Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Screen question
#77857 01/18/05 07:05 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Yeah, I know, this is a speaker site, but hey, I trust you guys here as I have always gotten honest responses to my questions, and enjoy participating in the discussions here.

This is my problem. I am going to go front projection, but I hear (and saw this past weekend) about how bad many pull down screens are with getting wrinkled or creases in them. I understand that Da-Lite, for example, has B and C class screens with the C having a larger roller that helps with this. I also understand that CSR helps as well as it controls how fast the screen retracts. I have also heard reports that electric screens are even better for keeping the screen in good contition and not being wavy. Add to that the option for tensioned screens, and it should be really quite good.

I want a nice flat screen, but I don't think that I will be able to swing a tensioned, motorized one due to cost. I am looking in the 96-106" range (16:9). I would jump on a fixed screen set up, but this is going to be in my family room in my basement.

What do you guys recommend for options? I am not totally opposed to a fixed screen as long as someone can help me with an idea for the decor for the room to make it more "family room" and less "dedicated theater" due to an agreement I have with my wife that I don't want to break. She is still struggling with the SVS cynlander sub, but I don't think that I should push it much further.

Thanks!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Screen question
#77858 01/18/05 07:36 PM
shareholder in the making
Hey Nick, can't comment on retract/tension type screens as you know I'm a DIY guy. Front Projection is the only way to go for true Home Theatre entertainment.

I can't recall what projector you ended up with, wasn't it the Panny 700? I luv my Z2, but am thinking about selling it to a friend and getting the Z3 that just came out...

I have heard that some of the retract, and even tension screens can over time start to show waves, not good. If I were you I would start with something in a Matte White, 1.0 gain material. One idea if your planning on painting the screen wall white anyway, would be to figure out where the screen will display on the wall, and don't apply any texture to that area or use semigloss. When your not watching a movie, most people may not even notice the area. Another option, I just came across at Menards in the paneling aisle is Parkland Durotherm Lite panels. They have a matte white side and are about 1/8-1/4" thick, so they would not require any backing, and are very very light, so you could remove it from the wall if you wanted. They come in 4 x 8 sheets. If you want 16:9, you would have to cut the length down to 85" and you'd have a 98" diag. Or you could leave it alone and you'd have a 2.0:1 screen for 107" diag. I'm planning on a 2.05:1 screen of 54" x 110" constant height setup. This allows me to enjoy the wider formats like 2.35 material and use the full height of my screen, of course I have to adjust my zoom when watching 1.33, 1.78, and 1.85 material.

good luck

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#77859 01/18/05 09:35 PM
devotee
devotee
I'm really impressed with these guys http://www.projectorpackages.com/

The owner is the man who designed IMAX screens. The prices are reasonable and the screens are supposed to be on par or better than Stewart Firehawks (an industry standard). They have pricing and different styles of screens available on their website and they have a number to call if you have any questions. I've called a couple of times and they are very knowledgable.

Good luck!

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#77860 01/18/05 10:40 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
No projector yet. I am really looking at the Z3, but I need to get a bonus check from work (which we are scheduled to get in March) before that.

I may end up with the DIY screen in the end anyway, but I don't have any place to store it when not in use, so I don't need to worry about removing it from the wall, but I want something better than paint. Hmmm.. What to do, what to do....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#77861 01/18/05 10:50 PM
xj8 Offline
regular
regular
I have a Dalite screen model B. This was bought on the premis of being able to roll it up and down (yeah right)and out of site. I can tell you now that it remains as a fixed screen and looks great (also in basement). Same intial criteria as yourself, my wife wanted the screen out of the way when not in use, but after having the theatre set up for a couple of months...no problem with it being rolled down as the whole system looks quite impressive. (getting new leather furniture may have helped as well)

