I am currently running a 5.1 surround system, using QS4s as the surrounds. Unfortunately, due to a difficult room layout, my QS4s are actually in front of the main listening position by about 18 inches. This speaker placement was suggested by JC during my HT construction, as the radiating nature of the QS4 would help to create an enveloping rear surround field despite the less than optimal position.

Long story short, the surround field is quite diffuse, but there are times that it is obvious that the QS4s are in front of the listener...in other words, the surround does not really wrap around behind the listener.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a single QS4 "behind" the listener. I say "behind" because it will actually be mostly above the listener. Again, because of my difficult room, I do not have a back wall on which to mount a speaker.

So, my idea was to ceiling mount the QS4, pointing it down towards the listening area. The speaker will be just slightly behind the listening position (a few inches, at most), and about 4 feet above the listener's head. I figured that even if I have to turn the level of this speaker way down in my receiver's software, the radiating QS4 would still add a bit of diffuse sound behind the listener.

Any advice or comments about this idea would be greatly appreciated. Is it a bad idea (sound wise) to mount a speaker above the listener's heads, pointing down? Will adding this speaker actually help to accomplish my goal of having sound behind the listener? Should I just suck it up and enjoy my 5.1 surround as it is (which, despite this minor flaw, is pretty darn amazing!). Thanks again for any help you can give!

To make this a little clearer, I will post some pictures of where I would like to mount the speaker this evening after I get home from work.

Last edited by BWeasner; 01/18/10 03:22 PM.