This is definitely a non-Axiom post... but I posted a question a while back regarding the Tivoli radios, designed by the late great Henry Kloss. In a word, my review is "unbelievable."

It's a pricey item, the Model 3 radio (which includes a clock w/ alarm). I have to say, though, I have not seen craftmanship like this in a new, modern item. The cabinet is real wood, heavily polished with a gorgeous grain to it. every knob feels "heavy" - there's resistance, but it's just there to make you choose correctly.

It is, though, just a small clock radio. Mono, at that. I have to say, for mono, it fills a room really well. The room it's playing in now is something like 30'x15'x18' - a pretty large room. It is currently playing with the companion speaker, to make it stereo - but honestly, I don't know if it's worth it. It does add a bit more volume and stereo spaciousness, but the little mono radio is so damn good, it's hard to accept any improvements.

Now - this isn't a true bedroom audio system - but if you don't have any audio at all in your bedroom, and would like an easy, simple clock radio - this item is the best. Sure, the low end is not there, but the mid-low is surprisingly full. The high end is definitely rolled off, but I think it makes it a pleasant and "calm" thing to listen to. My favorite bit is the alarm setting, which is set like an egg timer. I am so fed up with the complicated button-mashing of my current clock radio - this one just seems to make sense. I could work this drunk or half asleep with ease. How many modern-day products can you say that about?

I could fall asleep and awake to this thing every night and never think I'm missing out on the music. Well, I like to wake to talk radio - but this thing does that better than ANYTHING I've heard - including axioms!

It really is a remarkable item - worth it's high price. It's something you will have with you for dozens of years - and I wouldn't be surprised if they become collectors items someday, like the famous Kloss Model 8.