Rate Thread
speaker selection and room volume
#195546 02/08/08 10:21 PM
O
buff
OP Offline
buff
O
I need some suggestions from experienced axiom owners on speaker selection for a strange layout. I figure about 60% music and 40% HT usage. I would like to keep the price under $2500.

I don't have room for a dedicated home theater. The HT setup is relegated to one side of the living room. The TV is in a corner with the furniture arranged to create a 12x12ft area for HT usage. However, this is in a 26x15.5x9 room (3627cu ft). Also, the end of the room opposite the TV has two 5ftx7ft openings into the dining room which then has a 10ftx7ft opening to the kitchen.

I want something big enough to carry two channel music through this main part of the house but small enough for HT in the small viewing area. The mains will be on the side of the TV so they will be fairly close to the walls.

My original idea was M60 mains, VP150 center, Qs8 surrounds, and EP350 sub. The Axiom wizard keeps recommending the EP500, I assume because of the size of the room. However, that is one expensive upgrade. I could upgrade to the M80's (with the EP350) for less than the EP500 (with the M60's). Would the M80's be too much for HT use in this small area? Would I have problems placing them close to the walls due to being ported? This is one reason I never cared for ported speakers. Is the 350 sufficient? Would I be better off going with a bookshelf system and getting separate speakers for the dining room (which I could always do later even with floorstanding mains)?

Sorry for all the questions but speakers are a sizable investment and I would like to do it right the first time. All constructive suggestions are appreciated.

Re: speaker selection and room volume
OhioKyle #195550 02/09/08 12:34 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey Kyle, Welcome.

You only want "constructive" suggestions? You may have come to the wrong place. \:\)

Good questions.

Quote:
My original idea was M60 mains, VP150 center, Qs8 surrounds, and EP350 sub.

That sounds pretty good to me. You might even consider the VP100 center. Considering how close you are, plus the fact that you're really only getting direct (not reflected) sound from the center, you could save a little coin there.

Quote:
The Axiom wizard keeps recommending the EP500, I assume because of the size of the room. However, that is one expensive upgrade. I could upgrade to the M80's (with the EP350) for less than the EP500 (with the M60's).

Yes, your main room is big, and the overall volume of the adjoining rooms makes a big difference for the sub, too. There's no question that the EP500 is a tremendous subwoofer. Please keep in mind that you can always upgrade within the 30 day tryout period, usually without any financial penalty. i.e. if you get the EP350 and are not satisfied, you can probably upgrade to the EP500 by paying the difference and I'll bet Axiom would even spring for the shipping.

Quote:
Would the M80's be too much for HT use in this small area?

Well, there's really no such thing as "too much". However, you should keep in mind that the M80's are wicked deep speakers (dimensionally, in addition to performance). I can't tell if you are putting the mains on an angle or what, but that extra few inches of depth might make your placement less flexible. And placement can make a pretty huge difference.

Also, getting the M80's is not going to mitigate your need for a good subwoofer, especially for HT.

Quote:
Would I have problems placing them close to the walls due to being ported? This is one reason I never cared for ported speakers.

All the Axiom mains have ports. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you can get a few inches of clearance behind them, you'll be fine.

Quote:
Is the 350 sufficient?

Only one way to find out. I don't know what your frame of reference is. It might be completely satisfactory.

Quote:
Would I be better off going with a bookshelf system and getting separate speakers for the dining room (which I could always do later even with floorstanding mains)?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the M60 solution. They're wonderful speakers, and don't really cost much more than M22's + stands. Even though your listening position is close to the display and the mains, that is really a pretty big room, even without the dining room.

Also, remember that the Axiom Factory Outlet (see link on store page) saves you 10%. Many people (including me) have received virtually flawless speakers from the FO.

Good luck. Enjoy the journey.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
OhioKyle #195651 02/10/08 03:28 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Kyle, another welcome. If you're thinking of relatively casual background music listening for the dining area(while dining?)I don't think that it would be necessary to consider placing separate speakers there. The M60s should be excellent for your main listening area and provide a nice background in the dining area.

As to the sub, while I have and strongly endorse the EP500, I rather doubt that you'd be dissatisfied with the new EP350 and the budget consideration that you mentioned would suggest that you at least try it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #195704 02/10/08 05:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
also, if you puchase through the factory outlet you can save an extra 10% on your purchase.

-David

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters