Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Replacement Receiver/Separates...Advise Needed!
#120633 12/14/05 03:28 PM
JoeRock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi Everyone...very glad to be here, great forum. I have been lurking for the past few days reading lots of posts on many different subjects. My wife and I have been trying a temporary home theater set up in a dedicated room in our basement over the last few months. The room measures 35'L x 15'W x 8'H. We have purchased an Infocus DLP Projector and a 16x9 Carada screen which we have been very impressed and decided to purchase leather theater style seating. We decided to do two rows of three for the seating. We now fell in love with the idea. So now the Home Theater is a must for us. We plan to upgrade our current system (circuit city/best buy components from college) in approx 1 yr...problem happend this past weekend when our current receiver went out to lunch. No surround at all... just have two channel output and very weak at that...its killing us. Went from DD 5.1 to very weak 2 ch. AWFUL! Thus the main reason for my post, we need a new receiver or time to upgrade to separates to feed our future Axiom speaker purchase. I have a few questions concerning receivers or separates.

I have been learning about Axiom's excellent performance to value ratio here. For my speaker needs I am totally sold on Axiom. I really like the idea of Epic 80 system for my room.

First Question: Size of my room ok for M80s? (ear position is approx 13' from front wall in first row) Would M60 be better fit...80s overkill?

Second Question: I do see (hear) the difference in going with separates...Do you have any recommendations on a Pre/Pro Amp Separates to drive the above mentioned systems using the Axiom perfomance to value ratio? I would like to remain in a "Axiom" value type situation when selecting my components. Any recommendations?

A colleague has recommended Outlaw separates to power Axiom’s Epic 80 system. 80s at 4 ohms hard on amp? What are your thoughts on Outlaw? Are you guys using separates or are you getting away with receivers?

I appreciate any and all comments. I have an open mind and I am willing to consider all possibilities and recommendations. My wife and I both being professionals, using my time wisely I figured this forum would be the best place to start my research. Thank you to all that reply. I look forward to visiting this forum.

Joe
Re: Replacement Receiver/Separates...Advise Needed!
#120634 12/14/05 03:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great room for an EPIC 80 - 500 or 600.

For receivers, the Denon 3805, 3806, 4806 etc as well as several H/Ks will handle the 80s with no problem.

The Outlaw's 970 and 990 look like they have great features. They will have new amps, the 7500 and 7700, 200 x 5 and 7, due out soon.

I use the Denon 3805 and 3 Oulaw monoblocks for my L/C/R, not because I have to, just because I like them.

Good Luck!

Re: Replacement Receiver/Separates...Advise Needed
#120635 12/14/05 05:00 PM
devotee
devotee
It is always a difficult decision. I think you've made a wide choice going with Axiom.
The money you save for the performance will aloow you to get the Epic 80. It may be more than you need but if money is not a problem then that should be fine.

That being said, you would not sacrifice anything by going with the M60s. They will get plenty loud enough unless you like ear-bleed level .

What size of room do you have? Waht are you room dimensions? Have you run the Home Theater Wizard?

I also agree with going with Outlaw Audio for separates. It is difficult to beat their price/performance ratio. I believe that separates will yield better dynamics than the receivers. Unless you have a HUGE space to fill with sound, the Outlaws will handle the M80s with no problem.

If you are complete revamping your home theater setup, I'd also recommend going to 7.1 to get the most out of your movie watching experience.

#120636 12/14/05 05:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with everything Doug and Bruce have suggested.

Another option you might consider is the Emotiva Ultra Lite pre amp and amp. The hangup with the Emotivas is they haven't been released yet, and you appear to be in need RIGHT NOW!. The Beta 2 testing is just about to begin, so there just is no way to predict when they will become available. My best guess is January or February, but ya never know.

The Emotivas go for $1198 unless you are a previous av123 customer, or you bundle the Emotivas with a speaker buy. Under those circumstances, you can get the pair for $998.

The comparable package from Outlaw, the 970 preamp and 7125 amp (125 watts per channel), would go for $1598, but you could get the 970 and 7075 amp (75 watts per channel) for $1298. However, in a room as large as yours, you might need a bit more headroom than the 7025 has to offer at 75 watts per channel.

The 970 preamp offers more features than the Emotiva preamp (DVI switching, more digital inputs, etc.). The Emotiva is a relatively bare bones preamp, but the sound quality is reputed to be fantastic.

I'd be VERY interested to hear what the 970 preamp ($699) paired with the Emotiva UL amp ($599) sounded like. That would come to $1298 for the pair (plus shipping, of course), and you'd have a feature rich preamp with the 125 watt Emotiva amp, instead of the 75 watt Outlaw amp.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#120637 12/14/05 07:36 PM
HI, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME IN POSTING SOMETHING ON THIS WEB SITE. I CURRENTLY PURCHASED 3 SINGLE M 80Ti's. I AM EXTREMELY BLOWN AWAY HOW GREAT THESE SPEAKERS ARE. I HAD B&W6025'S SERIES 2 WHICH WHERE DESTROYED IN JULY 17/05 BY LIGHTING. THEY HAD INTERNAL SUBS AND THE COST REPLACING THEM MADE MORE SENSE. I HAVE ALWAYS PURCHASE HIGH QUALITY PRODUCTS PUT THROUGH THE YEARS OF ME UPGRADING AV EQUIPMENT I QUICKLY LEARNED THERE ARE OUTSTANDING PRODUCTS OUT THERE THAT ARE A SUBSTANTIAL CHEAPER THEN HIGHER PRICED PRODUCTS. MY FIRST ADVICE TO YOU IS THAT YOU HAVE DO RESEARCH AND DO CRITICAL LISTENING ON PRODUCTS.SO FOR ME TO REPLACE MY B&W WAS HARD BUT I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND I VERY HAPPY WITH THE QUALITY OF PRODUCT. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RECIEVER I RECOMMEND ONE THING KNOW BODY TELLS YOU! PURCHASE ANY RECIEVER YOU CAN AFFORD BUT IT MUST HAVE ALL CHANNELS PRE-OUTS ON IT. WHAT THIS DOE'S FOR YOU IT LETS YOU START OF WITH A EASIER SETUP AND COST EFFECTIVE FOR YOU TO START OFF. THE PRE-OUTS WILL ALLOW YOU TO ADD A 5 OR 7 CHANNEL AMP IN THE FUTURE AND THIS IS A MAJOR UPGRADE PATH FOR YOU.WHEN YOU UPGRADE WITH SEPERATE AMPS THE DYNAMICS AND THE PRESENCE OF SOUND IN WAY BETTER. PURCHASE A RECIEVER WITH 6 OR 8 CHANNEL PRE-OUT FOR FUTURE UPGRADING. PIONEER HAS A GREAT MODEL AT $600.00 WITH THIS FEATURE. I PERSONNALLY AM A DENON GUY BUT WHEN I FIRST STARTED I HAD A YAMAHA 3090 THEN UPGRADE IT WITH A 5 CHANNEL BRYSTON AMP AND IT SOUNDED AWESOME. I HAD THIS UNIT FOR 5 YEARS THEN SOLD IT TO A FRIEND.THIS UNIT WAS JUST DOLBY DIGITAL NO DTS THATS WHY I CHANGED THE UNIT. ACTUALLY TO THIS DAY SOME OF MY MUSIC DVD'S NEVER SOUNDED BETTER THEN WITH THE YAMAHA PROCESSING.BUY ANYTHING YOU WANT DON'T LISTEN TO THESE SO CALLED SALE GUYS. BUY SOMETHING YOU WILL KNOW TO USE WITH A LEARNING REMOTE IS VERY IMPORTANT. ONE REMOTE SHOULD CONTROL YOUR SYSTEM. JUST TAKE THE TIME TO PROGRAM THE LEARNING FEATURES.WHEN YOU BUY SOMETHING PURCHASE THE EXTRA WARRANT.THE YAMAHA I HAD A 6 YEAR WARRANY FOR $150.00 AND IN THE 5 YEAR THE MOTORIZED VOLUME BROKE DOWN. WITH IN ONE WEEK I HAD THE UNIT WORKING 100% .IT WORTH IT.I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Last edited by theaterman; 12/14/05 07:39 PM.
#120638 12/14/05 08:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi Theaterman. Welcome to the forum. I'm very glad you're happy with your Axioms. We all have had the joy of discovering Axiom's excellent cost to quality ratio.

May I, respectfully, bring up a little internet etiquette? First, using all capital letters is considered shouting, and should be used only when that is your intent, or to EMPHASIZE the occasional word or phrase.

Second, If you'll break up long posts into paragraphs, it makes it easier to read and understand.

Again, WELCOME!

Jack

#120639 12/14/05 11:35 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Here's theaterman's message:

<<Hi, this is my first time in posting something on this web site.

I currently purchased 3 single m 80ti's. I am extremely blown away how great these speakers are. I had b&w6025's series 2 which where destroyed in july 17/05 by lighting. They had internal subs and the cost replacing them made more sense.

I have always purchase high quality products put through the years of me upgrading av equipment i quickly learned there are outstanding products out there that are a substantial cheaper then higher priced products.

My first advice to you is that you have do research and do critical listening on products.so for me to replace my b&w was hard but i took the plunge and i very happy with the quality of product.

If you are looking for a reciever i recommend one thing know body tells you! Purchase any reciever you can afford but it must have all channels pre-outs on it. What this doe's for you it lets you start of with a easier setup and cost effective for you to start off. The pre-outs will allow you to add a 5 or 7 channel amp in the future and this is a major upgrade path for you.when you upgrade with seperate amps the dynamics and the presence of sound in way better. Purchase a reciever with 6 or 8 channel pre-out for future upgrading.

Pioneer has a great model at $600.00 with this feature. I personnally am a denon guy but when i first started i had a yamaha 3090 then upgrade it with a 5 channel bryston amp and it sounded awesome. I had this unit for 5 years then sold it to a friend.this unit was just dolby digital no dts thats why i changed the unit.

Actually to this day some of my music dvd's never sounded better then with the yamaha processing.buy anything you want don't listen to these so called sale guys.

Buy something you will know to use with a learning remote is very important. One remote should control your system. Just take the time to program the learning features.

when you buy something purchase the extra warrant.the yamaha i had a 6 year warrany for $150.00 and in the 5 year the motorized volume broke down. With in one week i had the unit working 100% .it worth it.

i hope this helps.>>

Hope this helps

#120640 12/15/05 12:09 AM
local
local
any ideas when the new outlaws may be coming out ??
thanks

#120641 12/15/05 02:25 PM
JoeRock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
bugbitten,

Denon 3805 looks like a great receiver at an even greater price point...have you used your 3805 to drive the M80s? Wondering if it would handle the M80s for now and then upgrade to separate amp later and use the 3805 as the processor. Looking forward to your comments!

Thanks,

Joe
#120642 12/15/05 02:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very Kind of you, Doug! Bravo

Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16