Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Does anyone know if there are new version?
#286621 01/13/10 03:21 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
I was just wandering if anyone knows if they are coming out with new versions of their speakers. It seems the the M80 V2 have been out for a while. Just wandering.

Thanks for the info

Re: Does anyone know if there are new version?
Smitty4ut #286623 01/13/10 04:22 PM
shareholder in the making
Hey Smitty, there hasn't been any talk of it on the boards. The changes from V1 to V2 were gradual and relatively subtle; I would seriously doubt that there would be any big "product version change" based upon past changes!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #286625 01/13/10 04:33 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Thanks, I just didn't want to think about upgrading, and then they come out with a new version. Also do you think that the M80v2's would be an improvement over the Paradigm Studio 60's that I have now. Mine are several years old, I believe that they are version 2's, and Paradigm is up to version 4 or something.

Smitty4ut #286631 01/13/10 04:58 PM
Axiom in general doesn't follow the industry trend of releasing a new version for the sake of releasing a new version. However, they do make improvements to the designs very frequently without publishing it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Smitty4ut #286636 01/13/10 05:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Smitty4ut
I was just wandering if anyone knows if they are coming out with new versions of their speakers. It seems the the M80 V2 have been out for a while. Just wandering.

Thanks for the info

This question has been asked before. What I understand is that the V1 to V2 along the entire axiom speaker lines are minor changes such as how the grill is attached to the speaker, different 5 way binding posts, and other minor cosmetic changes that don't effect sound quality. The versions that seem to have had measured sound quality changes are the Axiom M80 which had the crossover tweaked and was changed after some double blind listening tests, the EP350 v2 to v3. The M2 I think had changes to a 1" tweeter that would give it better on and off axis performance. The same 1" tweeter that is used on the majority of Axioms speakers was also added to the QS4 as well.

At this point in the product lines I don't think there would be any substantial changes made to the sound quality. Maybe they will have a whole new speaker design in the future?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Smitty4ut #286637 01/13/10 05:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Smitty,

As Kcarlile has pointed out, we do introduce gradual on-going improvements that are not necessarily reflected in a change in the model number or version.

Yes, I do think you'd hear an improvement moving from your Paradigm Studio 60s to a pair of Axiom M80 v2's. However, I have not done direct double-blind comparisons of an Axiom M80 v2 to a Paradigm Studio 60. I recently auditioned an expensive Paradigm Signature (?) pair of floorstanders in a Home Theater demo at the CES show in Las Vegas. They were excellent, but no better in my judgement than the current M80 v2s. (I rely on 30 years of experience doing double-blind comparisons to make these judgments.)

I suspect that if you put the Axiom M80 v2 into a double-blind comparison with the Paradigm Signature editions (if I have the name correct), they'd end up being scored "similarly good", to use a phrase coined and used by my long-time mentor, Dr. Floyd Toole. It simply means that while not sounding identical, two different pairs of speakers are so close in sound quality that you cannot consistently rank one above the other and whatever slight preferences you may have typically shift with a change in the music from one type to another.

So far, Ian has not introduced a prototype speaker that has been able to consistently win over the existing M80 v2 design in the double-blind listening tests--and I've done those comparisons as well as other Axiom staffers.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Smitty4ut #286638 01/13/10 05:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Smitty4ut
Also do you think that the M80v2's would be an improvement over the Paradigm Studio 60's that I have now.

Hi Smitty, While not completely matching your question, I have done same room comparisons of the Studio 100s and my M60s. All involved found them to be pretty much indistinguishable to our untrained ears. It wasn't a proper double blind test or anything but since improper tests normally result in you hearing skewed differences that may not truly be there, it is interesting that both parties found no difference or hardly identifiable differences.

You have already read about the slight differences between the M60s and M80s and I have no idea how different the Studio 60s are from the 100s but I shared my slightly related experience in case it helps a bit.

Paradigm Studio 100s were my first choice until I learned about Axioms. My buddy went with the 100s at the time and it's safe to say we are both equally happy with our speakers. He is jealous that I got the same sound for a lot less money but is still very happy with his choice as the fancy look of the 100s suited his decor better.

Last edited by Murph; 01/13/10 05:43 PM. Reason: clarity

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
alan #286657 01/13/10 06:49 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: alan

.....they'd end up being scored "similarly good", to use a phrase coined and used by my long-time mentor, Dr. Floyd Toole. It simply means that while not sounding identical, two different pairs of speakers are so close in sound quality that you cannot consistently rank one above the other and whatever slight preferences you may have typically shift with a change in the music from one type to another.

That about sums up all the chatter on any audio forum dealing with quality speakers and it always comes down to personal preference of those minor differences of said similarly good speakers \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #286662 01/13/10 07:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The Studio 100s and the M80s are "similarly good". The price of the M80s makes them similarly better(imo). Both are wonderfull speakers though.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #286692 01/13/10 09:41 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Thanks, I appreciate the honest answers. I know that it varies from person to person. I also believe that most people on forums like these are here because they are impressed with what they bought, and with the company they bought them from. I own a pair of QS8's, and I could not be happier with them. I would recommend them to most anyone.

Thanks again for your responses. \:\)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020