Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I Sold My Thorens Turntable Today
#412893 06/18/15 04:46 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well I finally did it. I sold my Thorens TD-166 MKII with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge. I bought that turntable new back in 1988. I only really ever used to record my records onto cassette taps so I could listen to them the car, or on the boombox. It has been sitting in my HT closet for the past 8 years collecting dust as I never really used it anymore.

Last year our basement flooded and all my albums were ruined with mould. Good thing I wasn't a collector and non of them were worth very much. Most have all been replace on CD or Flac anyways. So that was the last straw that made me sell.

I feel both happy and sad to see this go. It is going to a good home and someone else can enjoy the benefits of this nice piece of audio equipment.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Re: I Sold My Thorens Turntable Today
Worfzara #412894 06/18/15 05:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
paul, I totally get it. We are going in so many directions these days that taking time to put on a record and just sit and listen has become a fantasy. I still play and buy records and have upgraded my turntable but don't listen near as much as I once did. Digital music is so handy, I can play music while wood working or driving etc so convenience is key. But it is still nice to just put on a record and listen all the way through.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Worfzara #412898 06/18/15 07:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I get it as well.

I resurrected a turntable and bought a few new records. It's kinda cool to do but it's just so much easier to touch my tablet screen and have music blaring from my M60s in seconds.

I also have trouble getting past the hisses and pops in even a brand new, first play record. Admittedly, much of that may be from the cheaper cartridge and a room full of dust falling on a turntable with no cover. The record doesn't really have a chance.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Worfzara #412901 06/18/15 10:44 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
You know, I am not afraid to say I like music in digital format. To my ear for the most part it crisp and clean with no noise or the dreaded snap, crackle, and pop.

Like you said it's easy. I used to spend 2 hours making a 90 minute mixed tape for a party, now I can make a play list in about 20 minutes that lasts all night.

People on my deck or living room can't tell wether the source is an MP3, or record or CD, nor do they care.

I still think it has way more to do with the production process in the recording studio than the medium it's distributed on.

Still, sad to see my turntable I had for 27 years leave. But I want a new projector and I am going to put the money towards that. The projector will get a thousand percent more use than the turntable.

Last edited by Worfzara; 06/18/15 10:45 PM.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Murph #412903 06/18/15 11:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Murph
I get it as well.

I resurrected a turntable and bought a few new records. It's kinda cool to do but it's just so much easier to touch my tablet screen and have music blaring from my M60s in seconds.

I also have trouble getting past the hisses and pops in even a brand new, first play record. Admittedly, much of that may be from the cheaper cartridge and a room full of dust falling on a turntable with no cover. The record doesn't really have a chance.

You are correct about the cartridge, a good cartridge makes all the difference. I spent quite a few hours researching record cleaning and then made a home made record cleaner using my little green machine and clean all my records . For being 35 yrs old they sound damn good , but I also spent 600 on a decent cartridge. But it is time consuming and it is a passing phase that I am sure will visit me again come winter.

Just as there are good digital recording there are some really bad ones as well and the Axioms will let you know which is which:) .. But honestly if your not going to use it by all means sell it to someone who will and repurpose the money to something you will use now.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters