Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Finishing my first HT setup, looking for advice.
#79537 01/28/05 10:54 PM
Krait Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey everyone,

I'm working on completing my first HT setup, and my goal is to do it right the first time. I have a few questions still that I'd like to get some opinions / answers on.

I live in a fairly old house, built in the early 40's. Lots of windows, hardwood floors, plaster walls, and a furnace intake right by the TV. I really have only good things to say about my accoustic experiences in this room, but that was mostly live music (Piano, voice, guitar and such). I've heard otherwise about those type of walls and setting up a Home theater though. So, I am a little unsure of what would be the best to purchase and where to place to accomodate the layout of it now. Here are a few pictures showing the layout, and one that has a few areas labeled that I was considering for placement.

The Room is 12x24x10

As you can see there are 2 large open spaces behind the typical surround spots. Would this cause the QS8s to not perform as well? There were direct firing speakers there before. How about the affects on M22's (or maybe M2s) in the rear?

As to the front stage, I was thinking of M60s (2800ish cubic feet deserves those right?). The right M60 would be very close to a doorway, any issue other than obstructing a walkway? I pretty much have to place the center underneath the Samsung HLP5063, and I have been flip flopping between both VPs and perhaps using a M22 inverted... I did like the idea of 2 VP100s one above and below the TV. What about 2 M22s as Centers? :P. The center Axioms are really the only thing I've heard unsatisfactory comments about. Popping P's and hissing S's apparently? Speaker placement would perhaps be the culprit?

Sub... I'm going to hold off on if I get the M60s. With the previous system there was problems with rattling windows, something that has been on the fix list for awhile. However, I will have a friend coming by with a Velodyne that he has had for awhile 10"front 12"down, don't know the model off hand. So I might end up changing my mind.

These will be driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX. DVD's are being done by my PS2 right now, and by a HTPC with an Audigy2 once I transfer it to a new case (similar looking to a receiver).

Currently there is no WAF to worry about, but I am curious what people have to say about the black finish? Haven't seen many pictures with those.

Summary:
1. Placement advice.
2. Speaker Selection: Budget - $1800... for now. Will get Rears later.
a. Fronts M60 (feeling pretty confident about that)
b. Center VP100 (x2?), VP150 (Perhaps too wide for room?), M22 (Cleaner sound)
c. Surround QS8 or M22 due to rear end of room?
3. Do I overthink this waaay too much? Or did you all go through this? :P

Thanks!!

David

Re: Finishing my first HT setup, looking for advice.
#79538 01/28/05 11:37 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi David, welcome.

You have a beautiful home. Nice TV!

Everybody goes through this, I think. You're supposed to enjoy it.

I'd go for the M60's. I love mine. That's a decent size room. If you have a problem with the loveseat on the right blocking the right main speaker too much, you might consider putting the M60's on smallish "risers" like Ajax did. No way to tell until you get them and experiment with placement.

It's perfectly okay to want to do it right the first time, as long as you don't think it's the LAST time.

I'd put the QS8 surround left at about 1.5 (between 1 and 2) and align the top of the speaker with the top of that door jamb. I'd be hesitant to put it up close to the ceiling like in positions 2/3. Try to make the surrounds symmetrical relative to the listening position.

I would absolutely NOT worry about those room openings relative to the surrounds. Likewise, my opinion is that you're going to love the Axiom 5.1 experience so much in that room that 7.1 will not make a difference that is worth the money. If you did go to 7.1, I think that the M22's would be overkill unless you are committed to multichannel audio (DVDA/SACD).

I'd try to control the light behind the TV a little more.

You'll love music without a sub with the M60's. However, a full HT experience is absolutely incomplete without a competent subwoofer. You'd be MUCH better off with a sub than with 7.1, IMO.

I have the VP100 in a quite large room and am completely satisfied. Just one data point. Don't worry. If you think the VP150 will fit/look good positioned under your TV, do it. I don't think two center channels in that size room is going to be worth the money, and I'm having trouble visualizing a vertical M22 in that space.

My VP100 is black (M60/QS8 in cherry). Frankly, I think the black finish looks very very good. Somewhat glossier than my cherry ones.

Nice room. Nice pics. Good luck with your journey. Stick around and help us with HTPC stuff.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: Finishing my first HT setup, looking for advic
#79539 01/28/05 11:41 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
First off, welcome to the boards. Secondly, beautiful room! I really love the warmth that the natural light provides. Now, on to your dilemma.

I think you should go with the M60s as long as you're sitting at least 10 feet back from them. As far as the center goes, you could really get away with a single VP100 since your room is rather narrow and you don't have to spread the sound over a large area. I have a VP100 sitting on top of my TV, aimed downward so it fires at my ears. The only time I have ever heard it be sibilant or poppy is when the source material is flawed. Good recording sound great to me.

For surround duty, your choice of QS8s and M22s is great. I'd personally put them in the locations you have labelled #2.

Now, for your color choice, normally I don't mind black, but your room is so warm and creamy, I think black will stand out like a sore thumb. Mansfield Beech or even Light Maple might be a better fit.

#79540 01/28/05 11:54 PM
veteran
veteran
A good way to get the wife into this would be to send her shopping for some nice heavy drapes or shades for the windows. Glass reflects sound pretty efficiently and thin material won't do a thing to help. Looks like you have a good amount of furniture and rugs on the floor, that will help. As far as placement, I would say you would want to pick the lower or at least mid positions. There seems to be quite a lot of theories on this. You may want to find some temporary way of mounting these for experimentation purposes. As far as the M60's are concerned, you are about to be assimilated into the Collective. The M60 Posse is about, and about to do no good...

"There's too many notes!" M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 AVR-2805 SCD595 Panasonic DVD-S35
#79541 01/29/05 03:57 AM
Krait Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the quick replies.

I believe it is decided now M60, VP100, QS8, and in the near future a sub. If I was looking at spending more than 1000 I'd go with the EP500 or 600. I'm thinking more along the lines of 550-650 though, which leans me towards a HSU VTF2 or the SVS 20-39PCi. However, I do prefer the looks of the Axiom... I'll save that mental exercise for a week or two.

I do intend to wait on a little feedback from a few special ladies. No wife yet, so any womanly advice has to be given by consensus. So I'll know about the color soon, but the polls suggest Black is the winner, and they know what a lot of my other furniture is like... Also, that picture is a good bit lighter than in person.

I do have plans to limit the sun behind the TV. Actually the boxes of blinds are sitting next to it in one of those pics.

I'll be sure to take some more shots once all is setup. I will definitely be hanging around the forums as well.

Thanks again!

#79542 01/29/05 04:06 AM
veteran
veteran
As far as the window treatment, I was thinking more along the lines of damping the sound than the sun. You have a room much like mine, and should be mindful of the "brightness" all that glass and hardwood can add to your sound field. Just my .02 cents!

"There's too many notes!" M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 AVR-2805 SCD595 Panasonic DVD-S35
#79543 01/29/05 04:27 AM
local
local
VP150 is too heavy for the Samsung DLP, nor will fit within the console. I have one and I tried it. VP100 might be within weight limits for sitting on top. Check with Samsung.

I'd suggest a 5.1 config with a good sub over a 7.0 config with rear speakers, but no sub.

The sub really provides much of the "gravitas" and foundation for music, and especially HT.

#79544 01/29/05 03:44 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Another solution might be to find/build a low stand for the 150 that sits in front of/below the TV.

#79545 01/29/05 08:32 PM
local
local
Another solution might be to find/build a low stand for the 150 that sits in front of/below the TV.

My 150 was too heavy for my Toshiba DLP, so I found a way to rig it into the TV stand underneath. Doesn't take up additional space like a low stand, and works great!

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910
#79546 01/29/05 10:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had to build a stand to put my VP150 on top of my 48" LG as the top of the LG is only about 1 3/4" deep. Whenever I get the second coat of paint on it I'll post a pic.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters