Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
And so it begins
#145010 08/08/06 03:59 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For those of you not keeping track of me like I am-you know who you are-I'm moving from my entire adult life of aparment/condo living to a home without walls shared with picky neighbors and floors that double as someone else's ceiling. The move happens in a couple of weeks and I'm really excited.

I started out sure that I was going to go to magnolia hi-fi and buy a couple definitive tech speakers and a center for the front and use my current fronts as surround and rear channel. I talked to the sales guy and he was helpful I guess. He suggested I bring in a CD and spend some time listening. Good advice.

The next day I brought in a CD with some tracks I know. Charlie Daniels, Blue Man Group, Rhapsody, Rush, Propeller Heads-you get the idea, a mix of stuff. I have very broad tastes. I listened to the definitive tech speakers they had and I wasn't impressed. The didn't sound any better than my current set hooked up to my entry level sony deck. I left the store.

Across the street is a boutique shop. I wasn't sure if they had anything in my price range, but I figured I'd at least listen to some really high end speakers to see if I just didn't get it. Armed with the same CD I entered the store. The salesman at least knew how to give a product presentation, going over the features, educating me on brands that you folks talk about that I'd never heard of before like Paradigm and B&W.

Both the 400$/pair Paradigm and B&W bookshelf speakers sounded amazing! Finally I was hearing what I expected out of high end speakers. The guy put on the Monitor 7 floor standing speakers and I REALLY liked them.

The next day I went in and was ready to buy the whole shebang-but I really can't buy any speakers until I move-or I'll just move them twice. Rotel 1067, Monitor 9's, and whatever the rest of the paradigm set was for a 5.1 setup. I asked him about multiroom and he told me you could only do it with a separate amp. Mistake #1-he could have moved me away from the rotel. Then he tried to get me to buy some fancy speaker wire. Compared the wire to tires on a car and oil in a car. He loved his analogies. He played the game of showing me something really expensive (40k cables!?>!?!!?) then showing me something also overpriced but much cheaper to avoid sticker shock. I told him that I'd live without $200 speaker cables-but even their 12g was 1.50 a foot. Oh well, I knew what I wanted all I need was a date to go back in and buy it.

So to the internet I went reading everything I could about paradigm speakers when I stumbled across Axiom. The idea was compelling-mail order speakers, sound unheard, but with a money back guaruntee. I started reading reviews and they were being compared to the paradigm studio series speakers-which I also heard, and liked, but not an extra grand a pair liked. The Axioms were about the same price as the monitors and the whole system was a bit cheaper for the Epic 80/500. I looked at the other internet brands and ascend and aperion also look like good buys and would probably satisfy me-but I like the look of the axioms and the content on the webpage is very helpful. I still haven't read it all but I'm becoming much more knowledgable about this whole audiophile thing .

Well I still can't order the speakers for another couple of weeks-two days before I close on the house so they arrive about the day I get in :P. I did, however, find a HK 635 (HK was recommended by forums and the axiom customer service) on Ebay for 500 bucks. Just got it today and it makes a big difference by itself in my condo. Of course this could all be in my head, but I somehow doubt it. I'm writing this listening to Rush in surround sound and everything is well balanced. The highs are more pronounced-although the bass does seem a bit flat these are small speakers and I'll have a subwoofer soon enough.

Here's the future home of the M80s:

In the next year or two I'm going to replace the slider with a wall and wall in the back of the room.

Re: And so it begins
DrunkenWolf #145011 08/08/06 06:14 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Very good, DW; I'm sure that you'll enjoy your new home and new speakers. That bare room is just longing for those M80s!

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

DrunkenWolf #145012 08/08/06 01:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Congrats on the new place. How big is the room? Looks nice and cozy.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
DrunkenWolf #145013 08/08/06 02:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I asked him about multiroom and he told me you could only do it with a separate amp. Mistake #1-

Actually DW, this depends on the point of view.
If you use the Rotel 1067 for a 7.1 system then yes, you would need a second amp for another room. If the salesman knew you were only considering a 5.1 setup, then indeed the remaining two channels can power the multiroom config.

Quote:

their 12g was 1.50 a foot

You know this isn't that bad. Granted you can find cheaper prices, but many of the boutique stores i've seen tend to start around $2-4 /ft for wire and rarely sell anything 'generic'. Even the Axiom wire goes for over $1/ft Cdn. I've found local pricing on 12ga wire for as low as 20 cents a foot, but the sheath was a cheaper plastic, not nicely flexible or finished so i went up to 50 cents a foot to get what i preferred for aesthetics.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
DrunkenWolf #145014 08/08/06 04:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm excited for you! Once you get you're setup completed, I honestly think you're gonna be blasting those speakers like it's nobody's business...just because you CAN!!! Congrats on the new home!

That room looks like it's got great potential. I really think you'll like the M80's. I happen to work next door to a high end audio shop and have gotten a chance to listen to B&W's a couple times myself. I can't say that I didn't like the B&W's, but I thought there was something lacking. I'm really confident that you'll enjoy your M80's. I'm completely happy with my decision of getting my M60's and don't regret it one bit (except now I want the M80's!).

Enjoy!
Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
sonicfox #145015 08/08/06 05:35 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Good on you, DW! We need more Axiomites in the Evergreen State.

80's are going to totally rock that room. Whoo Hoo!

Like Tom Petty said, The Waiting is the Hardest Part.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
DrunkenWolf #145016 08/08/06 07:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Congrats on your new home! M80/VP150/QS8 system would be awesome in that room of yours. I can relate to what you're going through right now. I was pretty much in the same shoes a few months ago.I was moving from an apartment to my own house and had been looking for new HT system a few months before my moving date. I was considering either Aperion or Axiom. I don't there's anything wrong with Aperion but I'm glad I chose Axiom instead.

chesseroo #145017 08/08/06 09:27 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Actually DW, this depends on the point of view.
If you use the Rotel 1067 for a 7.1 system then yes, you would need a second amp for another room. If the salesman knew you were only considering a 5.1 setup, then indeed the remaining two channels can power the multiroom config.

Right, but he could have steered me away from the Rotel and he could have advised me that multiroom is difficult to maintain.

DrunkenWolf #145018 08/10/06 07:39 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Curses. My HK is already dead. I guess it's going to be re-refurbished. I'm going to let them send me another (I think) and if the next one fails I'm back to trying to decide. Has anyone used the outlaw 1070 to drive the m80s? That company is spunky-I wouldn't mind supporting them if their gear can do the job.

DrunkenWolf #145019 08/10/06 09:23 AM
E
buff
buff
E
Quote:

Curses. My HK is already dead. I guess it's going to be re-refurbished. I'm going to let them send me another (I think) and if the next one fails I'm back to trying to decide. Has anyone used the outlaw 1070 to drive the m80s? That company is spunky-I wouldn't mind supporting them if their gear can do the job.

I have an Outlaw 1070 that I use for my computer setup. It's driving two M-3s and two M-2s (and a sub). It sounds great, but I think you would want more power. I have a Yamaha RX-v2400 driving my HT and it has quite a bit more power. At first I thought I might replace the Yamaha if I liked the Outlaw better, but there isn't anything that the Outlaw does better except do bass management on the analog channels (which is great for the analog outputs on my computer or SACDs etc).

The Outlaw cost me more than I paid for the Yamaha a few years ago, but the Yamaha is easier to use and has noteably more power. There are little things about the Outlaw that are sorta quirky and slightly more difficult to do certain things- like switch inputs without the remote, and little things like that.

I'm pleased with the Outlaw though, it's a nice unit- but for the money I think you could get more power and features from another manufacturer- especially if your goal is to drive power hungry speakers. It should be noted though, that Outlaw doesn't overrate their amplifier's power like many other manufacturers do. I tested various speakers between my HT and computer system with a digital meter from radioshack, and was pleased that the Yamaha put out quite a bit more power (which they should since they were rated much higher).

I strongly recommend any of the recent RX series receivers from Yamaha since I have experience with them. They have all the features you could want, have big beefy parts in them, are reliable, and easy to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters