While studying for my own future system and room layout, I am helping a nephew set up his new 5.1 system, Marantz 4500 and all Infinity Primus speakers. I am not sure of the DVD player(which he also uses to play CD's) and he has a new awesome 62" Hitachi TV. I have not set up a system in the last ten years, and the connections seem to have become more numerous/complicated.

For the DVD hook-up to receiver, there seems to be a choice of the 3 connection "component video" or the "S-Video. Which is best??

Same question for the hook up from the Receiver to the TV??

From the DVD player to the receiver, there is an option for a Coaxial or Optical connection. What is this for? Does it replace the audio part of the Component video connection?? Does this connection upgrade the sound?

The receiver only has an RCA output for the subwoofer, cannot use standard wire, is this normal now??

TV cable input....currently is into the TV. How to get the cable surround signals into the receiver? I am not now looking at the TV, would it have an ouput to the reiver, and the receiver an input from the TV??

I know these are basic questions, but I want to get it right. Any other cable/interconnect suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Wayne