Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wiring Apartment: Sound, Network and Maybe Video
#59364 09/01/04 07:47 PM
Saint Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm moving into a new condo I just put a deposit down on today. It's about 900 sq. feet, bedroom, L-Shape livingroom/diningroom, and kitchen.

I want to wire it up, naturally, as it's going to be repainted and worked on anyway.

Currently only have 5.1, but want 7.1 in the future. So naturally should I have the wiring run NOW?

Also how should I have them ended? My surrounds are QS-8s, should I have just bare wire from the walls, is there a point in getting the Axiom wall mounts or just sitck with the standard ones?

What should I end the unused 7.1 surrounds with, binding posts on the wall? Won't it look dumb?

Anything else I should consider?

------- Saint Harman Kardon AVR-120,Axiom VP100,Axiom M22Ti, Axiom QS8, Axiom EP-175
Re: Wiring Apartment: Sound, Network and Maybe Video
#59365 09/01/04 08:29 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ola saint, congrats on your new domicile.

OK, i will answer your questions in ordr to the best of my ability.

YES, if you plan on having 7.1 in this condo in the near future, go ahead and run the wire now. it will make the addition of the new speakers very easy. just mount and go.depending on the lengths of the wire run, any good 14 gauge will do fine with runs under 35 feet. thats just ballpark. if you are really concerned about it, use 12 gauge.

as far as mounting, if you use the T bracket included with the QS8's, there is VERY little space to use banana plugs. most(including me) just stick the wire in the hole. it works fine for me. the full metal brackets that axiom sells allow for the speaker to be away from the wall(so you can use the banana plugs), and it allows for you to position the speaker more accurately.. you can lean it up, or down, or angle it left or right, etc.. just more versatile than flat against the wall.. but, flat is OK to.

and as far as the unused wire on the 7.1's, if you are going to run the wires thru the wall, just leave them in the wall and put a small plug in the hole.. then when you install the speakers, pull the plug, and pull the wires out. or put a picture over the holes? use your imagination. a lot will depend on what the wife/girlfriend will allow.

hope i helped, probably not.. make sure and send some pics of the new place with your system.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#59366 09/02/04 02:29 AM
Saint Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks man!

So the OTHER end of the cables...I assume I should end these in binding post type wall jacks?

I also want to run potentially s-video from one room to another, as well Stereo and potentially digital (coaxial) which would be easy as it's a single rcA...

Any other suggestions?

------- Saint Harman Kardon AVR-120,Axiom VP100,Axiom M22Ti, Axiom QS8, Axiom EP-175
#59367 09/02/04 07:29 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
being that you are still talking about wiring in general, it is definitely a 'no-brainer' to go ahead and pre-wire as much as you can. regardless of what kind of wire(speaker, rca's, s-video, digital, etc.). especially if you plan on putting your equip rack at a neutral location, meaning away from your main tv and speaker wall..

bonus being, if you are gonna want to paint and do other various home/condo improvement kinda stuff.. you can go ahead and run all the wiring you need, and then cover it and paint it and never see it again. if i would have known how my HT set-up was gonna be when i was doing fixer-up kinda stuff, i would have run it for sure. hind sight is 20/20!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020