Print Thread
Rate Thread
New to HT and shopping around
#113786 10/23/05 07:03 PM
asb3pe Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Appreciate any and all feedback. This HT stuff is worse than shopping for a car!!

First of all... the room. Apartment on second floor with a friendly neighbor below... but still have to be aware of over-doing it on the volume. Room is roughly rectangular but with angled walls and one side totally open. Angled, vaulted ceiling. Couch centered on long wall, no room behind (so 5.1 only). Dimensions: 12'x18', ceiling 8' high at closed end of room, 11' high at open end. Room opens into dining room, and also a 4'x3' opening into kitchen above TV.

Only equipment purchased so far is my tv, a Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK plasma monitor - commercial product, no tuner or speakers. Nice and compact. Will locate below opening in wall to kitchen, on a table w/stand, leaving me 19" below... so center speaker will be essentially on the floor. Still looking for a table or low platform to make this work. Receiver is probably going to be the new Denon line, either 3806 (available now) or 4306 (Crutchfield shows 11-11 as ship date). I like the HDMI switching capabilities, power seems more than adequate for my apt (120w/c for 38, 130w/c for the 43). Probably a 50/50 mix of movies to music. I prefer country, and Joe Satriani-esqe style of distorted metal guitar played as loud as the neighbors can stomach. :-)

If I go with Axiom, my plan is to go with M60ti's, VP150 and QS8's, and buy someone else's sub. Vann's (and Amazon too I see) has the Mirage Omni S10 on sale for $250 which is tempting, otherwise was going to get the SVS-PB10 which lists for $429. I need to stay small with the sub, obviously, so want to stay compact and not sink $$$ into it - but want quality.

Am also looking at Onix Rockets, the original RS750's have been reduced from $1400 to $900, same as the M60ti's. Being discontinued, great deal to me. Their RSC100 center speaker is a mere $200 right now too, another great deal. Surrounds are the sticking point, at $600 per pair - total cost then is $1700, which is the EXACT same cost as my Axiom order would be with the 5% HT discount applied. :-)

If I missed anything important, please ask. Budget is important but I am single (yippee haha) and thus not capped. If I feel it is worth it, I will spend... but given my situation, and the fact that I don't plan on moving anytime in the next two years at least, I don't think I have to spend $15 grand to get something I'm happy with. Right now I'm at approx $2500 for the tv, $2000 for the receiver (4306), and $1700 for the speakers plus $400 for the sub... $6600 total, plus a Harmony remote and cables/wires... let's say I'm at the $7000 range which is kinda steep but still ok for me given how much television and music I watch/listen to.

So... how in heck's name do I decide? I can't listen to both of them, and I DO NOT want to order each, set them all up, and then have to send one back. Obviously the responses here will be mostly pro-Axiom, but I'd still like the feedback. Thanks!

P.S. I still am looking at other speaker brands too, but price-wise it seems the Axiom/Onix business model works to my advantage nicely. I cannot stand stupid salesmen in retail establishments, and helping to pay for their salaries. :-)

Re: New to HT and shopping around
#113787 10/23/05 07:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What kind of speakers are you currently running? Might help us give you some suggestions. I think you are looking at two of the more user friendly companies out there and there is lots of good info to be had on both boards.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#113788 10/23/05 07:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
By the way, Al, welcome!

You are right, buying speakers and home theater equipment can be a lengthy and time consuming edeavor.

#113789 10/23/05 07:44 PM
asb3pe Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for the replies and for the welcome. I have NO equipment currently - I listen to my music via the CD player in my computer and the little itty bitty desktop speakers. LOL Divorce might have wiped me out, but that's not a bad thing - my previous stereo equipment was old junk. She can have it! This is a new beginning, and I want to do it right. I'm a perfectionist by nature, which only makes this task that much more difficult - making decisions is not my strong point. The television will be here this week and I haven't come close to placing an order for the rest of it - gonna be hard seeing that thing sitting idle while I decide on the rest! But I won't rush it and end up regretting what I bought.

#113790 10/23/05 08:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Check and see if there are anyone nearby in Arizona who could give you a demo (both Axiom and Rocket). Each company has a distinct sound.

Better yet, just head out to a local hifi shop, bring some cds you are very familiar with and try all sorts of different speakers. Will kinda give you a better idea of what kind of sound you like. If you can swing it, try going early on a weekday, less people to deal with. Don't let yourself be swayed by salespeople, trust your ears.

#113791 10/24/05 01:43 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#113792 10/24/05 05:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
you should be happy w/ the plasma. I have the 6UY edtv version and love it. I also have a Harmony which is great.

- Good idea w/ the DVI switching. I have an HD Tivo (recommended or similar like the Comcast DVR) and Mac Mini but only one DVI input on my plasma. Who knows, you may opt for a DVI based DVD player too.

- 19" is tight. How come? I mounted my plasma at eye level, lowered it from a higher position w/ a stand. That made a huge difference in viewing, more immersive.

- For that tight a mounting restriction, you might consider using a Ikea lack shelf and put wheels and doors on it. That makes it VERY low. I've seen it done on AVS forums.

Ikea Lack

#113793 10/24/05 09:51 PM
veteran
veteran
In reply to:

But I won't rush it and end up regretting what I bought.

I don't think you will regret either of the choices you are considering. I haven't heard the Rockets but some members around here have. The Axioms you are considering sound awesome (IMHO) and they really have some of the best bang for your buck.

I know you mentioned you don't want to return anything but why not try out the M60's alone to determine if you like the Axiom sound? As other members have mentioned are there any Axiom owners where you live? Coming from an old stereo system (as I did) you will REALLU love the Axioms. Plenty of us took the risk of buying without ever hearing them and have absolutely no regrets.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044