It's getting closer
#234182 12/11/08 01:04 AM
Warrant Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player Update

Dear Warrant,

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player. We appreciate your interest, and would like to update you on the current development status of this exciting new product.

One of the major design goals for the BDP-83 is to deliver first-class video quality for both Blu-ray and DVD. We based and expanded upon our top-of-the-line DV-983H up-converting DVD player and fully utilize the unparalleled performance of the VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution. You can expect all the high-end video features including Source Direct for DVD and Blu-ray, high definition HDMI scaling, Edge and Detail Enhancement options, and 1080p24Hz output for both Blu-ray and DVD.

We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature.

With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. As of this writing, the BDP-83 supports BD Profile 1.1 (BONUSVIEW), DVD-Video, SACD, and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Progress is being made on a daily basis as our engineers work diligently around the clock to further enable DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio onboard decoding, and BD Profile 2.0.

The BDP-83 is currently undergoing an extensive and thorough Beta Test Program. We greatly appreciate all the feedback from our beta testers, as without their hard work and extraordinary attention to detail, the BDP-83 would not be the high quality product that our customers have come to expect from us.

As many of our customers eagerly anticipate the release of the BDP83, we are contemplating a "BDP-83 Early Adoption Program" in late December or early January. This program will make available a limited number of units so you can purchase and experience the current implementation of the BDP-83's feature set, with the ability to download firmware as new features become available. The estimated price for the BDP-83 is around $499 to $599.
OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions and values their feedback. If it were not for our customers' feedback and support, OPPO would not be where we are today. At OPPO we strive to provide our customers with quality products reinforced by exceptional customer service.

Please email to BDP-83 @ oppodigital . com if you have any questions and comments, or simply reply to this email.

Re: It's getting closer
Warrant #234183 12/11/08 01:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds great! Thanks for the update.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #234200 12/11/08 05:16 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Wow, still a little too pricey for me, but a fully featured BR player for that price right now is very good.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #234228 12/11/08 01:53 PM
I like the idea of supporting a company like Oppo, and in theory I would love a single-player solution.

After having re-done my whole rack yesterday, I have 5 disc players in there (Luckily, they look harmonious with each other!!). While any of them will, for instance, play a Redbook CD, and almost all of them will play a standard DVD, they each have an attribute that others don't have:

- The Panasonic 35 Blu-Ray player is the only one to play Blu-Ray.

- The Toshiba HD-DVD player is the only one to play (you guessed it!!) HD-DVDs.

- My Oppo is the only one to play SACD and DVD-A discs.

- There's a CD recorder for when I transfer LPs or want the audio from an on-air concert.

- I just added a DVD recorder that I wasn't using anymore in my video editing so I could offload TiVO stuff that I want to archive.

Now, if anyone would make a player that would do all these things, I'm THERE...well, not really. I couldn't afford it!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #234235 12/11/08 02:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I hear you Mark, I just have mine scattered all over the house because if I placed them all in the equipment rack there wouldn't be any room left for anything else.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #234236 12/11/08 02:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, I thought originally the price was going to be around $800 bucks... for everything that little do-dad does, $499 - $599 sounds like an increadible deal. Ok so it doesn't carry the Denon or Yamaha name, I'm still VERY interested in a player that does all that!

If it comes out with 7.1 channel RCA outputs.... I'M THERE!!!!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #234248 12/11/08 03:12 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
I have a large collection of dvd's from different regions other than region 1. Some of them are also pal discs (ie 25 fps rather than 24 fps). I would like to be able to purchase and play blu-ray's from other regions as well, but players that can do this are quite expensive at this point. Many times you can get dvd's and blu-ray's from other countries that aren't available in region 1, or are available a couple of years later. The cheapest player that I have seen that can do this for dvd's and blu-ray's is a modified Panasonic DMP-BD35 for $650.

Does anyone know if this Oppo Blu-ray player is supposed to be a region free player for dvd and or blu-ray's? Will it play pal discs? The other Oppo dvd players have done this in the past. If the Oppo can do this on top of its upconverting, which sounds like it will surpass even the Oppo 983, then this player is truly a bargain. I guess even if it doesn't do it would be a bargain, but the region free and pal conversion would be icing on the cake.

- Nick

Micah #234249 12/11/08 03:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice Box.
I have everything I need right now but I'm impressed with all that they have thrown into a single package. It's they way it 'should' be.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #234256 12/11/08 03:44 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I have no doubt Oppo will come out with an innovative and first-class product, regardless of the final price. Perhaps someone could clarify , though, the issue of profile 1.1 and 2.0 implementation. I have e-mailed them about whether the first units will be profile 1.1 with a follow-up firmware update and the time line for it OR are the first units going to be 2.0 with ALL the "bells and whistles"? I would rather wait for the completed implementation of ALL the updated features. To me, anyway, the press release wasn't quite clear about this.

casey01 #234262 12/11/08 04:18 PM
local
local
I was under the impression that blu ray movies didn't have region encoding. I have a copy of Beowulf from the UK that plays just great on any player I've tried here.

Steve
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020