

Thanks again for your advice!

Re: More questions
#248 08/17/01 09:35 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Yes in your case the M3s would work just as well. You are down to just the look you want in your decision. For your third effects channel I would suggest another QS4 as a good option also. We will sell any of our products individually for exactly half of the pair price so you can choose which ever you like. If you turn the sub-woofer x-over setting to its highest level then it will not have an effect on the low frequency only information it is receiving from your amp.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
Re: For Ian -- Speaker combinations
#249 10/07/01 12:37 AM
regular
regular
Greetings Simon,

I too am putting together a system consisting of the Epic Master package and an Outlaw 1050 receiver. I feel for the money, both Axiom and Outlaw give the best bang for the buck. Just remember, Ian gives all his customers a 30day trial period. Suggestion...order the M3ti to start with break them in and see if they are what you are looking for. If not, then you can sent them back and order a different set. No frills and worries. Let me know how the set-up works for you. My system will not be complete for at least another 3 months as I am on a tight budget and will be piecing my HT together over the next few months. Good luck and looking forward to your review!

"You learn more from making mistakes than trying to avoid making them."

"You learn more from making mistakes than trying to avoid making them."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020