Couple of things I did that may help.
1. When I mounted the screen, I mounted the screen to some blocks of plywood ( 2" x 5") attached to the wall just to get the screen about an inch away from the wall. This lets the screen hang down without interference (not leaning against the wall) as well as making it easier to roll up if you have to (from experience - doesn't catch on the wall)
2. Instead of tensioners and other expensive solutions, I originally had used bungee cords. However the look was a little less then appealing. Added small "wrist band" weights that joggers use, first to the sides and then I just went to a single weight to the handle. Worked great.
3. HVAC is probably the major culprit in making a screen move, and I had a vent a few feet away from the screen. I got a vent cover that blows the air the opposite direction away from the screen so that I now don't even need the weight attached to keep the screen still. Look for any changes you can make here. This $7 improvement solved any screen movement.
4. Although I have only had the screen for 4 months, I figure at $200 dollars for the screen, if it gets wavy in 2-3 years....just buy a new one. This is the cheapest part of a home theatre!!!

I can send some pics of what the finished product looks like if interested, as I can't figure out how to post these.

#77862 01/18/05 11:50 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W
hi guys , i buy a z2 4 months ago and for screen i go whit GOOSCREEN it's a painting one in my wall. the quality is pretty amazing, and for price to! SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH im a french person from montreal.

m3ti -vp100 -w3 -qs4
#77863 01/19/05 04:59 AM
ahhhh the old bonus check in March, I can relate Nick, Principal does the same thing, along with our hopefully decent salary increase each year My Z2 has performed flawlessly, but I do like the enhanced contrast of the Z3, the ability to clean dust blobs without having to take the case apart and use compressed air, and also the much improved built in scaler board. According to projector central, there is not need to look at upconvert dvd players with the Z3, as the onboard scaler does a stupendice job.

hope you figure something out! and don't worry I'll get some pics going soon..

#77864 01/19/05 05:45 AM
Hey Nick,

Another thought, I was just hanging out at the DIY Screen forum over at AVS. There is a guy that claims Lowes, and some other home imrovement stores are now carrying Black Out Blinds that roll up. If you recall, Blackout Cloth (drapery liner) is widely used as a popular, cheap, DIY screen method when stretched over a DIY frame. You might want to check this out. If they truely have a window blind that is made of BlackOut material (will not let light pass through) and it is Matte White (gain of 1.0) you would be good to go. Of course, you would have to see if the material looks like it would stay flat and not be wavy, and also it would depend on the sizes available. If this worked, you could roll it up when not in use. Your pretty handy, just build your wife a nice, custom wood shelf along the wall with routed edges for her to place her pretty's. The screen could roll up under the wood edge.....

Ok edit below

Here is the quote from Steve at AVS...
One thing I have been experimenting with lately is levolor roll-blinds. You can buy a 73" nylon blind in many different colors--such as white or light grey. They come in roll-blind fashion, so you could probably easily attach a stand of some sort to the roll-blind.

I recently bought a 73" wide blind at Lowe's in Illinois for $30. The image it produces is pretty fantastic, and actually rivals my Screen Goo painted parkland plastic. I plan in make my own retractable screen with it on my wall.

You would have to go check them out in your new Lowe's on the East side. They may come in wider sizes, but this would get you a 41" x 73" or about an 84" diag. which I know is smaller than you hope. You never now, maybe they make larger sizes, and the light gray might enhance blacks, as long as it doesn't sacrifice color saturation. Another problem is the masking border on something like this, you'd have to get creative...

Later.....its bed time...

Last edited by sirquack; 01/19/05 05:58 AM.

#77865 01/19/05 05:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here is one that can be hidden when not in use. It also is of a different thin cellophane film material and is close to having no wrinkles or waves. I have rolled this up and down hundreds of time without any issues.

http://www.spacelofts.com/h30/mini-IMG_2391.htm
click on the NEXT 4.
Click on thumbnail and look at the link on Top for the DaLite portable screen.

#77866 01/19/05 03:13 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Saturn. Not quite as big as I was hoping, which is possibly why it doesn't get as wavy, but a nice idea anyway...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020