Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Upgrade HTS
#62314 09/27/04 01:26 PM
OP Offline
Last year I purchased the following HTS for my son: Infinity Entra Point 5 HTS Blk 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System, Onkyo 501 receiver, and a JVC CD single disk CD player. This year I would like to begin upgrading this system. I am considereing upgrading the main speakers and thought about the m40ti or m22ti Axioms. Also have been looking at Infinity tower speaker systems. Any suggestions that you have will be appreciated. Another consideration is to upgrade the sound when playing CDs. Appreciate any responses or suggestions.

Re: Upgrade HTS
#62315 09/27/04 03:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike,
Since i have not heard the Infinity setup your describe, i cannot comment on whether a change to Axiom speakers is an upgrade or not. That alone should be a decision best left to yourself and your son after you've compared the two speaker sets.
That being said, there are several reviews on the M40/50s and M22s/M60s lineup on these forums. Here is one to get you started. They are all excellent speakers with only subtle differences between them.

As for the other question, you cannot upgrade the sound when playing cds. See some of the other threads in the forums presently running and disregard the marketing hype that has some people brainwashed surrounding DAC quality. The quality of today's DACs onboard cd players exceed the human ability to distinguish differences (unless they are truly garbage made).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#62316 09/27/04 04:42 PM
OP Offline
Thanks

#62317 09/27/04 06:01 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Mike - welcome.

I like the advice chesseroo gives.

A couple observations from somebody who has never heard that Infinity system (but I did peruse the online owner's manual). You'll never know until you actually listen. You might find that you simply like the way that the Infinity speakers sound.

However, there are a couple of physics problems in your current situation. The Axiom speakers have bigger drivers and bigger boxes than the Infinity system, so should be able to produce louder volumes more cleanly. Likewise, the Infinity sub is only rated down to about 35Hz, so if a robust Home Theatre experience is one of your goals, you may wish to get a bigger, more powerful sub at some point.

I like that Onkyo, and would not replace it for some time.

I think the Infinity sub would probably suffice for quite a while too.

My counsel would be to try some Axioms and listen for a while to see if they represent a good change for you. These forums are full of testimonials.

How old is your son? Will he be moving the speakers a lot? People love the M22, and they are a lot lighter to move and cheaper to send back if you simply don't care for them. They are not a compromise speaker, but a premium bookshelf model.

Let us know how things work out for you.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#62318 09/28/04 03:31 PM
OP Offline
I agree with you. My son is 22 and he lives in NY; I have listened to his system a couple of times and he will probably be moving in the future. I bought his system as a starter and it does sound pretty good. I intended to upgrade it a little bit at a time. The whole system was about $1,000 at the time and I know that is not a lot of money for these types of systems. But it is a lot of money for me and his room is quite small. My comment about CDs was intended to ask for advice concerning improving the system for just listening to music, because he also uses his HTS as his stereo. I thought that bigger main speakers would improve that aspect. I believe that the m22 are the way to go even though the cost (with stands) is about the same as the m40??? Not sure what the difference in performance is, if any? Thanks for your input and I will keep u informed on my progress.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044