Print Thread
Rate Thread
My Review on my M3V3 purchase
#329264 11/22/10 03:02 PM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
The M3v3 is a marvelous speaker first for its size, a large sound something I would have expected from a large speaker like by Def Tec BP6Bs... it really dominates with its output, (like some short people do) but it retains its decency.

It does give clear sound without any sort of confusion which I think the BP6Bs do. Not sure if it is completely articulate but getting there at times... I feel that this speaker will be superb for simple instrumental compositions, rather than multiple instruments fighting to be heard... sort of like the cast of the magnificent seven... vocals are clear but I do miss the presense of the centre channel in simulated surround sound... I guess I have to sacrifice that.

Would love to hear this with a dedicated stereo setup... am working on it.

It is a pleasure to rediscover music with these speakers, I guess any audio component would go through the same grilling.

This speaker has reawakened the audiophile cravings in me...my credit card is ready to start a new recession.

Was impressed with the magnetic clipping front grilles, something I've never seen before.

Bit puzzled with the spanners and DIY hardware tools which came with it...not sure if they are necessary...but a good thought... feels slightly ameri... north amer... Gran Torino.

The item which disappointed me was the banana plugs - you require well terminated spade lugs to hide the bare wire something which audio accessory company Van Den Hul does very well. I think its important because I have seen exposed ends ( even silver coated ones) getting oxidised and browned...I'm sure the copper cable does not want a tan.

Was impressed with the delivery service - FedEx - I'm gonna watch Castaway tonight, and probably dream about being lost in a island, taking to two axioms for company , or one, whichever makes it...

I don't want to fully compare the M3s with Def tech's BP6bs, in my opnion the M3s are right now not currently setup for comparison, they were bought to add a dedicated stereo to my bedroom. Will presently use the def techs in my living room HT setup. Need to listed to M3s for a while and then compare it later with the BP6Bs.

Stereo and simulated surround have their respective advantages and disadvantages, which I hope most people understand or discover.

One thing that sucks is the axiom logo on the front.. makes it look crap and tacky... change it please.. add the name Ian Colquhoun to the logo... borrow the idea from Martin Logan.. or maybe not...

They are tremendous for the factory outlet price (minus shipping and duty costs which I had to suffer)... beam me for less Scotty.

Well that's it.. but before I go I must recommend others to place these speakers on stands rather than wall brackets or on bookshelfs... the port on the back needs to stay away from the wall or inches from a shelf's edge.

Clovis de Cruz
Re: My Review on my M3V3 purchase
Clovis #329299 11/22/10 07:04 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Glad you are enjoying them.

As far as your comment on the speaker wire issue, if you use oxygen free copper the wire will not oxidize unlike silver( which oxidizes very easily) coated wires or regular copper wires.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #329307 11/22/10 07:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oxygen free copper ceases to be oxygen free as soon as it is exposed to the atmosphere.

I prefer to use bare wire instead of bananas, in this case the little wrench is nice. I just really snug the binding posts down on the wire. To the point where is almost becomes a cold weld.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #329312 11/22/10 07:39 PM
J
J
Yet it seems to take longer to oxidize the wire that states ~99% oxygen free than regular zip cord. I have some of Axiom's speaker wire and some wire I bought from Home Depot, the Home depot wire already has a bit of oxidization while the Axiom wire is still bright and shiny, both were bought at the same time.

I guess this difference could be due to the insulation surrounding the wire rather than the wire itself much like some old wire I have turned green almost instantly and it was determined the insulation they used on the product at the time was causing this. Home Depot had this same problem with some of their wire a number of years ago as well.

I too use bare wire and use that little wrench to really snug down the binding posts.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #329314 11/22/10 07:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, there was some cabling made with PVC insulation that leached out the 'C' and corroded the wire before it was even used.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Clovis #329471 11/24/10 03:09 PM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
There's something else I want to add to the review - based on the specifications and on listening the M3s are very power efficient speakers, they require less power for reasonable audio loudness compared to the BP6Bs. So I don't see power being a factor to drive these babies...

Clovis de Cruz

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters