Rate Thread
Music Corner: Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishman
#114933 11/04/05 02:14 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Mini review

Once again the record labels are trying to figure out new ways to separate us from our hard earned cash. One of the more recent things I have seen is the expanded "Deluxe Editions" many of them being pushed as "anniversary", "complete", or "bonus disc of previously unreleased material" among other hooks.
A few weeks ago I took the bait on the Eric Clapton Deluxe Edition of 461 Ocean Blvd. The bonus disc was of a concert recorded live at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1974. Now I say took the bait but let me make it perfectly clear I am very satisfied with my purchase as a matter of fact it has peaked my curiosity as to what other cd’s have been released or are planned for release. Well yesterday I happened across another CD that has received the “Duluxe” treatment.

I picked up the Joe Cocker “Mad Dogs and Englishmen” CD. In addition to the material that had been released originally, the concert has been expanded to what's claimed to be complete length. Additional tracks include The Weight, Something, Darling Be Home Soon, and With a Little Help From My Friends by Cocker; Let It Be by Claudia Lennear, Hummingbird and Dixie Lullaby by Leon Russell and Further On Up the Road performed by Don Preston. They have also added 4 tracks of studio session cut for singles to promote the tour.

First the performance:

This was a band that was literally thrown together in a couple of days specifically for a tour of the U.S. Once they got the members together there was 4 12 hour days of rehearsal time before opening night. The performances are great. Cocker , Russell and the others are all in good voice. The energy and excitement of the “moment” is palpable not only in Cocker and Russell but in the band as a whole.

The sound quality is for the most part very good. The solo instruments and lead vocals and the vocals of the choir are very clear and discernable. I can’t quite put my finger on it but there are areas of the recording that sound somewhat compressed. My audiophile buddy says it is to soften the clipping. I don’t know about these things so I just nod. But some sections where the whole band is just ripping, the sound gets a little wooly. Not bad though, because when the solos or voices come back in it is amazingly clear for a live recording of that era. After the tour they all disbanded and went on to other projects. One thing is for sure. This recording catapulted Cocker to the top of the charts and put him on the map. It also showcased Leon Russell very nicely and help push his career along as well. Joe cocker never before and never since had the backing of such a tight unit as we hear in Mad Dogs and Englishman.
This is an essential piece of rock and roll history. Buy it you won’t be sorry.

Of course this is just IMHO.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
Re: Music Corner: Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishman
#114934 11/04/05 03:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with everything you have to say about this album, Oz. Back in my disc jockey days this album was a staple. So many great tunes, and great performances. I still get chills just thinking about Delta Lady.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Music Corner: Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishm
#114935 11/04/05 03:56 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Yeah my buddies and I wore out several copies of that on vinyl. I remember cruisiing around the neighborhood with that playing through fuzzy speakers and 8 track. It was a nice contrast listening to this new remastered version after all these years and through the Axioms to boot. If you haven't listened in a while, give it a go. It definitely stands the test of time.
oz

Re: Music Corner: Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishman
#114936 11/04/05 03:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi oz350z,

I agree--The Joe Cocker "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour is one of the classic rock albums of all time. Leon Russell's arrangements with the band and Cocker stand up to repeated listening for decades.

Sound quality? "Wooly" "compressed"? I'll say! I have more "remastered" versions of this--half-speed, etc.--on vinyl, then on CD. None of it helped. It's really grotty sound, but the music and performances are so great that they override considerations of sound quality.

The sound for that album, like the sound for "The Last Waltz", was recorded on portable analog Nagra recorders for double system filming, and by comparison to modern digital gear, it's really compressed and distorted. "Waltz" is technically better than "Mad Dogs," but not by a whole lot.

Perhaps with tricks of digital noise reduction the version you have has been improved. I'll have to check it out.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
How about Traffic's "Welcome to the Canteen"?
#114937 11/04/05 04:46 PM
devotee
devotee
I'm a huge Traffic fan, and just love this live album, umm, CD. Whatever (have it in multiple formats). Anyhow, this is another one where the original recording quality is clearly compromised. Has anyone heard a remastered version that sounds any better? As the home system improves, it gets harder and harder to listen to.

Thanks!
Rich

#114938 11/04/05 05:50 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I have the original vinyl version as well. I have always been a Joe Cocker fan. I purchased the album for that reason. I did enjoy it back in the day, but something always bothered me about Leon's voice. I guess I'm one of the few that find him difficult to listen to. It's like fingernails on a blackboard.

#114939 11/04/05 06:41 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

The sound for that album, like the sound for "The Last Waltz", was recorded on portable analog Nagra recorders for double system filming, and by comparison to modern digital gear, it's really compressed and distorted. "Waltz" is technically better than "Mad Dogs," but not by a whole lot.

Allen
Thanks the information on Nagra mobile recording. I had no idea. You also mention one of my all time favorites, The Last Waltz. I have the DVD on that and I would have to say that the sound quality on that is heads and tails above the Mad Dogs CD. I'm not sure if that is just because of DTS or not?

I have not heard the silver MOFI version of Mad Dogs so I have little reference other than memory. I have never heard any of the other cd versions either. The thing with the new version is all the previously unreleased material. I can't imagine the silver MOFI version being a whole lot better than this but not sure. At any rate the unreleased material is definitely worth it. On the other hand the whole thing is also coming out on DVD so you might want to wait for that release instead. I also mis-spoke on all the singers being in good voice. Rita Coolidge is as flat as ever but I'm always inclined to cut the Delta Lady some slack because she was just so damn hot.
oz

#114940 11/04/05 07:00 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

something always bothered me about Leon's voice

Bruce
These are the high points for me. I love Leon's vocals even more than Joe's and that's saying something. I don't know what it's saying, but it's saying something isn't it? I am currently searching out some good Leon Russell if anybody has some suggestions I'm all ears. I have read that the double CD Gimme Shelter is the one to own any comments?
oz

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020