Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Samsung 50"DLP
#143885 07/21/06 04:08 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hey does anybody have a HL-S5088W or HL-S5087W? I'm in the market for a new television and i've been looking at these two. Can anybody explain the purpose of the RS232C Control?

on the 5088 it says the color wheel is 14,400 RPM and on the 5087 is says the color wheel is 55mm/5 segment are these different? The 5087 has less features which in don't mind, I just don't want the video quailty to be less. So if anyone has researched these before or if they know what some of this stuff means that would be great!

Or if there is another TV I should consider that would be comparable to these. Thanks for you help.

Andrew

Harman/Kardon DPR-2005 | SVS PB12-ISD | M22s | QS4s | M2s | VP-150
Re: Samsung 50"DLP
AndrewSW #143886 07/21/06 04:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Andrew,

In theory, the faster the color wheel and the more segments it has, the less visible will be the "rainbow effects" that are a potential side effect of DLP front and rear-projection units.

However, I've found little correlation of visible rainbow effects with the stated color wheel rpm and number of segments.

Only a tiny percentage of viewers are susceptible to seeing rainbow effects (brief flashes of rainbow-like colors sometimes visible in night scenes with bright lights in the image). Do you see any rainbow effects with either set, or with other DLP sets?

Because I test stuff and write about it, I taught myself to see rainbow effects and I'm not going to tell you how to do it because then you might look for them and find them annoying. None of my friends or family have ever complained or noticed rainbow effects with my 50-inch Samsung, nor has anyone at Axiom's plant noticed them using various DLP projectors.

If you don't see them, don't worry about the color wheel specs. The only DLP sets that do not produce rainbow effects are the new Samsung set that uses three separate red, green and blue LED light sources instead of a single projector bulb, and very expensive three-chip DLP projectors.

The RS-232 connection is used for some whole-house computer control and universal control systems, if memory serves. Other board members can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #143887 07/21/06 09:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

nor has anyone at Axiom's plant noticed them using various DLP projectors

You know, i don't recall seeing any 'screening room' at the plant.
Is this a new addition? Right next to the coffee room or anechoic chamber perhaps?
Must be next to the coffee room since the bass from movies could interfere with the chamber testing.
Yep, that must be it.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
alan #143888 07/21/06 09:55 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks for the info on the rainbow effects Alan. I did some research and found out that both sets I mentioned have the same speed wheel.

I went to Best Buy to look at the samsung and to be honest I was that impressed. I saw a lot of artifacts, it just didn't look that sharp. It was right next to a Sony KDS-R50XBR1. The Sony looked quite a bit better. Artifacts were not near as much noticable, and the color was much more accurate compared to the samsung.

Has anyone else compared the Sony's to any other sets, because I didn't see any other screens that compared. The Sony is only $600 more than the Samsung, but image quality is well worth the added cost. I was just curious if anyone else has the same opinions, because all I ever read on most forums is nothing but praise for the Samsungs.

AndrewSW #143889 07/22/06 02:22 AM
shareholder in the making
Andrew, my view is similar to yours. If you're going to get a rear projection set, the 50" and 60" Sony XBRs are the way to go if your budget will accomodate them.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

AndrewSW #143890 07/22/06 02:30 AM
old hand
old hand
I had two different Samsung DLP the first was the pedistal model the next was the 60" with the updated color wheel. I gave up on DLP due to a strange defect in how they porject DVDs. It's seem when there is a lower grade signal (other than HD) in low lit secenes faces can take on a weird almost "plastic" or chalk drawing look. The subtle shades which show contour in skin aren't produced. I saw this with 3 different DVD players, Denon, Sony and a Samsung player.
I decided to go with the Sony SXRD 50" and found the picture incredible. DVDs look near HD quality (depending on the DVD.) The color spectrum is higher too, as well as the contrast shades from white to black. The picture with the SXRD is the closest I've ever seen to "tube" quality without the fear of burn in and other issues which that come with plasma.
If you're planning to view mostly HD TV I don't think having a DLP will show any signs or problems, however, if DVDs are on your schedule I would suggest the SXRD.

AndrewSW #143891 07/22/06 02:34 AM
old hand
old hand
I'm surprised to hear someone didn't like the new HL-S5087W by Samsung. I've seen it at a local Circuit City, displaying some 1080p HD source, and it was absolutely AWESOME!! Make sure that you know what the display units are displaying. Perhaps it wasn't the full 1080p, but only (!) 720, or even worse, EDTV or SDTV.... Verify the sourse that the unit is actually displaying.

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion: you must set yourself on fire!
chesseroo #143892 07/22/06 02:49 AM
Quote:

You know, i don't recall seeing any 'screening room' at the plant.

I don't think you can get in there. Word is that Tharkun holed himself up in there and won't come out or let anyone in. That's why we haven't heard from him since his Axiom trip.

alan #143893 07/22/06 06:13 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

Verify the sourse that the unit is actually displaying

VikingShips... I originally thought the same that maybe the Sony had a different video source. However, I don't know if the samsung was 1080p (i'll go back tomorrow to check), but the sony was side by side w/the samunsung, and both were outputing the same signal (HD) and there really wasn't a comparision at all in my opinion. I went to best buy after I left Circuit City, and they had the 60" and 61" sony/samsung side by side and they image was definitely much much better on the Sony.

I was quite surprised when I came home to do research online to see what other people thought and I virtually didn't see anyone talking about the sony's. Everyone was praising the Samsungs, I just wondering if there was something I was missing.

Is it correct that the Sony's don't do 1080p? Is that something that is going to change in the near future? How many devices are actually going to be able to output 1080p anyway?

AndrewSW #143894 07/22/06 06:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have an older Samsung DLP and my friend has a brand new (few months) one, both 50 inches. I think they both look terrific with anything we throw at em but some how after a couple weeks of having mine I now see the 'rainbow effect' pretty constantly, on both of them. My friend doesn't and nobody else even watching my older one does. I've learned to sort of ignore it now and I still love my TV as I prefer DLP picture quality to LCD. My dad has a CRT RPTV that is a few years old now (Mits) and looks great but I wanted 720p over 1080i.

Here's to hoping SED comes out soon and gets affordable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters