Rate Thread
Denon 3805 Driving me nuts (a bit long)
#117610 11/28/05 06:11 PM
Xiola Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hello From Portland Oregon!
Any other fellow Oregonians on the board?

I have been lurking on these boards off and on since December 2002. I have enjoyed many a thread on a variety of issues from the sidelines. I am hoping to be a little more active on the board in the future. I am getting M22s for christmas and then Qs4s for my B-day in April so I will be looking forward to hearing the axiom sound. I am currently running Paradigm Fronts and Surrounds, a PDR10 Sub and no center. What has prompted me to post is my new Surround Receiver. I just hooked up a Denon 3805. All my equipment is packed into an Armoire that does not allow me to get to the cable connections. Of course when I hooked all the components up for a test run before putting all the components into the Armoire everything was working fine. Now I am having a variety of problems. Before I take everything out of the Armoire (which is quite difficult) I wanted to see if anyone thinks I have set up issues.

Denon 3805- I have all cables running to the 3805's inputs and an S-video out and a component out from the receiver to the tv.

DVD Player- with component connection and optical cable

X-box- with component connection

Direct TV box with S-video and optical cable

CD-payer with analog connection.

Sony 34" HDTV-

My problems.

1.I am getting no video out of the DVD player but I am getting sound.

2. I am getting video from my xbox but no sound

I am getting the picture and sound from my Direct Tv box and sound from the CD player. So I am thinking my problems stem from the Component connections. All the connnections are tight. I was able to check that the component out from the 3805 is in the correct spot and the cable is going to the correct input on my TV.

Before I put all the electronics into the Armoire I had set all the inputs from the OSD and everything was functioning properly. I did not change how the cables were hooked up or any of the settings before I put everything in the armoire although I did have to unplug everything.

If anyone has any advice besides hitting everything with a hammer It would be greatly appreciated. I have read through the manual a few times and although it is a bit confusing I think I am setting all the inputs correctly.

Thanks Joe

Keep life simple ride a fixie
Re: Denon 3805 Driving me nuts (a bit long)
#117611 11/28/05 06:35 PM
local
local
I recently got the 3805 and a a similar problem. double check your input assignmants that was the cure for me. I ended up connecting my cablebox directly to the tv so I can watch tv without the speakers cranking up. Another thing I did that really made things easy for me was I knocked out the back panel of the entertainment center for easy access. it is still there hanging on by 2 screws.

M60's VP150 QS8's EP500 Denon3805
#117612 11/28/05 07:28 PM
Xiola Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks SirClyde. I will check the input assignemets again. I did check multiple times but it cannot hurt to check again. It is a custom cabinet with a solid Oak Back panel. I cut a 2 inch circular hole in the back but hate to cut it up too much. I will let you know if I have any luck messing around with the inputs.

Thanks.

#117613 11/28/05 07:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hey Joe, I'm from PDX as well. You didn't mention what type of audio connection you have to your XBOX. As mentioned above go through all of your input assigns. You might need to make sure nothing was yanked out when pushing the 3805 into the armoire.
It's usually something easy, happened to me as well with my 2805.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#117614 11/28/05 10:31 PM
Xiola Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi Lightnin Joe

Right after Sirclyde's reply I went back and rechecked the setting and knew that I had the settings right. I pulled the 3805 out as much as I could and to my suprise the Component connections for the DVD player had pulled out. I now have video. I did have to reassign the sound for my x-box to the appropriate input. I know have all systems go. I would love to check out your system sometimes Send me a PM if you are into that. Thanks..Joe

#117615 11/29/05 02:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Xiola, when I had an entertainment unit to fit all my gear into it was a major pain to get to the wires. With everything hooked up I had little room to pull out the components to check the wiring. I went searching in my garage and found one of those little dental mirrors (small handle with an angled circular mirror) that I used with a flashlight to make connections. I usually had the manual open turned to the page with the drawn schematic. Not a perfect solution, but it worked.

Finally ended up redecorating and got rid of the entertainment unit and bought an AV rack (open on all sides) and it is soooo much easier to work with.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#117616 12/01/05 08:24 PM
Xiola Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
StPatguy. Thanks for the reply to my post. The dental mirror suggestion is an excellent idea. I have been looking at the schematic and feeling around back there. It has worked so far. The Armoire is a function of the WAF and 2 little girls. My wife insists that the TV and all the electronics must be able to be hidden from view. A friend and I built the Armoire from Solid White Oak and I now call it a part of my family. It must weigh close to 250lbs itself and encloses a 34" wide screen sony crt tv and all the electronics. In total it must weigh close to 600lbs. It does look nice though. One day I will have a dedicated HT room where all my toys can be displayed with pride.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters