#414978 10/14/15 12:02 AM
A
AG90 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
I am new here, so greetings to all forum members! smile

I was watching AHT videos about speakers placement, so I was wondering is my setup at least a little bit good for my situation.

The problem is that the room where I have my Hi-Fi is small, and one of the few options that I had is to put the bookshelf speakers on top of the mounted wall shelf unit. The height is approximately 201 cm (yes, I know it is way above the ear level), but I have them angled with a pair of wooden DIY door wedges, and they are angled quite a bit (around 20-25 degrees). In this way the speakers are firing more or less towards the listening position. I have another option - to put them on a lower shelf, but that would take quite a bit of reworking on a shelf plus I am not quite sure about them being enclosed from all the sides, even if they are not rear ported speakers.

So my question is do you have some advice for me to make this poor soulution a little bit better, or should I leave it like that for now? The speakers that I am talking about are JBL Control One.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Bookshelf speakers height
AG90 #414979 10/14/15 12:27 AM
shareholder in the making
Welcome, "AG"!

My guess is that probably have them in the preferred position, but have you tried temporarily putting them close to the other position? It may not answer whether or not there might be an issue of "boxing them in", but at least you'll know if the height change is worth exploring more options or not!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
AG90 #414982 10/14/15 01:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have mine above ear height in my bedroom and to compensate I turn them upside down. A little tilt will help as well.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MarkSJohnson #414986 10/14/15 01:08 PM
A
AG90 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Welcome, "AG"!

My guess is that probably have them in the preferred position, but have you tried temporarily putting them close to the other position? It may not answer whether or not there might be an issue of "boxing them in", but at least you'll know if the height change is worth exploring more options or not!

I will clean the room tomorrow, and I will try to mess around and put them on lower shelves. I will let you know the outcome smile

Originally Posted By Socketman
I have mine above ear height in my bedroom and to compensate I turn them upside down. A little tilt will help as well.

You mean upside down so that the tweeters are down, but the speakers are still vertical?

AG90 #414995 10/15/15 01:42 AM
AG, welcome to Axiom. In your situation the most important consideration would be to have the tweeters pointed as much as possible toward your ear level. So, your present solution of angling the speakers downward with wedges is likely to work as well as your room will allow.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

AG90 #414999 10/15/15 06:11 PM
A
AG90 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Thanks everyone for their welcomes!

OK, today when I was cleaning up the room and the shelves, me and my girlfriend tried to move them down on the lower shelves. And the sound was "boxed", muddy and not that clear as high above. So I am definitely keeping them up there. Although they are angled quite a bit, hopefully they will not fall down in case of some earthquake or something haha smile

AG90 #415005 10/16/15 12:33 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Putting them in the shelving created a midbass/midrange boost and increased loading issues. Get them on stands and into the room for better results. Buy some M3s here. smile

AAAA #415017 10/16/15 12:17 PM
A
AG90 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
Putting them in the shelving created a midbass/midrange boost and increased loading issues. Get them on stands and into the room for better results. Buy some M3s here. smile

Yes, especially mid-range boost while they were in the shelves.

I will consider the option with the stand in the future too, for now they are doing good on top of the shelves and angled. Thanks!

AG90 #415034 10/17/15 12:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Another vote for upside-down (yes, tweeters down). I spent quite a few years in the same situation, where "on a high shelf" was the only option.

Get them as far away from the wall as possible (even if that only means having the front edge of the speaker an inch or so out from the edge of the shelf), and if you're angling them down try to rig some kind of safety setup so you don't slam a door one day and have one or both slide off onto the floor smile

And welcome !!

EDIT -- hmm, turning them upside down only lowers the tweeters by about 3", so maybe not that important. On the other hand they do seem to be small enough that you have all kinds of mounting options including maybe mounting them under the shelf (depending on whether it's a shelf or a big-ass wall unit).

Last edited by bridgman; 10/17/15 01:02 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #415053 10/17/15 03:08 PM
A
AG90 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Originally Posted By bridgman
Another vote for upside-down (yes, tweeters down). I spent quite a few years in the same situation, where "on a high shelf" was the only option.

Get them as far away from the wall as possible (even if that only means having the front edge of the speaker an inch or so out from the edge of the shelf), and if you're angling them down try to rig some kind of safety setup so you don't slam a door one day and have one or both slide off onto the floor smile

And welcome !!

EDIT -- hmm, turning them upside down only lowers the tweeters by about 3", so maybe not that important. On the other hand they do seem to be small enough that you have all kinds of mounting options including maybe mounting them under the shelf (depending on whether it's a shelf or a big-ass wall unit).

Yup, they are like half an inch from the edge, but they are solid and stable when i try to shake them. Managed to get those wedges beneath so that it keeps them in place without moving and bouncing. Good thing that I have the slide doors so no way to slam them smile

Big ass wall unit it is smile I was considering to mount them underneath one day, but I will see, especially because of aesthetic reasons (they look quite good on top of the shelf plus I have a bad-ass mouflon ram trophy skull between them haha :))

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters