Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Building a Bottlehead?
#87453 03/28/05 09:35 PM
j0shbd Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ok, I think I'm ready to make the leap to a tube amp. But, the obvious question is what company will be the lucky receipient of my budgeted $1000ish.

I have learned through years of experience to stop licking 9V batteries, so I figured I may have the technical know-how to get a DIY kit, specifically the Bottlehead Paramours.

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Paramour/paramour.htm

I've read some pretty good reviews, but I'd definitely like to get a few more opinions. For instance, is 3.5watts really enough power for a pair of M3's?

Also, seeing as I currently have Parasound separates (pld-1500 & hca-750), I was planning to use my current preamp with a tube power amp.

This leads me to my second question: How much difference does a tube amp vs. tube preamp vs. integrated make over solid state? Would it make more sense to get a tube preamp instead and use my current 75wx2 Parasound? Or, maybe get the Bottlehead preamp kit also? Etc....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Josh

Re: Building a Bottlehead?
#87454 03/28/05 10:12 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
our 2 resident "tubeheads" are 2x6, and haoleboy.. so, hopefully they get in here soon, and give you some 'sound' advice.. Sound advice.. ah, i crack myself up..

good luck

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#87455 03/28/05 11:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
5 wpc were plenty for my M3s, 3.5 watts is in the flea power range. If you're ready to drop a grand, why not pick up an ASL MG S1 15DT or PrimaLuna integrated amp? The former will give you 5 watts of SET gold, and the PrimaLuna is rated at 30 wpc, I think. Although the first watt is the most important (if the first watt isn't good, who cares how many more like it are lined up behind it?) you want a bit of headroom, don'cha?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#87456 03/28/05 11:20 PM
devotee
devotee
I am far from an expert in tubes but have had heard great things with the SP3 unit:

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=processors&brand=33

I have the larger H34 and love the tube sound.

#87457 03/28/05 11:23 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

The Feb. issue of Stereophile has a nice write up on the PrimaLuna integrated amp.It is 35 wpc and auto biasing.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#87458 03/28/05 11:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bottleheads have a great reputation for excellent sound quality.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#87459 03/29/05 01:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I cant answer any of your questions, but i will say that the bottlehead kits are very well laid out with good instructions and alot of great people backing them. Not only from the company but also the forum members. I built the foreplay kit and am very pleased with it.

#87460 03/29/05 02:00 AM
j0shbd Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks for the input!

I've actually been keeping an eye on both audiogon and ebay for a used PrimaLuna or ASL. I've read the review in Stereophile for the PrimaLuna, it looks like a very nice amp. Also, I was looking at the little Wave 8 monos for a while, but they go for over $300 on ebay!! Thats half again more than they cost new, and I just can't justify that.

Besides, if I'm going to drop $1000 on a NEW amp. What do you think of the new ASL AQ 1003DT? I kinda of like having the remote, it makes life just a little bit easier. I don't have to go through all that extra effort of "standing up" or actually "walking two steps." Besides, the remote is wooden which is rather unecessary, but still kinda cool. Although, the MG SI 15 DT, does have a remote too. So, for only an extra $100 bucks I get 30W instead of 5W. We shall see.........

These are all good thoughts, thanks for your help.

But, can anyone give me an idea of the effect of a tube preamp vs tube amp in combination with solid state? Which makes more of a difference, if that's even a fair question?

-Josh

#87461 03/29/05 04:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I actually enjoy a solid state pre with tube amplification. You get to hear what the tube amp can do. Although having a tube pre gives you more flexibility if you want to "tweak" the sound with different tubes. There is lots of affordable solid state pre with higher gain for cheaper pricing than tube pre's in the same price range.
When your running lower power amps that extra gain is needed.
Stick to 2x6 suggestion of getting a SET tube amp rather than higher power Push Pull. The SET maybe lower power but the midrange is sweet and detailed. You lose a little of the top and low range. The Push Pull amps maybe more powerful for the price but you sacrifice some midrange but get a bigger range.
I currently run a Radii GS-33SE monoblock amps
http://www.spacelofts.com/h30/radii.jpg
http://www.radaudio.com/gs33.html
They power by 90db 4ohm speakers to my loud listening level of 80+db using a passive preamp. I plan to get a solid state pre-amp with higher gain.

http://thetunerguy.com/new_radii.html
http://www.radaudio.com/power.html

The north american distributor informed me that Radii comes out of the same factory in china as Antique Sound Lab. One nice thing about Radii is that most of their amps/pre "supposedly" come out with Black Gate capacitors and Alps controllers. Some Radii models are similar to ASL models. Radii is pretty new.

#87462 03/29/05 04:42 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Josh, tubes represent an obsolescent technology, as least for use in home audio. Although with careful design tube equipment can be made to be as transparent as solid-state equipment(there's not necessarily any "tube sound", as shown by blind tests), in general solid state is better in every way and less expensive. Although we sometimes have a fascination with the old, usually practicality prevails(e.g. most people drive cars instead of horse and buggies)and we appreciate advancements in technology.

Having said that, if you really want to buy some tube equipment, it would be more sensible to use a tube preamp with your present or other solid-state amp. The advantages of solid-state apply more significantly to power amplifiers. Although the phrase sometimes heard of a tube preamp and solid-state amp being "the best of both worlds" may be only wishful thinking, it's better than the opposite course.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082