QS-4's on Stand or Wall
#363025 01/07/12 06:04 PM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
I am moving soon and am planning ahead for my home theater ( living room ) setup. I already have my Axiom speakers but am mostly concerned with my the surround speakers in a 5.1 setup. The room is approximately 15 feet deep, so head to TV is about 13 feet. The LR speakers are M22Ti's on FMS-16's. The center is a VP-100 on a FMB above the TV, but I may move it to below the TV. The surrounds are QS-4's. The couch will be flat against the wall. In my current apartment I have them mounted to the wall with the bottom at 66 inches and the same width as the fronts. But sometimes I feel I lose the surrounds. I'm thinking of going with a pair of FMS QS's and placing them to the side of the couch.

The stands are 38" high. Does that seem like a good height match for the fronts and my ears? If I went with stands would I point them towards my ears or just the closest tweeter on a QS-4? So they would be angled in. One bonus with the stands is that I can move the speakers around a bit and not have the contractor run wires in the wall.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long question.

Re: QS-4's on Stand or Wall
Bassman #363073 01/08/12 06:40 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The usual suggestion when the couch is up against the back wall is to mount the side surrounds on the back wall about 2-3' above ear level and spread widely almost to the side walls(they're still side surrounds even if mounted on the back wall).

Surrounds generally render a better overall effect when they don't "match" the front speakers or your ears in height, but are instead significantly higher. If you sometimes "lose" them, if the levels are properly calibrated there are still times when there's little or no surround content in movies. When playing 2-channel music sources in surround using a mode such as DPLII, they should always be playing at just a little lower level than the mains.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #363085 01/08/12 05:40 PM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Bassman,
Ideally, for a 5.1 configuration, the surround speakers should be mounted on the side walls not the rear one. As Alan has mentioned before movie soundtracks are mixed with surround speakers on the side not the rear.

When a couch is against the back wall, it should be pulled away from it as much as possible (a few inches will help), absorbing material should be installed behind the listeners' head. Finally, the surround speakers should be mounted on the side walls 12 inches away from the back wall. When not possible, because they are very placement forgiving, the Axiom surround speakers will also give a great performance on the backwall. Then they should be installed on each side and a few feet away from the couch (when possible), one foot or two feet above the seated listeners' ear level and, 12 inches away from the side walls.

For a 5.1 configuration system powered by a 7.1 A/V receiver, even if the surround speakers are installed on the backwall they should be powered from the side surround binding posts of your receiver not the rear ones.

jc
Jc #363134 01/09/12 09:24 AM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Thanks to you both. You've saved me money on stands!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044