New to HT / Desire System Recommendations
#21410 10/04/03 01:45 PM
B
Beck Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
My wife and are just learning about HT & AV and really don't want to become experts. Our initial study of the literature is leaving us overwhelmed.

Facts: Room size is 20 x 25 but only the front 2/3rds will be used for HT; music will be played more frequently than HT; room is nicely furnitured and want the speaker system to fit in; budget for receiver & speaker system around $2k; music taste is jazz/acoustical/classical on lower volumes (though our three kids will be entering their teen years soon enough)

One recommendation we received: JBL N26 satellites; JBL ND310 main; Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver; VTH-2 Hsu sub

Second recommendation we received: Aperion 5.1 HT speakers with 10" sub; Onkyo TX-SR701 receiver

Third recommendation we received: Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver; PSB or Paradigm speakers (would have to look up model numbers)

In reading reviews this morning, we've now made it to the Axiom site. Open for advice.

Thanks.

Re: New to HT / Desire System Recommendations
#21411 10/04/03 04:52 PM
shareholder in the making
I have a feeling you'll end up purchasing an Axiom system. I'm pretty sure it will beat all the systems that were recommended to you -- especially for classical/jazz/acoustic music.

Are you interested more in bookshelf sized speakers or floorstanders? If you would prefer bookshelves, then the Axiom M22ti is your best option. I own these myself and they are definitely the best $400 speakers I've ever heard. To build a top-quality system around those, I'd add a VP150 center channel ($350), a pair of QS4 speakers ($310), and finally an HSU VTF-2 ($499). That brings the total price to $1599. If you opt for factory outlet speakers (which I highly recommend), you can bring that price down by almost 10% to ~$1400.

As far as receivers go, I'd recommend the Yamaha RX-V1400 to drive this system. It MSRP is $799, but you can find it for a bit over $600.

The reason I (and others here) recommend the Yahama is because of its YPAO feature, which automatically calibrates and adjusts all your speakers for optimum sound.

This total system will outshine all three recommendations you listed below. I'll leave it to other people on the board to either contradict or support that claim.

#21412 10/04/03 06:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, the $2K system Peter suggested would be pretty hard to beat.

#21413 10/04/03 06:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree. Peter pretty much picked what I would have said. If you can afford the extra, the M60's are wonderful as well.

#21414 10/05/03 12:58 AM
old hand
old hand
I am sure M22 will do a wonderful job. Since your room is fairly big, I feel you should seriously consider the M60's.

I too love classical and instrumental music and the M22's have wonderful details, clarity and liveliness. You may want to audition both before making your decision. I am sure if you look at this posting, you'll find someone in your vicinity that is willing to show off his / her speakers.

Since the difference in price between the HTR5490 (RX-V1200 I think which is 2001 model) and the RX-V1400 is only USD 100, you should definitely get the latest one. It is 2 generations ahead of HTR5490 and the YPAO is a killer feature. Also RX-V1400 has support for more formats and better A/D - D/A converters and superior video switching options. Here are the RX-V1400 specs in PDF format.

I read a lot of good things about Onkyo 701 too and it is quite cheap but no YPAO / MCACC.

Good luck!

#21415 10/05/03 11:46 PM
The only change I would make to Peter's is to change the QS4s to QS8s. That would be similar to what I'm planning on (other than the center channel thing, which is cosmetic).

Ken

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#21416 10/06/03 01:48 AM
K
K
I noticed that no one ever recommends a complete system from Axiom. Are the subs inferior?

#21417 10/06/03 02:19 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I don't know anything about the JBLs but I did do an in home audition of the Aperions (522s I think it was). I don't mean to bash Aperion, but to my ears and my sons they sounded "screechy" (harsh). I promptly packed them up and shipped them back after one day. Some would say they needed "breakin time" but I could tell right away that I couldn't live with them.

I have a pair of M22ti and I love them. If I didn't already own the KEF Q series HT speakers, my dream would be to have 7 M22tis (yes, even for a center) all round'. I haven't heard any of the other Axioms but I'm sure they shine just as brightly (shining star bright, that is) as the M22ti.

There are many great receivers on the market today. Some of the latest models from Yamaha and Pioneer have an automatic setup system which includes "Auto EQ". I and many others feel that this is a very worthwhile feature and that in the near future many other manufactures will jump on the EQ band wagon as well. I have the RX-2400 and just love it. The RX-1400 is a great value as well(same processor slightly less power). Pioneer Elite reveivers should be considered too but may put you out of budget. I recommend buying from stores such Tweeter Electronics because they have a 30 day money back return policy. This way, you could audition several different brands in home (which is the best place to get to know about a product like this).

In reply to:

My wife and are just learning about HT & AV and really don't want to become experts.

You don't have to become an expert but if you invest in a good, modern HT receiver, you should be prepared to spend some time learning how to use it. It can be a bit daunting. But you can gleen all kinds of helpful info from boards like these and there are many folks on this very board who are more than willing to help you with your questions.

You can't go wrong with the HSU. SVS is also another sub to consider.

BTW, unless you wall off the other 1/3 of your room, the whole area must be considered when planing for speakers and how to power them. Larger rooms require more power to fill them up (you can't just fill up 2/3s of the room and ignore the rest of it.) Considering your room size, you may want to opt for the HSU VTF-3 subwoofer. Good luck and check back to the Axiom board often.

P.S: Once you hear your music on a terrific system such as you are considering, you may change your mind about listening at "lower volumes".

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#21418 10/06/03 03:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I also can't comment on the JBLs.

But I had the Aperions in my home, side by side with my Ascend CBM-170's and Axiom M22's, the Aperions were not in the same class.

I have also heard a lot of Paradigms. Good speakers, but the Ascends and Axioms clearly offer more value in my mind.

PSB also seem to be held in good regard, but I have never heard them.

This is a good board.....the Axiom folks won't steer you wrong.

-curtis

#21419 10/06/03 12:44 PM
B
Beck Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
This is Tom with the original post. Thanks to all for the great and timely advice. We will be going with Peter's recommendations (we will become an Axiom customer), and will consider some of the upgrades recommended by others. Recommendations on good, cost effective internet vendors for Yamaha receivers? Also, any suggestions on wiring (I intend to re-wire the room running power/cabling under the floor to just behind the seating area) - books/articles that may be helpful? This is an excellent Board...thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (spiroh), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup