Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help for samiam
#199005 03/04/08 04:41 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Quote:
My room is fairly small, 14x18'. Music wise I listen to Jazz but since I've never any kind of home theatre equipment I would imagine another can of worms is to be addressed other than th 'ol straight ahead stereo. I'm guessing that addressing the dynamics of movie tracks may take on a whole new tact. I will be trying to replicate ,clean,tight and realistically nuetral(?) sounds at soft and loud levels at times. If these speaks are a little brittle I have a hard time with P's, S's, and T's anyway...getting older,pardon the word...sucks. This is what attracted me to Axiom, If I can save some on the speaks I'll have some for the other electronic stuff. Hope some of this makes sense, I'm not so sure myself.

Here you go, Sam, created a thread for you. This'll make it easier for others to help you.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Help for samiam
St_PatGuy #199015 03/04/08 05:09 PM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
Hey,
THANKS again!
Hope everybody can cope with me as virtually any technical stuff is pushing it for me.
Thanks again and look forward to any and all response.
Sam

samiam #199016 03/04/08 05:17 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hey, no problem Sam. I'm trying to come up with some advice for you, but, unfortunately I'm at work and it's hard to set aside some time.

Be patient. Others will definitely chime in with good advice.

I've only had experience with Axiom M3s and M40s (which are now discontinued, but close to the M50s). These are considered a bit more laid back than other speakers in the Axiom line-up, such as the M22s and M80s, which are generally considered more "accurate." I think the jury is still out on the M60s with recent member reviews. Since I haven't heard the M22s, M60s, or M80s hopefully others will jump in.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
samiam #199019 03/04/08 05:26 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Hey Sam, welcome. Axiom speakers are great value speakers with excellent customer service and forum ;\)

Here's a link Speaker Wizard that may help you with speaker choice.

As for receivers or seperates (in your original post) to match with Axiom, this has been discussed many times here. Most common response is that no amp will make a speaker brighter or change the sound characteristic unless using a sound format like Rock mode, Jazz mode, Concert mode, etc. When it comes to seperates though not a common consenseus. With some forum members recently purchasing the new Axiom digital super amp there has been more believing that there are differences between receivers and seps. Such as, tighter bass/mid, faster response and overall more realistic.

I would look for something that has the functions you want, in your price range and a decent power supply with min. 100 watt/channel. From what I've learned, I would much rather put my money towards great speakers. As long as they are being run within the capabilities of the receiver they will rock. You can always add on a 2 channel amp if needed down the road.

Good luck.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
St_PatGuy #199020 03/04/08 05:28 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Well having been one to directly compare all the posibilities except the M50s I break it down as the M80s if you can afford them , then the M60's and then the M22+sub, but you will want a sub anyway for movies.

The M80s have a more spacious/open sound at all volumes while the M60s needed a bit of extra volume to attain the same sound. The M22s are a great bookshelf but lack a certain something when compared to the floorstanders even when paired with a good sub.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
samiam #199021 03/04/08 05:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi Samiam and welcome.

I'm betting you will get a couple of good suggestions here. Also, you might want to start reading some of the great articles in the Axiom Learning Center off of the main page. There are some great explanations and tips on how to get started in HT. I bet you will then have lots of more detailed questions we can have fun digging deeper into here.

I suggest starting with these as they are well written, even if you are not super technical, as you suggest.

Home Theater Basics

Home Theater Buying Tips

As a Stereo Guy, you probably don't need this one as much but just in case, it will keep you from getting burned by buying overpriced speaker cable.
What's in a Cable

Finally, since again you mentioned being a 'stereo guy'....
Loosen up Stereo Guy! You just might enjoy Music in 51.
If nothing else, you get to read about Alan Loft's self proclaimed crankiness. In his defense, he seems to be very patient with us.

With out knowing anything else but your room size and listening habits, I think starting with the Epic 60 HT system would be a good starting point and you can work your way up or down from there with further discussions here. Budget and many other factors will tell the tale in the end.

I wasn't sure if you meant you wanted to avoid brightness and more accurate sibilance or that your hearing required help with it. I don't think you will have to worry about any of these speakers being too bright but they are very accurate and neutral, as you desire. If you actually do need a little more annunciation with the shriller noises and "s"s and stuff, M80 and M22s in a bookshelf are probably the most accurate in the extreme highs and could help there.

If you are sensative to this in a bad way, then maybe back to M60s as first choice. Thier accuracy is still amazing but just every so slightly less sensitive in those areas.

Please note, I own two pairs of M60s but have never heard M80 myself. So I should let you know that I am basing the above advice on what is always common consensus on these boards and from the specs you can view.

Anyways, planning and deciding on this stuff is half the fun. Enjoy.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #199022 03/04/08 05:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK people are not aloud to post ahead of me when I take too long to write long babbling posts. LOL \:\)

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #199029 03/04/08 06:44 PM
J
J
But your post think was more helpful than my quick little one.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #199032 03/04/08 07:04 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
The experts have already chimed in with lots of helpful stuff, but as a relatively new m60s owner, I can tell you that the difference between them and my old speakers (a not-too-shabby set of athenas) is night and day. Instrumental Jazz and acoustic guitar tracks sound especially amazing.

Besides, Axiom's return policy really is "hassle free," so there's no real risk whatever you decide.

jakewash #199034 03/04/08 07:27 PM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
Hello,
and a BIG THX thus far to all for taking the time to reply, oh and Murph,yes, I meant the hearing ain't what it tused to be. I guess I'm a little apprehensive since first getting into audio. I can recall buying a new pair of Infinity column 1A's and a KA-8300 amp.,anyway for the time and for my money/ears that little system just killed. Later on I got a HK Citation amp & pre which quickyl smoked the infinity's (literally)-OOPS! A salesman persuded (yes I was easily persuded back then) to by a pair of B&W 3000's. The end result the system did not sound as good as the 'ol Kenwood/Infinity combo. I borrowed an NAD amp from the store and patced it in to the H&K pre and the diff was like night and day. I've been out of audio for some time now...sometimes life does strange things. Nowadays there are more Elecronic and speaker companies than people in some of the towns I've lived in. Heck I'd go for the Axiom trial but I have not bought the electronics yet and without hearing either...I think a road trip is about due. Hell, I'm being log winded and I'm still not sure any of this makes sense.:^)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup