C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
But the one I want isn't out yet. At least not to my knowledge. I think I'll be upgrading my pre-pro before my display, however, and I was hoping someone who keeps up on these would be able to tell me about models that are coming down the pike that might satisfy my list of wants, or at least get close.

Would be nice:
  • 6 or more HDMI 1.4a inputs
  • Simultaneous height and wide channel output
  • Independent calibration of multiple subs (2 subs being realistic, 4 being what I keep dreaming of)
  • Network capable with FLAC playback
  • Audyssey XT32
  • Balanced connections
  • ISF calibration for each input
  • Firmware updates via internet or flash drive

FLAC playback and ISF calibration options would simply be icing. I'm not sure the absence of Audyssey XT32 would be a deal breaker, either, but I'd definitely want the others in the list. Onkyo's PR-SC5508 seems to come really close to what I want, minus the simultaneous height and wide channels. I wish they'd included that instead of the XLR stereo input. Also, is fast HDMI switching pretty much a given on recent gear, or does it need to say that it does it? I'm sure my display will still be a bottleneck on that until I upgrade it. I wish manufacturers offered a reduction in features on request, too, just to reduce clutter on the unit, and potentially pass on some savings. I don't care about video scaling anymore, since I'm mostly watching Blu-ray these days, and my player or computer can do scaling of other content I watch. I also don't need a radio tuner or nearly so many analog inputs.

Anyway, any specific models you think I should use as my goal?

Re: Pre-pro upgrade time
CV #336226 01/29/11 08:14 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Geez, you don't want much, do you? wink

I'm no help.

Are you sure you need to get all that stuff in one chassis? Can't you farm out the sub calibration to an SMS-1 or something?

Same with the FLAC; if that turns into a problem, couldn't you go with a squeezebox?

Man, you are hard to please. grin

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #336228 01/29/11 08:22 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes, FLAC could always be handled with an external device. I simply like the idea of consolidating where I can, and it's not an unheard of feature in receivers anymore.

I'd rather not have an extra device handling subwoofer EQ, though. That was the thing that annoyed me about the SVS AS-EQ1. It would be so much handier to have it handled in the receiver or processor as part of the normal calibration. But yeah, independent calibration of two subs seems to be a reasonable request now, so if nothing else, I can calibrate my subs as two pairs. I'm simply surprised no one is offering four-sub calibration yet. You'd think someone would have a high-end offering that would do it, even if it's out of my price range. Or maybe it's out there and I just don't know about it.

CV #336231 01/29/11 08:45 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Maybe you just don't need it.

Bwa ha ha.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #336232 01/29/11 08:54 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
smile True.

CV #336240 01/29/11 09:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Outlaw's yet to be released Model 978 seems to come the closest to what you want.

• Five HDMI 1.4a ins, 2 outs.
  • They haven't listed the channel specs at all yet.
  • Except it does have two, separate sub woofer outputs.
  • No network interface at all. This is by design, streaming is better handled by a device dedicated to the task (I agree).
  • Audyssey XT32
  • Balanced connections
  • It does have Anchor Bay video processing, but that and ISF calibration is much less needed these days with everything outputing 1080p over HDMI. It was only with SD, analog signals that there was enough variation that individual devices needed calibration.
  • Firmware upgrades over USB

It is due out about mid-year. I'd wait until at least then to see what shows up.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #336242 01/29/11 09:28 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was looking at that, too, but it seems like the Onkyo still has more of the features that I'm looking for. If the Model 978 ends up handling both heights and wides at the same time, I may throw it back into consideration.

I've never tried any receiver or pre-pro's native handling of streaming, so I can't comment on that intelligently, but I like the idea of not having to waste an input simply for music listening. And the Model 978 having only five HDMI inputs makes me wish it was a feature all the more.

I doubt I'll ever use two HDMI outputs, but who knows. Is anyone here actually making use of it?

I currently have an Integra, so I'm curious about brands outside of the Onkyo family. I do appreciate Outlaw's no-frills approach, and they seem much more capable of delivering a solid product than, say, Emotiva. On the other hand, it's hard to resist the sheer amount of features Onkyo packs in.

In any case, I may be too itchy to wait until mid-year, but wish me luck. Ha ha.

CV #336245 01/29/11 09:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think people with projects like to have backup screens that they can use just to navigate menus for music playback, rather than running up the hours on their project's bulb. But that could also easily be accomplished by an external switch.

So yeah, it wasn't something I felt was a real plus to me either. And too, would have rather have 6 inputs.

Actually, I'd like to see a receiver with only 1 HDMI input, and the ability to track input devices by their EDID, so you could use what ever size of switch or video processor or what ever you want before the receiver/pre-pro, and it would not object to having different devices being swapped out all the time.

Of course, combining that flexibility with more than one port wouldn't hurt at all.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #336248 01/29/11 09:48 PM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

It does have Anchor Bay video processing, but that and ISF calibration is much less needed these days with everything outputing 1080p over HDMI.

????
The fact that a source outputs at 1080p in no way reduces the need for ISF Calibration.

To the OP's question, I believe the Onkyo (and it's Integra equivalent) are the only Pre-pros that meet all your requirements (save the exception noted).

Last edited by Dundas; 01/29/11 09:50 PM.
CV #336249 01/29/11 09:49 PM
D
devotee
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: CV

Onkyo's PR-SC5508 seems to come really close to what I want, minus the simultaneous height and wide channels.

That's so strange, even my Onkyo 3008 has simultaneous height and wides (running them now) plus everything else on your list, just minus the balanced inputs.

I could never justify paying double the price just for balanced inputs.

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters