Print Thread
Rate Thread
My first question ??
#29058 12/29/03 02:12 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi Folks,

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas !! I received my AXIOM 60's and my Yamaha V-2400 on Christmas Eve. Fed X attempted to drop off my HSU sub but went to my neighbors house instead of mine and delivery will be attempted on Monday (Darn-it, would have loved to have my sub also over the Christmas break...). Oh well..

Let me start off that the Axioms were packed like a freight train as they needed to be because the outer box was damaged by Fed X as others have stated. Once out of the boxes, the speakers are just beautiful. The Yamaha was also a pleasant surprise. It looks fantastic and loaded with features. The set-up appears to be very easy except for a couple of questions I have. This is my very first HT set-up.

Onto the questions...Did I over set-up cable wise ?? I tried to follow the Yamaha guide to a tee and am having a problem with the DVD player. Movies and the screen that says DVD which is usually blue is black and white ?

Here is how I set up the system:

1. I have Direct TV that was hooked up to my TV by Direct TV several years ago. I did not touch it. It has all the cabels that "screw" onto the TV etc. I also did not touch the VCR. I hardly ever use it. Only tape once in awhile if there is something of interest "auto related" on Autoweek.
Summary:Direct TV basic connection and VCR not touched and still working fine.

2. My hook-ups: Front speakers only-No explanation required and sub on Monday. No issues with speakers.

3. DVD player. This is where I am having a problem.
a. Optical out of the DVD player to the DVD optical slot on my Yamaha receiver (this is the cable lit red but you know that). What does this cable do ??
b. audio out cables from DVD player to DVD audio connections on receiver.
c. S-video cable from DVD player to S-video connection on receiver (connected to the correct S-video on receiver per diagram in manual).
d. Component Video cables from Monitor out on receiver to Video in on TV.

4. Direct TV.
a. Just two Audio out cables on Direct TV box to the CBL/SAT audio location on receiver for sound.

So the deal is does this sound all ok ?? If I plug my S-Video cable from my DVD player to receiver like manual states, picture is black and white. If I connect S-video directly to TV from DVD player pictures is living color ?? If I connect directly to TV, I lose my on screen features when using DVD player like volume adjustment, changing to different listening modes etc. I can still see them on the receiver but prefer on screen. Why is picture black and white when S-Video is connected to receiver ?? Sound is good from all hook-ups and is not an issue. All cables are Monster.

More questions to come I am sure !! But need help with this first. The speakers do sound great !! Need my sub and the rest of the system soon !! Oh, the receiver did shut off a couple of times when turned sort of loud but this surprised me ?

Sorry for the long post..
-Rick

Re: My first question ??
#29059 12/29/03 05:06 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Check the tightness and matching of the component cables.

Your receiver shouldn't be shutting off at loud volumes. This could mean one of a few things. It may be clipping, which seems unlikely with the M60s (as opposed to 4-ohm speakers which are hard for many receivers to drive). You may have a defective unit, but I'd check the manual for other obvious causes.

#29060 12/29/03 07:42 AM
devotee
devotee
i connected my dvd player with an RCA cable straight to the TV and hooked up the DVD Audio signals to the reciever. This might fix the problem

how did you connect your dvd to your tv before you got a reciever?
Are you having audio and video problems or just video problems?

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#29061 12/29/03 06:11 PM
devotee
devotee
You should connect your DVD player to your receiver using component video, not s-video. Keep the receiver out to the TV as component. That will likely solve your problem.

Optical cable is to send digital sound from the DVD player to the reciever. Becuase you do not currently have surround sound, you will not be able to truly appreciate 5.1 Dolby and DTS.

#29062 12/29/03 06:14 PM
devotee
devotee
Also, if your direct TV box has either S-video or component outs it will look better than with the coaxial (screw) cable you are currently using. Also, your DirectTV box may have optical out for DD sound. You can hook up the Direct TV box just like your DVD player.

#29063 12/30/03 01:03 AM
Vetteluver -

Make sure your video conversion is turned ON - see page 56 in your manual. I also agree with directly connecting your DVD to your TV. I have an identical system except I have an SVS - the PB-2+. Hope this helps.

#29064 12/30/03 01:16 AM
Sorry - I just re-read your post ...

You don't need to connect BOTH the audio out and optical cable. Use the optical only. (Your items a and b)

My previous post assumes you are attempting to convert from S-video to component because you do not have a component out option for your DVD player - if that's what you are trying to do, look at page 56 of your manual. If you do have component out from your DVD player, do not connect the S-video, connect only the component cables.

You must be playing really loud for the receiver to turn off. I can play mine extremely loud and have never had it turn off.

One thing I did find, YAPO didn't do as good a job as I had hoped for - I did a manual setup instead.

Again, hope this helps.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters