Print Thread
Rate Thread
placement of 6th channel sleaker
#6842 11/14/02 02:49 PM
rchiav Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
The room where our TV is located isn't the most HT friendly out there. The room is 11x22 with a fireplace on one short wall, with the other short wall being half open (half wall for 5', 4' opening and then a '2 full wall). There's a big window on one of the longer walls. Basically the TV can either go in the corner with the half wall or on the 22' wall. We originally put the couch on the 22' wall and the TV in the corner. In currently in the process of buying a RPTV, new receiver and speakers (axiom m22i's, etc.. ). With the way things are, the surround isn't going to be all that great. Here's 2 pics of the room.

http://itech.homelinux.com/home/291.jpg
http://itech.homelinux.com/home/290.jpg

So my surround options for this setup aren't all that spectacular. My other option is to put the couch under the window, te TV across from it (glare issues, lopsided room) and then I could have a decent 5 channel setup.

My question is, would a 6th channel even be feasable then? I'd have to mount it right behind the couch above the window. Or I could go with a 6th and 7th on either side of the window. Would this be worth it? Should they really be placed farther behind the listening position?

Thanks..
Rich

Re: placement of 6th channel sleaker
#6843 11/14/02 05:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The 6th channel would be pointless in that config.

My recommendation: grab a sledge hammer.

#6844 11/14/02 06:20 PM
regular
regular
hey rchiav,nothing is as bad as it seems.heres a thought:
move couch to window
ht set-up tp 22' wall
thick drapes on window
6th channel speaker,above window,firing down
rear channels to either side of couch
finally,shutters on window opening to kitchen area
hopes this gives you some ideas
later....19

#6845 11/14/02 06:58 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Dude, no worries.. Put the t/v on the full short wall, right where you have the larger bookcase now.. Plenty of room on either side for speaker placement..
Surrounds on the sides, up high.. Just back from the sliding window, about where that little wall hanging is, and same of the other side, just back from that picture.. I guess that would be about 8 to 10 feet ?
And the rear (6th) would go on that portion of the rear wall
that divides the room from the kitchen.. Q's would work wonders in that room..
Place your main seating about 6 to 8 from t/v.. This leaves the room open just behind that seating, giving you (your wife) a place to put a small table, room divider or whatever.. Maybe that larger book case? (I would recommend a folding screen type room divider, with a plant or two near by.. Gives you the opportunity to make changes without a lot of hassle).. All of this breaks up the room, giving you a small area to "mingle with the guests", prior to the begining of the movie..
Don't worry about that slider either.. Nothing is perfect, and it will cause some glare problems during the day, but you can work that out with new heavier drapes, etc.. Easy stuff.. Wife will love the chance to redecorate, eh :-)
One last thing, I would 'hang' those main speakers.. Use the tried and true swag lamp hooks.. Two of those, drywall toggles or stud screws, will hold up a horse.. And don't sweat the small holes you need to put in the top edge of the speakers.. Use small closed eye bolt, drill two small pilot holes in the top edge, one on each side, about one third from the back side to front. This allows the speaker to tilt forward a bit right from the start.. I used to place the hole at the halfway mark, but this just made it more difficult to get the desired down angle.. The forward tilt can then be increased or lessened with the addition of a 3rd eye bolt in the lower part of the back of the speaker, if needed.. I have always used swag lamp chain, and there is a lot of styles to pick from, but the rear lead can also be made from any handy wire you have left over.. No one can see it behind the speaker, so no big deal..
Run that flat 'paint over it' type speaker wire up the wall, or, fish your spkr wire up thru the dry wall, coming out just behind each spkr..
Believe me, you will love the sound.. And, it opens up more of the room on either side of the t/v, giving you space for plants, stereo gear, etc.. Much more professional looking, and your wife will love it for it's "Neatness" factor..
Well, that's my two bits worth.. Hope it helps..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Re: placement of 6th channel speaker
#6846 11/15/02 01:27 PM
rchiav Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks for the suggestions. We've owned the house a total of 5 months now and I definately plan on blowing that wall out eventually. There's too much more we want to do with the house now (and have already done). It's going to be a few years before we invest in an addition. When we do.. I'll put 2 windows in instead of that one, and the TV will go between them.

MIKEY..

What "short wall" are you referring to? You mentioned a book shelf.. but there's two. One on either side of the room. I don't see how a rear projection is going to fit on the side of the fireplace.

It would all be much easier if we just used the room in the front of the house. Unfortunately, the wife got first dibs on the rooms .

#6847 11/15/02 06:20 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Oh man, my apologies.. I read thru your add way too fast.. I took a look at the photo (not the best rez on my old computer) and took that fireplace to be a book case.. ?
I was flicking back and forth from work to the forum, and gave ya a whole lot if info about nothing, eh? haha.. Well, you can still hang those speakers.. Even in a corner, they will open up in sound, and give you some much needed space around the viewing area.. Again, sorry for my hap hazard approach..
Say, what about knocking that fireplace out? hahah.. Just a thought, eh..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#6848 11/15/02 10:01 PM
rchiav Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I've had to tell my wife about a thousand times by now that I really wish that we didn't have the fireplace. She loves it. Go Figure .

#6849 11/19/02 01:46 PM
rchiav Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
OK.. So I think the plan is going to be moving the couch under the window and centering the new TV on the long wall. This should work out better for sound.

Soo.. that leaves me with the question..

Should I just do a 5.1 setup or could I at all benifit from a 6th/7th channel? Or would this ruin the rear sound?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,475
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hambrabi, rrlev, Kodiak), 738 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup