Purchasing and setting up HT
#161562 03/14/07 12:42 PM
E
eric916 Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
E
Hi I recently started upgrading my HT setup with axiom products. I own an Onkyo 803 7.1 reciever, a pair of axiom m22's for the fronts and a svs subwoofer.

First off, I was deciding between the different center and surrounds. If I can afford the 150 should I purchase it over the 100? I figure these speakers are all matched? Or would the 150 be overkill on the m22s?

With the surrounds, I`m probaly going to pick up 3 of them. I'd like to go with qs4's for the price is this a big downgrade compared to the qs8's.

Finally I`m wondering what the best spots for the fronts and surrounds to be placed? I'll add I will probaly pick up the stands made for the m22's.
The center is going to be under the tv on an a/v rack, roughly sitting hieght. The fronts will be on the stands, how far apart should they be from the TV? I`m guessing they should be the same distance from listening posistion af the center channel, but should be toed in slightly?
Finally what do you do with the surrounds? I was thinking of hanging them from the walls, back left, back center and back right. should they be up high aimed down towards the listening posistion?

Sorry righting this after work in the morning on a pot of coffee Minds a little scattered.
Forgot room size....
Right now its a split room, half kitchen/ half living room. The living room area is 16'(length) x 12' (width). The setup is against one of the shorter walls and the couch/chair is is in the middle ofthe room 8' away.

This is an apartment and I plan on moving in a few months so generic info would also be appreciated.

Allright well thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

Re: Purchasing and setting up HT
eric916 #161563 03/14/07 01:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'll toss in a quick answer to keep the thread moving. Choice between VP100 and VP150 is primarily a function of room size and/or distance from TV/speakers to seating area. The VP150 has more drivers over a wider area and so (a) can put out more sound while remaining clean, (b) seems to have a slightly wider dispersion pattern for wide rooms.

For your room size VP100 is all you need. If you expect to move into a much bigger room in the near future then a VP150 is well worth considering.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
eric916 #161564 03/14/07 02:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
to answer most of your positioning questions, this diagram should give you all the answers you're looking for.

Also, concerning mounting your Qs4's (or 8s), they are specifically designed to be flush mounted on a wall, they even come with a bracket that is used to mount them on a wall.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
eric916 #161565 03/14/07 03:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi eric916,

Just to add to the helpful answers already posted, the QS4s should be fine for your room size. The QS8s have slightly larger woofers and thus play louder and cleaner in big rooms. Tonally, the two are virtually identical.

The general advice I give on surround height for QS4s and QS8s is at least a couple of feet above ear level when you are seated. The QS8s and QS4s are so forgiving because of their multi-directional radiation pattern that you can mount them considerably higher if you like--anywhere from 2 feet to 8 feet above ear level and the surround envelopment does not change appreciably--but keep them away from the ceiling by at least 6 inches so you'll get some ceiling bounce from the top-firing woofer/midrange driver.
If your room is asymmetrical and does not allow for mounting the QS surrounds at equal heights, it doesn't matter. One of mine is 2 feet higher than the other and the surround envelopment is excellent.

You normally do not have to aim the QS models toward the listening area unless your room has a very high vaulted ceiling and you put the surrounds up much higher than usual.

Here's a link to my article in the Axiom archives with diagrams showing setups for 5.1 and 7.1 systems.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/home_theater_layout.html

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617