C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I have a sofa with a chaise longue at one end, and while it sort of hooks onto the rest of the sofa, it doesn't do so in a way that will transfer any of the feel of the ButtKicker. I intended to get a second ButtKicker at some point, anyway, since I figured two mounted directly to the platform that I'll have my seating mounted to should give plenty of satisfying shake. Does that seem reasonable?

However, I'm tempted to try another brand of tactile transducer just to try one. Clark Synthesis and Crowson spring to mind, but do you think it's worth trying it, or should I simply stick with ButtKicker?

My current plan is to have a platform on which the front row is elevated not very much at all, and the back row maybe a foot higher. At first I was going to have a row of three theater seats in the front so that that the front middle seat is the sweet spot. The rear seats were going to be a group of four, staggered from the front to further minimize any possibility for heads being in the way. Now I'm sort of thinking it should be a sofa of some sort, since some of my friends seem to be against theater seats. It would at least allow someone to really stretch out if they have the back seat to themselves. Does this sound like a good idea?

Rather than use wireless keyboard and mouse, or even wireless 360 controllers, I'm thinking of having USB hubs mounted to the riser, too, since it shouldn't have far to travel from the equipment closet to the riser. I'm getting tired of recharging my 360 controllers, and I like the new black wired controllers. Having USB hubs for my PC, my Xbox 360, and my PS3 seems like it would be pretty slick. The only thing is that it seems really hard to find rugged, attractive USB hubs. Anyone have a line on one?

If possible, I'd also like to use the riser as an acoustic treatment. Does anyone have a reference link for how to best accomplish this?

Also, remind me what heights would be best for the heads to be at for acoustics. Or, if it's easier, what heights should be avoided. As in, should I simply avoid having ears equidistant from the ceiling and the floor? I can't remember the rule.

Thanks, guys. Hopefully I'll be able to post more soon with actual, meaningful changes to my system.

Re: Tactile transducers and seating riser construction
CV #346334 04/27/11 02:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow. Lots of questions there. I have used Aura Bass Shakers in the past, but you are right, there are several options. The Bass Shakers are more of a 1-per-seat type install.

I would look at the specs for the transducers and see what will work as far as load on the amp that you plan on using. You may find that leaving the Butt Kicker on the main couch and putting a different brand either on the chase or under the platform closer to that side may work and be a better match for price and load.

The trick with a chase is that since it is a large piece by itself, putting a Butt Kicker on it in one spot may not provide enough motion by the time it reaches the foot end of it. While not as critical, you don't want it to feel like the epicenter is on your back, and yet the rest of your body doesn't feel nearly as much.

That is where I think that something under the platform could work really well. It would help to distribute the total vibration across a larger surface, regardless of what is on that surface, be it a couch, chase, or folding chair for that matter.

You will lose a bit of vibration strength since you will need to build a beefy riser to support the furniture, but since it will be rigid, the vibrations will be "smoother" across the whole riser.

So if 1 Butt Kicker works for your couch to a level that you like now, then I would think that 2 would work well under your riser. You will just need to "turn them up" a little bit more than you have it now.

If you really want to go with a different brand, I think that i recall Clark (as you mentioned) being one of the first companies that advertised their transducer as being designed for underneath flooring. I just don't know the cost difference there for you.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #346354 04/27/11 04:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I looked at them all before I went back to the ButtKicker.

Auras are toys for people wanting to get something, but can't really afford to invest any money in it.

Clark for some reason targets full frequency range transduction. Look at their frequency response, it goes up to 17kHz. And then there's the power handling, only 135 Watts. That might be fine for turning a floor into a speaker, but to really move the floor ten times that would help.

Crowson might have a neat idea with the linear side-to-side movements generated by a stereo signal. But then it may also be a gimmick with no real benefit. I'll never know because of their prices.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #346371 04/27/11 05:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've actually had great success with the Aura ones. Granted I used them to enhance the experience not as a significant supplement to the LFE experience. In fact, I have 6 of them still in boxes waiting for V4.0 of my theater. :-)

A lot of bang for the buck, but you are right, not the same level (or cost) as the other options.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #346378 04/27/11 06:18 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I'll go ahead and stick with ButtKicker for now, but I may get curious again later on. I'll probably have more questions about the riser once I get closer to actually building it.

CV #346380 04/27/11 06:19 PM
Buttkicker Curious?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #346382 04/27/11 06:43 PM
C
CV Offline OP