Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can you help my problem with speaker please
#428477 01/30/18 08:41 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone. I have a question.

I bought three M22 in-wall speakers from Axiom. These are the speakers that physically go into the wall, and are not mounted on the wall. They worked great for a week or two, until one of the speakers started making a buzzing sound. I told Axiom, and they said that based on my receiver and all the other information I gave them, that it was definitely a problem from the speaker. The buzzing was coming from the bottom port, so they sent me another port to replace it.

Meanwhile, another one of the speakers starts buzzing. Again, from the bottom port. During this time, the new port arrives so I replace one of them and the problem has been fixed. A few days later, the third speaker started making a buzzing sound. So, at this point, all three original speakers have started buzzing. Two of them made the buzzing sound from the bottom ports, while the third speaker is buzzing from the first port.

Does anybody have any ideas? I highly doubt three speakers had a manufacturer defect, so I'm thinking it's a problem within my setup. However, I did replace one of the ports with the new port they sent me, and it has solved them problem -- so far. I don't know if it'll go out, but it looks to be fine since. I want to replace these speakers with on-walls and put the speakers to the side instead of behind the screen. Is there a way of checking if the problem is electrical, or is it definitely a speaker problem?

I don't know if it matters but I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH. The room is roughly 11'x16'.

Where words fail, music speaks
Re: Can you help my problem with speaker please
dustinleland2003 #428478 01/30/18 01:04 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
I think you mean to say bottom driver and not port.

It sounds like Axiom was pretty quick with the troubleshooting so I suspect they knew the driver had a latent defect.

If you have another speaker kicking around somewhere, you could try that to allay your fears about any electrical shenanigans. My bet however is that Axiom knows what they're talking about.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
dustinleland2003 #428483 01/30/18 03:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had a buzzing in my M2's when i got them years ago and axiom sent out a new driver for the Mids. While i was waiting for it to arrive i decided to look into it and i found that the tinnsel lead on the back of the driver was rubbing the cone of the driver ,problem solved.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
dustinleland2003 #428484 01/30/18 03:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Dustin,

As Mojo notes, I'm sure you mean the woofers of the M22s, not the ports.
I suspect you might be overloading the bass drivers of the in-wall M22s by perhaps using the bass boost control on your receiver to boost bass output, or over-driving the system at loudness levels that are beyond the output capabilities of the M22s. I have stand-alone M22s in a room a bit larger than yours, and I run them with an Axiom EP500 subwoofer to handle the bass energy below 80 Hz. Together, they'll play louder than I ever want in my living room.
Are you using a subwoofer? If you like lots of bass, a subwoofer is essential with the M22s. Used without a sub, the M22s have decent bass output to about 40 Hz, and they'll play quite loud, but if you boost the bass output using the bass control on your receiver, it's easy to overdrive the woofers at high volumes.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616