Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone in Baltimore/DC willing to let me listen?
#5725 09/13/02 10:24 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi,

I'm really interested in the axiom speakers. My price range is up to $400 for the pair. I am in the Washington DC area. I'm interested in the m22ti and any other axiom under the $400 limit. I've listened to several other bookself's - Wharfendale, Canton, Infinity, and PSB. I like the PSB Image 2B's the most for their detail, neutral sound, and clarity. I am wondering how well the Axiom's will hold up. I am also curious of the bass ports on these speakers. They look like they are lined with foam which seems odd to me. I just got a Yamaha RX-V730 receiver.

If there is anyone who'd be willing to let me listen to their speakers, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
avik

Re: Anyone in Baltimore/DC willing to let me listen?
#5726 09/14/02 01:17 AM
old hand
old hand
avik,
I'm in Manassas, VA, and would be able to help you out.
lando

lando
Re: Anyone in Baltimore/DC willing to let me listen?
#5727 09/18/02 07:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am in Baltimore City (5-10 min from Inner Harbor), but have the M60 towers which were in the $600 range from the factory outlet. The bass ports on the axiom speakers are not foam, they are a hard platic (not sure on the specifics). Let me know if you are interested in checking out the M60s.

Re: Anyone in Baltimore/DC willing to let me liste
#5728 09/19/02 06:33 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi!

I might want to take you up on that offer. I'm going out to Virginia to hear a set of M3's first which is among the ones I was thinking about. The other was the M22ti. I think the M60 may be out of my ranged (more than $400 for the pair). I will let you know after tomorrow.

Thanks!
avik

#5729 09/20/02 06:42 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
The M3's are nice (and small). I originally had them but sent them back. I was not able to get a good sound in the low-end with a sub (the room I am in is all knotty-pine and bass tends to get boomy very quickly) and opted for a the M60s as a way to have a nice set of full range speakers.

#5730 09/21/02 06:59 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi!

I listened to the M3's yesterday and I was amazed how good and clean they sound. The M3's definitely have a sparkle to them but they are not as forward sounding as I have been led to believe.

I am trying to decide between PSB Image 2B's vs. Axiom vs. Athena Technologies Audition AS-FS2's.

The PSB Image 2Bs still sound the most neutral to me and a bit more detailed. I have not yet had a chance to listen to the Athena's and I can't seem to find any reviews for them. What I really wonder though is how the Axiom M22's stack up compared to the 2Bs. They are the same price and thus the same competition. I've heard many people rave how detailed the M22's are, but I haven't been able to find any to listen to.

I misread your post and thought you paid $800 for the M60s. For $600, though, it might be possible for me to get a set. How do you order them from the Factory Outlet? Do you have to go up to Canada or is there a way to order them here in the US?

I do want to take you up on your listening offer. How neutral and detailed is the sound? For me, the most important attributes I am looking for is a clean revealing neutral detailed sound. From my listening background, I've always been impressed by how revealing the B&W 800 series speakers (like the 801 and 802) and the Quads sound. If I had several thousand to spend, I'd get a set of 801's ;-) That B&W / Quad sound is what I am using as a reference for what I believe an awesome speaker should sound like.

My interest is in listening to good recorded music. I'm not looking to build a Home Theatre system - at least not yet ;-)

Your thoughts please :-)

#5731 09/23/02 07:49 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am not able to comment on the how the M60s compare to some of the B&W and PSB models. I have heard some B&W in showroom settings and they did sound incredible. The electronics powering the speakers was much better than what I have so a comparison in this instance is next to impossible (I am trying to budget a new receiver and am currently using a low end pioneer surround sound reciever). Perhaps some others on this board who have done in-home trials with some B&W and PSB can comment.

I can tell you how the M60s sound compared to the M3s. VERY, VERY OPEN. The amount of space in the presentation of the music is what really caught me. At any point in most (if not all) music that I listen to, I can focus and hear cleanly one particular instrument or another. The detail I have heard in the high end makes it possible to hear the brush strokes on a snare really pop out compared to many speakers. Keep in mind that I am not coming from an audiophile background, but have spent considerable time in the studio recording and listening. I really like these speakers even though they are a little large for the room they are in currently.
I did purchase from the Axiom Factory Outlet, although I believe the price on the M60 FO did jump up a little since I purchased mine.
The only concern if you are not satisfied with a speaker purchase from axiom is return shipping. You may want to check with Aimee or someone else on the 800 number and see if they can estimate a return shipping cost on the M22s.
If you would like to come hear the M60s send me a PM and we can work out the details.
Hope this helps.

#5732 09/23/02 08:28 PM
veteran
veteran
AVIKONEN

I remember Future Shop, if you are in Canada, selling the Athena line of speakers if you want to hear them. They are very good, very inexpensive speakers. An excellent choice for someone on a tight budget

#5733 09/24/02 02:55 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for this info. After hearing the M3's and then hearing the rave reviews for the M60's. I'm definitely interested! :-) I am going out of town this week. The 1st week of October is better for me. Are you going to be in town? I'll be PM'ing you soon.

Thanks!

#5734 09/24/02 03:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
From my auditioning months ago, the Axiom M22s were far more detailed than the PSBs referred to here. A much better speaker in my opinion.

Overall i found that B&W gave the Axioms a run for quality sound but not for the price the B&W were going to cost (more than Axiom).

General cost of returning the M22s set me back $25Cdn which included $500 insurance via CanPost regular parcel.

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/24/02 03:56 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020