Print Thread
Rate Thread
m80ti help
#9875 04/08/03 10:36 PM
L
Lumen_S Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Upon discovering Axiom speakers, i was immeadiatly enthralled with the m80ti speakers... I have read many positive reviews about them, and I am seriously considering purchasing them for my new apartment at college at the end of the summer. I have a few questions though:
Is my receiver (RCA STAV-3880 100Watts/channel, and 5 channels) enough to power these? If not, can you recommend another one for me?

Also, the room I will be using these in is medium sized: roughly 14x18. Is this size right for these speakers (I am kind of a newbie at home theater).

What surrounds match best with these speakers? Would you recommend a center channel, or do the m80s create a good soundstage on their own?

I like my music LOUD and thats why I was concidering the m80s over the m60s... Ive read the midrange is better in the m80s at high volumes.

Also, I will only be in this apartment for 2 years, and I plan on owning the speakers for much longer.

Further more, my budget is definetly a concern. I am stretching it to consider the m80s. As I said though, they look to be awesome

PLEASE, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lumen

Re: m80ti help
#9876 04/08/03 10:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Lumen,

Regarding the power requirment, I just posted some "calculations" here.

As a recent buyer, I can wholeheartedly recommend the QS8's. They are awesome surrounds. If your budget is limited, you may skip the center speaker for the time being, using the phantom center mode.

Re: m80ti help
#9877 04/08/03 11:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Is my receiver (RCA STAV-3880 100Watts/channel, and 5 channels) enough to power these?

It's enough power. The only concern is that the receiver's internal protection circuitry may trip as it is a 4 Ohm speaker. Check your manual or call the manufacturer.

In reply to:

Also, the room I will be using these in is medium sized: roughly 14x18. Is this size right for these speakers (I am kind of a newbie at home theater).

To be honest, they do like a little room to play. I don't think they'd sound bad, per se, but maybe a bit over kill in a room so small. Then again, you don't plan on living there for long. I'd personally buy what you want as you will indeed have the chance to plan for a larger room in the future.

In reply to:

What surrounds match best with these speakers?

QS8

In reply to:

Would you recommend a center channel, or do the m80s create a good soundstage on their own?

The lion's share of the movie exists on the center speaker. While phantom speaker setups work, they don't lock the dialogue to the screen well, in most cases, for me.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044