Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Receivers
#7583 01/02/03 09:41 PM
duffin Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I need a receiver. Actually, I also need speakers, but assuming I go with the Axioms...

I'm looking at the Sony DA1ES. I also like the standard products from Onkyo, and Denon, but at the price point (about $500 US), I'm not interested in paying for 6 or 7 channels of processing and (lower wattage) amplification, I'd rather spend it on quality for basic 5.1 operation. Actually, what I really am looking for is an outstanding stereo receiver that also happens to do Dolby Digital and DTS.

Anyone running a Sony DA(x)ES receiver or have any other thoughts on this?

pd

Re: New Receivers
#7584 01/02/03 11:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
If you want quality, Sony is the LAST place to go. They make crap and nothing but crap outside of their ES line. I've dealt with Sony's service department FAR too much to EVER give them a dime again. Almost everything I've ever bought from them has failed. The sound quality is crap and they only survive due to their name and superior marketing.

Do NOT be suckered into the Circuit City sales technique of convincing you higher rated power means a better receiver. With many of the major label electronics companies, they are actually spec'ing peak power, and not RMS. RMS is the average power output of the receiver which is significantly lower a number (equal to the integral of the power waveform over its period, divided by that period). Furthermore, those that do spec RMS WAY over quote their capability.

Kenwood makes a nice receiver or two in that price range. Denon, Onkyo and Marantz all have significantly better receivers in that price range as well. Unless you have a large home theater room (Cathedral large...) I doubt any of these would suffer from too little power for you.

#7585 01/02/03 11:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I forgot to mention Yamaha.

#7586 01/03/03 02:57 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Have you thought about the Outlaw 1050? It's been very well reviewed for its music and home theater performance, and is only 500 US plus shipping, with a money-back guarantee a-la Axiom.

I own the Arcam AVR100, which would likely run you about 800 bucks U.S. these days, but sounds fantastic with music...totally embarassed the Denon 3802 in a head-to-head comparison.

#7587 01/03/03 09:54 AM
regular
regular
If you want to stay within the $500 limit, then I second the recommendation of the Outlaw.
Here are some links: the first is to the Outlaw 1050; the second is to a note in the December newsletter about "B" stock, which may no longer be available; and the third link is to reviews.

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/1050.html
http://www.outlawaudio.com/news/news_dec02_other.html
http://www.outlawaudio.com//reviews/1050reviews.html

#7588 01/03/03 03:13 PM
duffin Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I was afraid this might happen. Like I said, I am looking at an ES receiver. Everyone I know is happy with ES quality, if not mass market Sony quality. As far as I know, Sony specs their receivers with continuous power at full bandwidth all channels driven. I'm familiar with the "circuit city sales technique" and that wattage numbers alone mean nothing.

I'm not really questioning the Sony ES quality, I'm more concerned with how it sounds. I don't want it to sound too forward or thin with the Axioms. They seem to me like they both have forward characteristics. Like a Les Paul with a Fender amp for any guitar players out there – not necessarily a great pairing IMO.
So is that concern valid? Or would another receiver sound noticeably smoother, but just as ballsy, as the Sony.

In a perfect world, I'd be buying a Rotel. Their reputation for stereo quality is exactly what I want. However, their costs are prohibitive at this point.

Outlaw keeps getting good reviews, but I have to rule it out because of inadequate connections.
I was also scared off from them when I saw this article:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php
(it's 8 pages, but chopped up for convenience, so it's not that long with pictures)
Perhaps I shouldn't be scared, as it shows 3 receivers that were virtually identical, the Outlaw being least expensive. I digress...

So who’s got a Rotel killer at about $500?

#7589 01/03/03 10:44 PM
shareholder in the making
PD, note that you can get the DA2ES for about $500,which would be a good buy. Second, don't worry about the "sound". The recording, speakers and listening room will determine that, not the receiver.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#7590 01/04/03 02:08 PM
E
E
1. Another receiver you might want to look at for a great price
is the HK520. I just got mine and this thing weighs a ton. It is available at onecall.com for $530 shipped.
2. i can't find the URL to the site at the moment, but it lists
many receivers and their "true" power output under various conditions. i will try to find it and post it later.

3. JohnK - are you saying that receivers have minimum influence on the quality of sound? i would think that speakers/acoustics would have the most, but from what i have read recently, many suggest that receivers influence heavily also.

#7591 01/05/03 03:37 AM
Ent, that's what both reading on the subject(scientifically controlled studies, that is, not casual opinions)and my personal experience tell me. An amplifier having flat response from 20-20Khz with inaudibly low distortion(easily available at low cost these days)is all that's necessary so far as sound quality goes. The three factors I mentioned previously are the determinants of that.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#7592 01/05/03 05:13 AM
old hand
old hand
MARANTZ. check out hificom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup