Page 1 of 2 1 2
DVDO Edge Announced
#216083 07/23/08 10:18 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
For those of you who’ve always wanted top notch scaling and deinterlacing that only a stand alone video processor can only provide, but didn’t have the money to seriously consider one, DVDO has announced a new product. I have been using a VP50Pro and a VP50 prior to that for the past two years. I feel violated when I look at the spec sheet of this new product and what they are going to sell it for in comparison to what I paid for the VP’s.

It does not have the same functionality that the VP’s do, but it should do an amazing job with standard def material, as well as frame double 1080P/24. They are looking for beta testers right now….. If you are selected, you can buy one for a reduced price of an already amazingly low price.

Information is at AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1051294

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1051246

Re: DVDO Edge Announced
michael_d #216097 07/24/08 12:54 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
So, does this thing (via vertical stretch or whatever) supplant the need for an anamorphic lens?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #216116 07/24/08 02:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My understanding is that a scaler impacts the input TO the projector and not the output FROM the projector. Something still needs to squish all of the pixels from a 16:9 (1.78:1) projector to end up at 2.35:1 or whatever "wider" format. That is where the lens comes in...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #216171 07/24/08 02:48 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Still need a lens for a scope set up, unless you just want to use the zoom and re-focus method (PITA).

michael_d #216201 07/24/08 05:17 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
O-Tay! Thanks for the clarification. I'm not projector savvy, but enjoy learning from you guys.

That looks like an amazing processor, especially at that price point. I'm especially impressed by how much switching it does.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #216440 07/26/08 05:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm very interested in this device when it comes out. Since I'm technically challenged in these high tech areas can some one explain the benefits if any of using a video processor in laymans terms, for a normal setup such as mine that contains, Satellite HD TV, Blu-ray, HDDVD, DVD and games. Thanks

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #216450 07/26/08 07:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
HD content -> HD display - no benefit
SD & DVD -> HD display - potentially huge benefit

When you go from an image that has 1 million pixels at full resulution and put it on a screen that has 4 million pixels (number of pixels randomly selected for example purposes) the processor has to invent/create an additional 3 million pixels to fill in all the extra space in a realistic way.

Imagine that one processor only gets 1 in 2 of the invented pixels 'right': not a pretty picture. At least not compared to a processor that gets them all right.

With processors that are not so good, you get scaling artifacts like jaged edges, loss of fine detail and, um, other stuff?? I don't remember all the details, but picture quality noticably sufferes.

These days, stock scalers are much better than even a few years ago. In my system, the scaling is handled by the graphics chips built in to my mother board and for DVD to 1080P does a good job: good enough for me anyway.

SD tv signals to 1080P presents more of a challenge so my scaler could possible not be good enough. Luckily I don't watch TV any more so its a non issue for me.

Before spending money on an outboard scaler, I would personally try to do a direct comparison between what you currently have and the outboard scaler.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #216470 07/27/08 12:07 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Michael,

As I tried to explain in the 720 verses 1080 thread, video processing is an incredibly complicated process. I only touched on some of the things being asked of a video processor. Until recently, stand alone cutting edge video processors were not financially possible for the general public. It wasn’t long ago that they would cost in excess of 50K. A hand full of companies started selling stand along video processors that were more afordable about ten years ago (Lumigen, Gennum, Pixel Magic, Faroudja and DVDO are the most common). Most of these run upwards of 5K. To see a VP with as many functions as the Edge is advertising at this price is unheard of.

Videophiles use stand alone VP’s for various reasons, but the common reason is top notch scaling and deinterlacing. Each chip has is advantages, and each has its shortcomings. DVDO, which uses the ABT chip is known for being the best for upconversion of 480i – 1080i to 1080P, and also animation. When you use one of these devices, you select a source that will output unprocessed data stored on the disk that is output directly from the MPEG decoder via HDMI. The Oppo 970 and 980 and a few select other dvd players will do this nowadays, but in the past, none would. The ultimate is to modify a player with a good decoder (not all are equal) with SDI, however the benefits of SDI are very small if any and generally not worth the expense now that there are options for 480i output via HDMI. I have had on my rack at the same time an Oppo 970 and a SDI modified Oppo 981. I had duplicate copies of the same movie and I timed them just right so that I could swap back and forth with the same remote (both share IR codes, so I could push pause and play and they would both do this at the same time and stay in sync). There was a very subtle difference between the two, but not enough to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about spending $500 to modify the 981. However, when I compared the 981 going directly to my display via HDMI with the 981 doing the upconvesion to 1080P and the 970 going into the VP as 480i with the VP50Pro doing the upconversion, there was a very distinct difference with the 970 / VP50pro combination being the decisive winner.

With the Edge you will also get noise reduction and fine edge detail and enhancement, which will improve all broadcast and 480i dvd. It’s not the best available, but it does work farly well. I can not tell a difference with BR / HDdvd. If you want to use an anamorphic lens and need to vertically stretch an image, it will do that. It has Cue Correction, which is an inherent bug found in many dvd players. It will allow you to perform some basic video calibrations that are not found on many displays. The edge does not come with a color management system, but not many VP’s do. Usually, you have to go into the display’s service menu for that. Lumegen has CMS and the VP50 Pro is rumored to get this function in a highly anticipated firmware update. The Edge comes with Prep, which takes a progressive input from a source that will not allow you to output the interlaced data and will extrapolate the native interlaced stream and allow the Edge to apply its own algorithms for a progressive output. What this means, is there are a lot of dvd players that really suck at reverse telecine conversion and progressive scanning and the Prep feature can correct this. It works too. This also works with 720P broadcast, as we all know, any help for broadcast is highly desired.

One thing the Edge has that many die hard videophiles will want, is two HDMI outputs. This will enable them to send one output directly to their display, while the other HDMI output will send the audio stream to their audio processor. Just about every audio processor on the market does something to the video stream, even if you turn off the video processor. The Onkyo’s with Reon do this for an example. They change the color space from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4. The only way to make them not do this is to go so far as to turn off the display. So, by having two outputs, you bypass any undesirable effects that the audio processor may cause and get the purest output from a VP as possible. This does have a drawback though; you loose the OSD / GUI for the audio processor. You will have to run a cable from the audio processor to the display and switch inputs on the display to get the GUI / OSD again.

I can tell you that in my system, the VP50Pro makes a very big difference when it’s in the chain. (I sit 12’ away from a 41” X 96” 2.35 scope screen.) It makes dvd look darn near as good as HD/BR. It cleans up broadcast 480i some, which makes it bearable to watch. Without the VP in the loop, I can’t watch it. It does a fantastic job with 1080i broadcast. It also improves 1080P/24 off BR and HD/DVD disks. I can take the 24 fps input and output that format at either 48 or 60 fps, which make the image smoother. I can also apply some fine edge detail to any input, which again, helps some.

I can not in good conscience recommend a VP50Pro at $3500 msrp to anyone who isn’t shooting an image onto a large screen. It’s just not worth the money unless you need some of the functions the VP provides. But if this Edge gives you similar improvements in image quality that the Pro does, $800 is a bargain. They both share the same chip, so they should have similar performance.

DVDO usually has a 30 day, in home trial period. If you don’t like it, send it back. Depending on your system, it may not do any good whatsoever, so I would take advantage of the trial period and send it back if you don’t see a marked improvement.

michael_d #216473 07/27/08 12:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I bow to your shovel! I was thinking only in terms of smaller displays, say up to 50". I wonder is the difference as pronounced on a smaller screen?

Part of me really dosn't want to know 'cause I am happy with what I have for now.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #216476 07/27/08 02:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike,
Thanks for the explanation, I think this is a device I want to add to my HT.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters