Print Thread
Rate Thread
My Best 2 Channel Amp Elevated
#419293 06/03/16 11:51 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
So, I have been basking in the glory of my favorite 2 channel music system, a 5 watt per channel Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15dt driving a pair of Axiom made (I figure enough time has passed that I can say that straight out) Michaura M66 speakers and Dahlquist 15" subwoofer. (Not the one which emitted acrid white smoke along with prodigious and glorious bass output. I wish I had used a CO2 extinguisher instead of that powder mess)

I improved the sound to a spectacular level by swapping in a pair of Tung Sol 6550s and 12ax7s.

Anyway, glorious good was not good enough. So, I called Tash Goka, from Divergent Technologies and asked him for his recommendation for best tubes for this amp. He said, words to the effect, you already have them. Call Chris VenHaus at V-Cap and get a pair of his output coupling capacitors.

Now, these caps are nose-bleed expensive, but, hey, this is a hobby.

So, I had them cobbled in (they are large) damped with some 3M double sided white foam tape, and lived with them for the past 2 months.

I auditioned them for some of our SoCal jazz audio junkies who to a man thought the amp is now mind blowingly, jaw-droppingly, excellent.

One of our minions just took delivery of a used ASL MG S1 15dt. His is already equipped with a pair of Winged C 6550s. I don't know if he is crazy enough to go with a pair of V-Caps, but it already sounds incredibly good.

We have T.H.E. Show Newport audio show going on starting today. We'll make the rounds this weekend and then compare to our gear. Will be fun.

For those of you who know that tube amps are inferior, we have a group of educated, practiced audio hobbyists, including lawyers, doctors, brokers, engineers, all in this group appreciate solid state gear, but to a man, this bunch, prefers the sound quality of excellent tube preamp and amplification.

Once the cabal is assembled, we'll drag in the M100s and see how they do with the 5 wpc tubie. Too bad, the EP600 will not be here in time for this get together.

Anyway, thank you Tash Goka and Chris VenHaus!!

AND

Oh, BTW, I'm pretty sure that Pierre Sprey's Clearview Mapleshade Double Golden Helix Plus speaker wires contribute to the awesome sound quality of this system.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 06/03/16 11:54 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Re: My Best 2 Channel Amp Elevated
2x6spds #419295 06/04/16 01:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tube rolling can be enlightening but tracking down NOS tubes can be difficult/expensive. I have rolled some tubes into my project tubebox seII which I use with my Project MMF 7.1. I even tried some silicon rubber rings on the tubes but could not hear any difference probly cause my ears are failing. I just bought a house and I will finally be able to set up my Pioneer SA 7800 integrated with my HPM 900's and the TT and relive my teen years smile. I don't buy into the whole cable thing but hey to each his own. I listen to mostly classic rock, metal which doesn't really lend itself to discerning listening. Good to hear your enjoying yourself cause that's what this hobby is all about.

My next expenditure will be Atmos which Emotiva will be adding to the XMC-1 in early 2017 (so they say) we shall see. You only live once so screw what others say or think, cause what they think is none of my business.

Peace

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
2x6spds #419300 06/04/16 02:55 AM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I hate Atmos. Now, I have to redo my HT systems.

I have a Music Hall MMF 7.2 turntable with the mojo cart. I like it!! Someday, I'll swap out the mojo for an ortofon black.

It is a hobby!!

Have a great week end!!!

2x6spds #419301 06/04/16 03:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I also have the mojo cartridge and have looked at the black many times but I am a lowly underpaid mechanic so it will have to wait. William thakker on ebay has about the best prices and I have purchased from him before , good service and fast shipping.

I actually bought my TT based on your enthusiasm for it and it is a really nice deck for the money and the Mojo is super quiet.

As for Atmos , for the cost I sure hope it lives up to the hype but I worry since my 7.1 sounds really great.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
2x6spds #419307 06/04/16 11:55 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
I hate Atmos. Now, I have to redo my HT systems.

I have a Music Hall MMF 7.2 turntable with the mojo cart.

Did I miss something right over my head??

What does Atmos have to do with 2 channel amplification? And how do you get Atmos from a vinyl record? Now I know they did in the past once record quadraphonic onto an album, but i didn't know that Dolby Labs was encoding a form of dolby digital into an analog medium to get the Atmos object based sound.

This has me very intrigued.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
2x6spds #419312 06/04/16 05:01 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have an audio obsession. I have four 2 channel systems, 2 HT systems. The HT systems are candidates for Atmos upgrades.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 06/04/16 05:02 PM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044